Hate Eric Mangini? Check this out

JV51

Hello Jetnation! My name is Wills Klein and I am the head editor for Zeus of Sport. I go to The Ohio State University and I am a rising sophomore. I am applying to the journalism school there and I am looking for supporters of my website. Today I posted a story on a Cleveland blog called Lebrownstown to spread my name and my blog. It just so happened that Cleveland.com loved my story and decided to put it up on their website. I am a diehard Jets fan and I would really appreciate supporters coming to my blog, Zeus of Sport, and checking out some of my stories. Thank you very much Jet fans.

Wills Klein

NFL Zeus

the other thing that really bothered me 5-1 was Mangini took to bullying his rookie class last year. He benched Lowery in favor of Ty Law, he never put Gholston in a position to succeed, and he took Favre's best weapon, Dustin Keller out of the game plans after Thanksgiving. Who else am I forgetting?

Good job on the article bro.

I disagree with your general idea.

Mangini a relative nobody in the NFL, while a HC, has less clout than Favre. Mangini may have wanted to bench him, but couldn't.

he absolutely could have benched hin-and SHOULD have. He was hurt-I believe Clemens could have gotten us to the playoffs. The head coach is the guy who decides whether or not a guy plays. When did that change EY?

he absolutely could have benched hin-and SHOULD have. He was hurt-I believe Clemens could have gotten us to the playoffs. The head coach is the guy who decides whether or not a guy plays. When did that change EY?

When the owner brings in an icon to run the team, and the coach is a lame duck who's accomplished nothing in this league.

I disagree with your general idea.

Mangini a relative nobody in the NFL, while a HC, has less clout than Favre. Mangini may have wanted to bench him, but couldn't.

Dunno if I buy that. What do you suppose was the point of Mangini concealing Favre's injury? It certainly wasn't to fool the other teams, who were entirely capable of observing for themselves that the deep ball wasn't getting there on time, which was especially conspicuous in Favre's case. I think Mangini probably figured he'd have a better chance of keeping his job if he lost with a good excuse than if he tried to win and failed, so he plowed ahead with Favre instead of using the injury to get the green light to make a change.

Dunno if I buy that. What do you suppose was the point of Mangini concealing Favre's injury? It certainly wasn't to fool the other teams, who were entirely capable of observing for themselves that the deep ball wasn't getting there on time, which was especially conspicuous in Favre's case. I think Mangini probably figured he'd have a better chance of keeping his job if he lost with a good excuse than if he tried to win and failed, so he plowed ahead with Favre instead of using the injury to get the green light to make a change.

Maybe. But Mangini's history in reporting injury is suspect at best.

I don't see another scenario than:

Mangini: Brett, it's obvious you're hurt, you're going to have to sit.

Favre: I'm playing, go **** yourself.

Woody take's Favre's side if it gets that high.

From Day 1 of Favre being here, Mangini bet his season and his job on him.

I don't see another scenario than:

Mangini: Brett, it's obvious you're hurt, you're going to have to sit.

Favre: I'm playing, go **** yourself.

Really? You don't see a scenario where Mangini declines to raise the issue in the first place so he can use the fact that Favre was forced on him to save his job?

Nice write dude - good job. I hate The Mageen with a passion so I'm all about anything negative thrown his way. But in the end, his ineptitude and corpulent ego (to match his physique) will have him back schlepping food for those who have a better grasp of the game of football.

Really? You don't see a scenario where Mangini declines to raise the issue in the first place so he can use the fact that Favre was forced on him to save his job?

Keep in mind that Mangini named his kid after a guy he knew 4 months.

I don't think Favre was forced on him

No... You're right... I can see that happening...

I just meant that if he tried to bench him, that's how I see it playing out.

To all those proclaiming KC would have gotten the Jets into the playoffs...

So what you're saying is that this same waste of a second round pick who can't beat out a rookie, after being in the same system, under the same OC, for three years, would have gotten the Jets to the playoffs last year? The same guy who can't beat anyone out in a training camp battle?

We all saw that Favre couldn't get it done. I'm pretty sure Clemens wouldn't have either. I don't ever see him become a QB capable enough of taking a team to the playoffs.

Have you seen Clemens play? It's quite possible that Favre was shot and we still wouldn't have had a better chance with Kellen.
Yeah, but I'd take my shot with the bulletless. :P

I mean we were free falling, it was worth a shot, maybe the shake up would have helped.

Hello Jetnation! My name is Wills Klein and I am the head editor for Zeus of Sport. I go to The Ohio State University and I am a rising sophomore. I am applying to the journalism school there and I am looking for supporters of my website. Today I posted a story on a Cleveland blog called Lebrownstown to spread my name and my blog. It just so happened that Cleveland.com loved my story and decided to put it up on their website. I am a diehard Jets fan and I would really appreciate supporters coming to my blog, Zeus of Sport, and checking out some of my stories. Thank you very much Jet fans.

Wills Klein

NFL Zeus

So lets see..You a 19 year old writing an article trashing the Jets coach who was fired and you come to a JETS website looking for acceptance and positive feedback...PATHETIC DUDE..All you wrote was inaccurate rehashed garbage that has been circulating on websites and newspapers for MONTHS

You think you should be accepted into Journalism school based on your blog?..sorry brother you going to need to do better then this..If you want to show some balls Willis, write on your blog on how Ohio State gets to the BCS Championship game and then gets bitch slapped..Tressel can't win the big one,Big 10 can't compete with the SEC..etc..etc

Be orginal, not a copy and paste hack

So lets see..You a 19 year old writing an article trashing the Jets coach who was fired and you come to a JETS website looking for acceptance and positive feedback...PATHETIC DUDE..All you wrote was inaccurate rehashed garbage that has been circulating on websites and newspapers for MONTHS

You think you should be accepted into Journalism school based on your blog?..sorry brother you going to need to do better then this..If you want to show some balls Willis, write on your blog on how Ohio State gets to the BCS Championship game and then gets bitch slapped..Tressel can't win the big one,Big 10 can't compete with the SEC..etc..etc

Be orginal, not a copy and paste hack

Well he asked...

Hate to say it, but that was horribly written and your responses in the comment thread made it worse. Mangini's problems were twofold - he didn't or couldn't adjust, and he didn't have a sense of when to play safe and when to go for the throat. In the rain, early in a game against a highpowered offense and a bad rushing defense, you don't run a lateral heavy reverse. You run the ball down their throats. Down 13 points in the fourth quarter, you don't kick the FG and hope, you go for it on fourth down. He could be a very good coach down the road - hope he is. but those were the traits that got him fired.

Crazy how some of you dudes who would have given Herm a 45-year extension kill Mangini so easily. He's going to be around the league a long time as a Head Coach and, like Tom Coughlin, he's going to figure out how to talk to NFL players. He wasn't a bad coach for us, he just had some issues with maturity and experience that undid him.

Wills Klein

NFL Zeus

Alright, dude, here's my two cents. For a blog entry, it's cool. Blogs don't really need to be supported by fact and instead rely on (usually) on a visceral exchange of information: a rant, if you will. But, if you desired to have that be an effective analyisis/explication of Mangini's faults-- a critique, or an article--it falls a bit short, in my opinion, bro.

The real fatal flaw in it is that your points of argument are relatively weak and poorly supported. You seem to present two arguments against Mangini: That he's "stubborn" and that he comes from the same coaching tree as Romeo Crennel. Neither have any real tangible basis to use in your critique, and neither point can be effectively argued one way or another.

You say that Mangini is "stubborn" because he "doesn't blitz," but you don't offer any evidence about his willingness, or lack thereof, to blitz. Did he blitz 10% of the time? 35% of the time? How did that number compare to the league average? These stats are probably available somewhere, and if you were going to argue that Mangini "doesn't blitz," you have to back that up with hard numbers. Along with that, you should also include the failures of Bob Sutton as Defensive Coordinator, and whether or not Mangini was directly responsible for Sutton's play calls.

As for the Belichick coaching tree and its apparent failures, that's a slippery slope. Crennel is the first head coach, other than Mangini, that has left the Belichick family and failed on the NFL level. Including Charlie Weis' failures at Notre Dame doesn't support your claim that Belichick's tree doesn't produce any good NFL head coaches--Weis would just be an aside in that argument; a novelty. The sample size of Beli coaches that fail on the NFL level is too small to point to it as evidence that Mangini's failures in Cleveland are somehow guaranteed.

Overall, though, your usage of language is good, and your writing voice is interesting. Just work on the mechanics, and we'll look forward to reading more of your stuff in the future. Good luck!

Crazy how some of you dudes who would have given Herm a 45-year extension kill Mangini so easily. He's going to be around the league a long time as a Head Coach and, like Tom Coughlin, he's going to figure out how to talk to NFL players. He wasn't a bad coach for us, he just had some issues with maturity and experience that undid him.
At some point, if you're going to be a martinet, you had better win. A fan base and players are only going to buy into your genius if you win, and often.

I had occasion to hear Herman Edwards on ESPN radio this afternoon. Substance-free gibberish mixed with poorly-stated conventional wisdom, as you would expect.Wouldn't trust the guy with a coffee order, but he gives a verbal happy ending to anyone who will listen. Mangini as a coach is light years ahead, but if players don't buy in because you don't win, so what? There's a lot of Al Groh in Mangini. Over the course of a season there has to be give and take and adjustments, and so far Mangini cannot do that.If every day at work is going to be a grind, people get worn down.

If by contrast every day is substitute teacher day as it was under Edwards, no one focuses on details. And you get that awful condition known as Dick Curl, currently an assistant under John Spagnolo with the Rams. If any NFL coach suggested hiring this guy was a good idea, his sheet should eb on the curb that afternoon at 5PM.

When the owner brings in an icon to run the team, and the coach is a lame duck who's accomplished nothing in this league.

I dont agree with you because Mangini KNEW that is situation would be bleek if he lost that game to the Phins (and to Chad) so benching Favre should be less of a problem for him. Because even if the owner got mad that he did it the worst that would have happened would be that he got fired as he did anyway. I feel that Mangini just bitched up to the fact that he needed to bench favre.

Most of us could see that something was wrong with Favre after that oakland game, which as another fault by Mangini because he had Favre on the opening drive getting drilled by the Raders because he was gonig no huddle with not HB/FB in the backfield to block the penetrator.

Mangini lost his job not because he couldnt bench an icon because of the owner. He lost the position because he didnt have the balls to do what Rex Ryan has been able to do as a coordinator and soon to be HC. Put the best person in the position for the best of the team.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Mangini in Cleveland. I wasn't a fan of his ultra-conservative style, but I do understand that it could work. He needs to learn to be less rigid, less reliant on his beloved gameplan, and more adaptable to using his players' talents to maximum benefit. That's something that can be learned.

The blogger criticizes the Browns draft, but I'd kill for a draft like that. At least once in a while. It's the first draft Mangini was a part of that was actually Belichick-like. Designed to bolster depth, what a concept! Under Tannenbaum's direction, the Jets hopes were pinned on the backs of Favre and Jenkins last year. When those players became ineffective, the team lost miserably. There's still no depth on this team as the result of Tanny's three pick draft.

And I definitely agree with EY that Mangini couldn't've benched Favre if he wanted to. I don't know if he wanted to or not, but as long as he could stand up, Woody was going to make sure Favre's consecutive start streak was going to continue as long as he was a Jet.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Mangini in Cleveland. I wasn't a fan of his ultra-conservative style, but I do understand that it could work. He needs to learn to be less rigid, less reliant on his beloved gameplan, and more adaptable to using his players' talents to maximum benefit. That's something that can be learned.

The blogger criticizes the Browns draft, but I'd kill for a draft like that. At least once in a while. It's the first draft Mangini was a part of that was actually Belichick-like. Designed to bolster depth, what a concept! Under Tannenbaum's direction, the Jets hopes were pinned on the backs of Favre and Jenkins last year. When those players became ineffective, the team lost miserably. There's still no depth on this team as the result of Tanny's three pick draft.

And I definitely agree with EY that Mangini couldn't've benched Favre if he wanted to. I don't know if he wanted to or not, but as long as he could stand up, Woody was going to make sure Favre's consecutive start streak was going to continue as long as he was a Jet.

Totally agree, across the board, particularly about the draft. Mangini set out to add bodies this year, and depth. Lord know you can have the world's greatst starting 22 in this league and you'll still probably win 10 games. Depth and quarterbacks win in this league. You really wonder how much control Mangini had while he was here, or whether it was Johnson and Tannenbaum dictating what went down personnel-wise.

Archived