Finally, the Favre "pick" mystery is solved

SoFlaJets

August 5, 2009

Well, I think it's solved. Here's what I've learned:

It was recently reported that the Jets returned the seventh-round pick (2010) they received from the Packers in the Brett Favre trade. In fact, this transaction, revealed this week by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, was completed before the draft. Basically, the Jets didn

If he was no longer under contract to us then why did we have to send the pick to Green Bay? I don't understand this at all.

You can not trade the same pick twice, even if one trade is only theortically possible.

The Jets in theory could sign Brett Favre this year (he is a FA) and then trade him to the Vikings. (highly unlikely but possible).

Therefore going into the draft the Jets were barred from trading there 2010, 2011 or 2012 1st round draft picks to move up in the 2009 draft.

You can not trade the same pick twice, even if one trade is only theortically possible.

The Jets in theory could sign Brett Favre this year (he is a FA) and then trade him to the Vikings. (highly unlikely but possible).

Therefore going into the draft the Jets were barred from trading there 2010, 2011 or 2012 1st round draft picks to move up in the 2009 draft.

Thanks for the explanation. I would have thought that once Favre became a FA that "finalized" the GB trade. It was similar to the Vilma deal. Once Vilma became a FA the Saints didn't owe the Jets anything even though they resigned him. Mike T gets taken once again. :(

Thanks for the explanation. I would have thought that once Favre became a FA that "finalized" the GB trade. It was similar to the Vilma deal. Once Vilma became a FA the Saints didn't owe the Jets anything even though they resigned him. Mike T gets taken once again. :(

Come to think of it. At the time of the draft, Favre was NOT a FA. He was retired reservered to the Jets. He was released after the draft (and this trade.)

Also to my knowldge the exact language of the contract has not been released and is a matter of speculation. One report I read said it was the orginal deal was actually strutured so that if Favre became a QB in the NFCN no matter the route during 2008 or 2009 the Jets owed GB three firsts. This was to prevent the Jets from trading to another team that then traded him to the Vikings or some kinda of sham deal where the Vikings trade the Jets a 1st round pick for a punter and then Favre gets released the next day out of camp (2008) and signs as a FA with Minn. If the contract was structured that way this trade would have been necessary to release Favre from retired reserved.

The signing of Brett Favre was quite possibly the worst thing to happen to this team in ten years. Failure, collapse, embarassment, firings, and being made to look like chumps by the Packers, Brett Favre, and the PSL Posse of Woody and Mike T.

I never wanted Favre in the 1st place ( much like I don't want Sanchez ) but once he got here I felt a renewed optimism that I haven't had for several years. When we were 8-3 I felt the post season was a sure thing. Then Favre got hurt and the rest is history :( . I think last year was , for me, the absolute pits as far as being a Jets fan. Still wonder if Brett hadn't gotten hurt .... :-k

The signing of Brett Favre was quite possibly the worst thing to happen to this team in ten years. Failure, collapse, embarassment, firings, and being made to look like chumps by the Packers, Brett Favre, and the PSL Posse of Woody and Mike T.

The whole thing was about Favre and all his drama.

C'mon, it wasn't THAT bad. We were coming off a four-win season, our veteran QB was getting old, we were losing confidence in our young QB, and Favre was coming off a great season where he led his team deep into the playoffs.

I don't blame 'em a bit for making the trade.

We were doing pretty good, too, until the wheels came off at the end. Bummer? Yes. But disaster which sets us back years? No.

C'mon, it wasn't THAT bad. We were coming off a four-win season, our veteran QB was getting old, we were losing confidence in our young QB, and Favre was coming off a great season where he led his team deep into the playoffs.

I don't blame 'em a bit for making the trade.

We were doing pretty good, too, until the wheels came off at the end. Bummer? Yes. But disaster which sets us back years? No.

We traded for Brett and dumped Penny. Penny led the POS Dolphins to the playoffs, beating us on the way. That was excruciating and utterly embarrassing. I, like Thai Jet, never wanted Favre, and was hammered on this very board for saying so. But we got him and he played us, and now we don't have him, and don't have a veteran QB in camp. This set us back. And made us look like very, very stupid.

We traded for Brett and dumped Penny. Penny led the POS Dolphins to the playoffs, beating us on the way. That was excruciating and utterly embarrassing. I, like Thai Jet, never wanted Favre, and was hammered on this very board for saying so. But we got him and he played us, and now we don't have him, and don't have a veteran QB in camp. This set us back. And made us look like very, very stupid.

Wouldn't it have been a dream come true if Penny would have lead us to a first round annihilation in the playoffs? I mean that's what I live for every year.

At least Favre gave us a shot before he got injured. Not only that but I was able to watch our 3rd and long plays knowing we actually had a chance to pick up the first. Generally the Jets 3rd and long plays is like a warm up for the commercial break.

Does this mean that we could have traded Favre to the Vikings instead of releasing him? Was the two future first round picks clause removed from the deal in exchange for a 7th rounder? If so, why did we release Favre instead of trading him to the Vikings?

Does this mean that we could have traded Favre to the Vikings instead of releasing him? Was the two future first round picks clause removed from the deal in exchange for a 7th rounder? If so, why did we release Favre instead of trading him to the Vikings?

technically I guess so, but the consequence would have been if you burn a guy like that, no one will do business with you again.

the packers did us a favor in a sense, so spitting in their face would make tanny look real bad, and end a good trade relationship with GB

Archived