Crabtree's agent says he will RE-enter the draft unless...

gg

LOL! OY! Mike Singletary is probably screaming at someone right now! :D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET

The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it.

This is why they need structured salaries for these douchebag rookies. I swear half of them don't have a brain in their head. You would really rather just throw away a season of your career for more money? Really? So after sitting on your a$$ for a season, you honestly think an NFL team is even going to offer you what you were offered this season? Talk to Mike Williams and get back with me. I should be an agent.

LOL! OY! Mike Singletary is probably screaming at someone right now! :D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET

The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

:roll: Seems every year some agent tries to pulls this garbage. And guess what ? The player signs. All it does is ruin his rookie year as far a producing on the field. I hope this totally backfires on Parker and leads to a rookie salary cap.

Wow, I hope this backfires. This has to be all the agents doing IMO, I read somewhere he wants Top 5 money, all the more reason for rookie salary caps.....dumb ass.

This is why they need structured salaries for these douchebag rookies. I swear half of them don't have a brain in their head. You would really rather just throw away a season of your career for more money? Really? So after sitting on your a$$ for a season, you honestly think an NFL team is even going to offer you what you were offered this season? Talk to Mike Williams and get back with me. I should be an agent.

+1 and +1 Right on target.

Under your proposal would rookies who aren't douchebags still be structured the same way?

Not sure if this is just Florio looking to write something to meet a deadline or what, but it's not Crabs' agent saying this, it's his cousin and "Adviser" David Wells who is reporting this. Parker has been doing this for i beleive over 20 years and isn't dumb enough to make this type of threat. It's just Crabs' dumbass cousin probably spitballing this idea to make put pressure on San Fran, which is retarded, considering there's no way the 49ers organization would believe this. However, I digress, it's just another reason why players should let their agents and handlers, who are paid to do this for a leaving, handle all negotiations and PR issues.

If a player re-enters the draft because he isn't being offered as much money as he wants, I guarantee that the player gets drafted at least 10-15 slots lower the next time around (unless the first time he was drafted he had some odd issue like an injury concern that has since healed).

If a player re-enters the draft because he isn't being offered as much money as he wants, I guarantee that the player gets drafted at least 10-15 slots lower the next time around (unless the first time he was drafted he had some odd issue like an injury concern that has since healed).

My thoughts as well. A year away from the game and certifiable diva.

Who will just be topped later by Rueben Randle ;) haha Jones is the real deal though, the kid has everything you look for and is just smooth as hell out on the field.

we shall see if randle starts as a frosh

Julio was already a dominating starting wr as a frosh

played whole year with a broken wrist too..

Julio will be a stud of epic proportions

what do you mean it's all over ESPN

Because it gives them something to talk about.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/06/michael-crabtrees-agent-denies-potential-draft-re-entry-in-2010/

Michael Crabtree's Agent Denies Potential Draft Re-Entry in 2010

Posted Aug 6th 2009 2:50PM by Calvin Watkins

Filed under: 49ers, FanHouse Exclusive

crabtree.jpgMichael Crabtree, San Francisco's first-round draft pick, is still not in training camp.

Crabtree, however, wants to play this season -- he just wants fair market value on his rookie contract, according to a source close to Crabtree.

The wide receiver's agent, Eugene Parker, said everything is quiet in talks with the team. An ESPN report on Thursday quoted David Wells, Crabtree's cousin and adviser, as saying Crabtree is willing to sit out the 2009 season if not appeased.

Parker said that wasn't true and that information is not coming from him.

"No comments have been made to ESPN or anyone else," Parker told FanHouse Thursday via text message.

A source in the 49ers organization said San Francisco didn't know anything about the ESPN report. Coach Mike Singletary will not address the media again until Friday, though 49ers spokesman Bob Lange told FanHouse, "This has been our approach throughout the entire process. The 49ers are not going to negotiate in the media. In our view, there has been open and positive communication between both sides."

Crabtree, the 10th-pick of the 2009 draft, is seeking a contract close to what Raiders rookie wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey received. Heyward-Bey, the seventh pick of the draft, signed a five-year deal worth $38.5 million, including $23.5 million guaranteed.

Crabtree believes he's worth at least that, and has turned down a five-year deal worth about $21 million. That proposed deal is close to what last year's 10th pick, Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo, received. Mayo agreed to a five-year, $18.9 million contract with $13.8 million in guarantees and bonuses.

Recently, Crabtree said he expected to be in training camp and had fully recovered from offseason foot surgery.

As of right now, Crabtree has missed 10 training camp practices.

My bad, they reported that Crabtree was willing to hold out until next season, they said nothing about him reentering the draft. Either way, he's only fcking himself, just ask Jamarcus Russell and all those other hold-outs.

I'm not going to bash Crabtree's intelligence or ability.

BUT, it's near financial suicide to wait out a whole year and re-enter the draft. There is no guarantee he'll be a top 10 pick again. There will be other WRs in the draft that would go ahead of him.

Further, what guarantee does he have that he'll stay healthy this entire year out of football? He's walking away from $13.8 million guaranteed at least (based on Mayo's contract) THIS YEAR in the hopes of making a couple of extra million next year?

How does that make any sense? Take the $13.8 million guaranteed now on a 5 year deal and then get the huge contract later.

And what the hell do you expect Parker to say? Everyone is calling him and Crabtree greedy *******s. His advisor wouldn't just make this **** up it was clearly discussed and a possible option. It's been reported since Crabtree was drafted that Parker was going to do everything in his power to blow up the general draft payment structure to get Crabtree a top 5 contract. Its the main reason why nobody around Crabtree is signed yet either, their agents don't want to get shown up if Parker succeeds.

I'm not going to bash Crabtree's intelligence or ability.

BUT, it's near financial suicide to wait out a whole year and re-enter the draft. There is no guarantee he'll be a top 10 pick again. There will be other WRs in the draft that would go ahead of him.

Further, what guarantee does he have that he'll stay healthy this entire year out of football? He's walking away from $13.8 million guaranteed at least (based on Mayo's contract) THIS YEAR in the hopes of making a couple of extra million next year?

How does that make any sense? Take the $13.8 million guaranteed now on a 5 year deal and then get the huge contract later.

If I was the SF GM (and this might be why I don't have the job in an FO)....

Here it two contracts you can sign either one.....

1. Standard 5 year slotted contract.

2. 2 year deal at rookie and 2nd year min salary plus a $25 million dollar bonus if you win OROY.

You think you are such hot ****. Then sign number 2.

Both offers expire when practice start tommorow. And if you aren't in camp tommorow, then see ya at the draft because there won't be any further offers.

Our kicker loves to talk.

Jay Feely calls out Crabtree

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 6:59 PM ET

Despite the fact that Twitter was in the sh-tter for most of the day, there still have been plenty of new tweets.

Among the most intriguing from an NFL standpoint came from Jets kicker Jay Feely, who sounded off on the news (now conveniently denied by all parties) that receiver Michael Crabtree has played the "I'll re-enter the draft" card in an effort to get a contract that exceeds the value of his draft position.

"When I read that Crabtree is willing to sit out until next year [it] makes me laugh," Feely said. "How can an agent and player be so GREEDY & uncompromising. It further enhances the need to revamp our compensation for draft picks and create a hard cap on what each pick receives. Someone who has never acheived anything in the NFL yet should not be given a contract for more money than the best players in the NFL."

He raises a good point, but he's definitely not operating from the NFLPA cheat sheet on the topic. He's supposed to be saying that this is the league's problem, not the players' problem, in order to get the league to make a major concession at the bargaining table in exchange for a true NBA-style rookie wage scale.

That said, the fact that eight of the top 14 picks remain unsigned could be all the union needs to demonstrate the value of a haggle-free system. Still, if enough players agree with Feely, it'll be hard for the union to secure a maximum concession in return for changing the current rookie compensation process.

Archived