Jets' Rushing Attack Overrated

Jetsfan.com

nice article. I've noticed that the truly great running teams have running attacks late in a game where a bad play will get them three yards. I don't know if it was the play calling or the dancing bear but the Jets rarely ran a team right off the field. Tennessee would be the exception but i would like to see Greene or Washington step up their games late, not only that but have the CS show some confidence in running the ball to finish games.

I think Shonn Greene could potentially bring them up to where they are 'over rated' to. But he's a rook and theres no guarantees.

And this might be the most interesting spam I've seen yet. Just kidding, I'm a jetsfan.com member.

The 2008 season was all about Farve. Now that Farve is gone, and a coach that says that Leon will have more touches, I see our running attack improving this season.

The only problem I see with running the ball this season is the lack of WR's. Unless we have someone step up this season that defenses will know we dont have a deep threat. But at least if there is a problem running...its not because of the RB's or O-line (which is a little comforting IMO)

9th in the NFL, overall rushing yards.

5th in the NFL, rushing TDs.

19th in attempts.

+

Second year playing together

+

A 3rd back who is a real bruiser

=

:box:

And of course the unspoken factor of T-Rich. Provided he comes back from that injury, this guy is like your 6th offensive lineman in a way.

We're OK...I think we need to prove we're as good as people keep saying we are...Greene should help significantly because

1. RB is an easy position to transition to, especially behind a good O-line

2. I thought we were way more overrated when it was just Jones and Leon...that wouldn't shock/surprise teams.

Unless Greene gets injured he'll be productive. He's a RB behind a good O-line...half his job is already done for him. It's just hard to draft an RB who is a bust for reasons not injury related when you have a good O-line. Even former bust Benson is likely to carve himself a career in the league anyway.

The Jets will learn this year how well the running attack really is. Its a legit question whether the Jets simply did not call for the run because of their philosophy or because they did not believe that they could be carried by the running game. The Jets running game was very effective in three aspects last year- yards per carry, really big plays, and being able to get into the end zone.

Where the team was poor was in the semi big runs which is why they did so poorly in running for many first downs on the ground. Other than Washington there is basically no big play potential. The Jets 20+ numbers were ridiculously low for a team that is supposed to have good backs.

The blocking tight end issue is really overrated though. Im not sure you could point to too many times where the Jets were successful because Baker was in to block. Most of the runs did not even really involve him. The only real benefit a player like Baker gives is that you can mask run/pass better than if its Keller (pretty much pass only) or Turner (run only).

We're OK...I think we need to prove we're as good as people keep saying we are...Greene should help significantly because

1. RB is an easy position to transition to, especially behind a good O-line

2. I thought we were way more overrated when it was just Jones and Leon...that wouldn't shock/surprise teams.

Unless Greene gets injured he'll be productive. He's a RB behind a good O-line...half his job is already done for him. It's just hard to draft an RB who is a bust for reasons not injury related when you have a good O-line. Even former bust Benson is likely to carve himself a career in the league anyway.

Greene was injured today with a muscle pull in the leg (forget where), and he was banged up the other day, too.

Blah, blah, blah...

I don't buy the whole premise. There's a lot of chatter about this smashmouth football team the Rex Ryan wants to be, but Schottenheimer's still running the offense and I don't see much changing. The Jets will continue to pass on first down often. They will be running a lot more shifts and motions than they did last year with Favre, who didn't like all the pre-snap movement. Keller's role in the passing game will increase, and they'll continue to run those damn WR screens that always drive me nuts.

The only real benefit a player like Baker gives is that you can mask run/pass better than if its Keller (pretty much pass only) or Turner (run only).

That's no small point, IMHO.

To counter that somewhat this year they'll have Brad Smith on the field more as a WR, and they'll be able to run more gadget plays with him with signaling to the dee that he's in there strictly for another gimmick. But it's not the same. A true, all-around TE is going to be missed here until Keller gets his blocking up to speed.

Bottom line, this whole smashmouth thing is a smokescreen, and the Jets will continue to try to run a balanced attack. A lot of higher percentage passes, but the run/pass ratio will be similar to past seasons.

Blah, blah, blah...

I don't buy the whole premise. There's a lot of chatter about this smashmouth football team the Rex Ryan wants to be, but Schottenheimer's still running the offense and I don't see much changing. The Jets will continue to pass on first down often. They will be running a lot more shifts and motions than they did last year with Favre, who didn't like all the pre-snap movement. Keller's role in the passing game will increase, and they'll continue to run those damn WR screens that always drive me nuts.

Bottom line, this whole smashmouth thing is a smokescreen, and the Jets will continue to try to run a balanced attack. A lot of higher percentage passes, but the run/pass ratio will be similar to past seasons.

I think we'll know early on how much power Schottenheimer really has. His offense is a pass first offense. Its not just Favre being here last year, either. His only true balanced season was 2006 and if you take the QB keepers out of it, the numbers still slant to pass over run. He likes those stupid WR screens to take the place of the runs. At least he started using some bubble type screens with the RBs last season, which is much more effective, IMO, than the quick dumps to Cotchery or Smith.

It's strange the Jets GM built the team to run with heavy investments in Woody and Faneca plus the additions of a workhorse in Thomas Jones and FB Tony Richardson, but the coaching philosophy of his OC is pass. Other than the drafting of Dustin Keller there is little that has been done to help the passing game at least for the short term. The team has neglected the WR position and the offensive line is nothing better than an average pass blocking unit. I still dont get why we kept Schottenheimer. Maybe its really all Mangini.

I think we'll know early on how much power Schottenheimer really has. His offense is a pass first offense. Its not just Favre being here last year, either. His only true balanced season was 2006 and if you take the QB keepers out of it, the numbers still slant to pass over run. He likes those stupid WR screens to take the place of the runs. At least he started using some bubble type screens with the RBs last season, which is much more effective, IMO, than the quick dumps to Cotchery or Smith.

It's strange the Jets GM built the team to run with heavy investments in Woody and Faneca plus the additions of a workhorse in Thomas Jones and FB Tony Richardson, but the coaching philosophy of his OC is pass. Other than the drafting of Dustin Keller there is little that has been done to help the passing game at least for the short term. The team has neglected the WR position and the offensive line is nothing better than an average pass blocking unit. I still dont get why we kept Schottenheimer. Maybe its really all Mangini.

This is what confuses me most. Rex claims to want an all weather smashmouth offense but then you keep an OC that all he wants to do is fool you with smoke and mirrors. Schotty Jr. is not a line up and let us over power you type of OC. That's not his style. He wants motions and shifts and he wants to keep the D guessing who's getting the ball and how? True smashmouth teams, line up and say let ****ing fight, our line will whip your lines ass. I dont see that in Schotty Jr. although I do see it in our personel.

Never been a big fan of Schotty, hopefully you are right and Mangini had his hand in more than we thought.

The TE thingy is concerning. However, we used Wayne Turner a lot in the running game.

I still cant believe we havent signed Daniel Wilcox.

I don't believe it to be that concerning to be honest. I think if we go with "big" sets with two TE's it will keep D's less clued in on what we're doing.

Schotty Jr. is not a line up and let us over power you type of OC. That's not his style. He wants motions and shifts and he wants to keep the D guessing who's getting the ball and how? True smashmouth teams, line up and say let ****ing fight, our line will whip your lines ass. I dont see that in Schotty Jr. although I do see it in our personel.

Honestly, I don't see it in our personnel, and I don't see the commitment in that direction from the front office, either. Under two different head coaches, the team has traded for Favre and Sanchez in back-to-back years. You don't invest that way in the QB position if you're thinking "smashmouth."

I also see our OL as more athletic than dominant. Better suited to get out in front of Leon Washington on a screen than to plow TJ up the middle for four yards. D'Brick is a below average run blocker. The Jets are also a couple TE's shy of a strong rushing OL. A Kyle Brady or Anthony Becht would be welcome here. The only commitment I see to the running game from the front office is it's complete disregard for the WR position.

Honestly, I don't see it in our personnel, and I don't see the commitment in that direction from the front office, either. Under two different head coaches, the team has traded for Favre and Sanchez in back-to-back years. You don't invest that way in the QB position if you're thinking "smashmouth."

I also see our OL as more athletic than dominant. Better suited to get out in front of Leon Washington on a screen than to plow TJ up the middle for four yards. D'Brick is a below average run blocker. The Jets are also a couple TE's shy of a strong rushing OL. A Kyle Brady or Anthony Becht would be welcome here. The only commitment I see to the running game from the front office is it's complete disregard for the WR position.

You don't see a commitment to the running game? Trying to get a decent QB doesn't indicate that you want a pass first offense. They certainly couldn't continue with the **** they've had there. Sure D'Brick is lean and not the best run blocker, but they went out and got Woody and Faneca who are both about as smashmouth as it gets. They drafted Greene, a bruising type runner. They signed Richardson (and Franks) known for blocking. They brought in a highly respected offensive coach simply to organize the running game. I agree that Schottenheimer seems a little more into a gimmick oriented pass offense, but I think that goes fairly well with the running game. It just changes the feel that you have as a fan.

Well Slats, we just arent seeing eye to eye on anything this offseason. ;)

27 pretty much provides the same rebuttal that I was going to give you in repsonse to your post.

I think you are highly underrating how talented we are inbetween the tackles. Faneca, Mangold, Moore can open holes up in the middle on the Dline for sure. Throw in T-Rich to knock a LB on his ass, and we have the personel for sure. Along with a graet blocking RT.

The TE thing is concerning to me, but if you recall, we used Turner quite a bit last season. Now its going to make it obvious we are running the ball, but its easy to see that any time we dont have Keller in the game to begin with...also, the TE that we do have are no threat to catch the ball whatsoever. Hopefully Schotty Jr. can use his smoke and mirrors to disguise the obvious.

You don't see a commitment to the running game? Trying to get a decent QB doesn't indicate that you want a pass first offense. They certainly couldn't continue with the **** they've had there. Sure D'Brick is lean and not the best run blocker, but they went out and got Woody and Faneca who are both about as smashmouth as it gets. They drafted Greene, a bruising type runner. They signed Richardson (and Franks) known for blocking. They brought in a highly respected offensive coach simply to organize the running game. I agree that Schottenheimer seems a little more into a gimmick oriented pass offense, but I think that goes fairly well with the running game. It just changes the feel that you have as a fan.

Good post. Pretty much what I was going to say in response to slats.

Archived