Training Camp Updates - 8/8/09

Irish Jet

Some twitter updates from todays practice:

RT Sanchez getting 1st team reps on team drills. First play he throws a beautiful 38 yard pass to Cotchery who gets by Revis for the TD.

The Sanchez Era has started. RT @nyjets: KR: Clemens handled reps with second team offense in team drills.

RT @nyjets: KR: Lowery makes a great play running stride for stride with Clowney and breaks up a well-thrown pass that goes 30+ yards

Nice to hear that Sanchez seems to be getting more reps with the firsts and actually doing something. Maybe an indication that he's taking the lead in this QB Comp.

Quote:

RT @nyjets: KR: Lowery makes a great play running stride for stride with Clowney and breaks up a well-thrown pass that goes 30+ yards

Lowery was stride for stride with Clowney?? Wasn't Lowery's problem that he was slow and isn't Clowney supposed to have blazing speed??

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read that comment. Maybe Lowery got a 10 yard head start on a fly pattern?

KR: Feely's a perfect 6 for 6 on field goals hitting 52 & 48, kicking at small goal posts, about half size in width of actual goal posts.

KR: Stuckey makes a tremendous diving catch from Sanchez for nine yards in 11on11s.

KR: On third down Revis has a near pick on a Sanchez lobbed pass in the end zone intended for Stuckey. Pass ruled incomplete

KR: D. Strickland intercepts a 20-yard Clemens pass intended for Clowney.

KR: Brilliant 2-min drive orchestrated by ones led by Sanchez which ends in a 25 yard scoring hook-up to Stuckey, who had 3 receptions.

Wow, Sanchez seems to be simply taking over right now.

by Dave Hutchinson

Saturday August 08, 2009, 9:41 AM

It didn't take long.

Rookie Mark Sanchez opened this morning's practice working with the first-team, with Clemens running with the second team. The move, a bit of a shocker, comes on the heels of Sanchez's impressive performance in Thursday's Green and White scrimmage.

Sanchez, who took all of the first-team reps, went 10 of 19 with two touchdowns (40 yards to Jerricho Cotchery and 20 yards to Chansi Stuckey) and an interception (by who else by CB Darrelle Revis). Clemens completed four of 12 passes with an interception and two near interceptions.

Other Tibits:

LB Vernon Gholston notched a sack and was a factor. Another bombshell for the morning practice.

RB Danny Woodhead and WR Chansi Stuckey are quietly having good camps, as are TE Dustin Keller and CB Dwight Lowery. All had a solid morning workout.

by Dave Hutchinson

It didn't take long.

Rookie Mark Sanchez opened this morning's practice working with the first-team, with Clemens running with the second team. The move, a bit of a shocker, comes on the heels of Sanchez's impressive performance in Thursday's Green and White scrimmage.

Sanchez, who took all of the first-team reps, went 10 of 19 with two touchdowns (40 yards to Jerricho Cotchery and 20 yards to Chansi Stuckey) and an interception (by who else by CB Darrelle Revis). Clemens completed four of 12 passes with an interception and two near interceptions.

Other Tibits:

LB Vernon Gholston notched a sack and was a factor. Another bombshell for the morning practice.

RB Danny Woodhead and WR Chansi Stuckey are quietly having good camps, as are TE Dustin Keller and CB Dwight Lowery. All had a solid morning workout.

Sounds like Clemens is hanging his head. This may be it for him, I guess. And, to think, on Thursday it looked like he was in complete command of his destiny. Now, one rough scrimmage, and it sounds like he's curling up. A shame, really, if only because it almost forces Sanchez into the starting role (assuming Clem doesn't bounce back), and serves as another wasted second round draft pick.

BTW, I'm hoping Sanchez isn't as streaky as he looks. From what I saw, when he was good he was good, but when it didn't go his way, he looked pretty bad. Clemens is the same way. Maybe they don't need a QB coach up there, they need a psychiatrist.

by Dave Hutchinson

It didn't take long.

Other Tibits:

What is more shocking Sanchez starting so soon or Gholston morning sack

Quote:

Lowery was stride for stride with Clowney?? Wasn't Lowery's problem that he was slow and isn't Clowney supposed to have blazing speed??

There is no doubt that Clowney is fast, if nothing else. It sounds like Lowery is stepping up. Knowing what you are doing and what the receiver is doing is more important for a CB than pure speed. That is why football isn't just a track meet.

Glad to hear Lowery is having a good camp. You can't have too many good CBs.

Mark Sanchez And Vernon Gholston Shine At Jets Morning Practice

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 8 - 2009

Figures that on the same morning I write that Vernon Gholston is not impressing, he impresses at practice, but that

Mark Sanchez And Vernon Gholston Shine At Jets Morning Practice

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 8 - 2009

Figures that on the same morning I write that Vernon Gholston is not impressing, he impresses at practice, but that

There is no doubt that Clowney is fast, if nothing else. It sounds like Lowery is stepping up. Knowing what you are doing and what the receiver is doing is more important for a CB than pure speed. That is why football isn't just a track meet.

Glad to hear Lowery is having a good camp. You can't have too many good CBs.

CLowney is a one-trick pony. A receiver with speed is useless if he's not a threat to beat a corner inside and short. The difference in a 40 yard foot race between a guy that runs 4.4 and a guy that runs 4.6 is about six inches, meaning that if you lined up Clowney and raced him against Lowery, Clowney would win by six inches. But, if you make Lowery turn and run, and you give him the threat of having to guard the in-cut and the deep out, that's where a receiver like Clowney can get separation. But, you don't have to defend him against any other pattern than the ol' 9 route. It's like having the world's quickest point guard: if he can't shoot and the defender doesn't have to worry about the jump shot, it doesn't matter how quick he is--he ain't goin' nowhere.

also DM....after reading what I'm reporting through the media this morning if we're NOT gonna bring in another WR then I am rooting for Wallace Wright to get the nod over Smith and Stuckey since he and Sanchez have developed a good chemistry since the mini camps.

also DM....after reading what I'm reporting through the media this morning if we're NOT gonna bring in another WR then I am rooting for Wallace Wright to get the nod over Smith and Stuckey since he and Sanchez have developed a good chemistry since the mini camps.

Just read in today's Star Ledger, Dave Hutchinson's article on how Sanchez and Wright are forming a strong bond. Sanchez saying Wright always seems to be open and Rex Ryan said that Mark just seems to trust him.

Could be a great story.

Walk on at UNC.

Walk on with the Jets as a UDFA rookie TRYOUT player.

3 years on Special Teams to starting WR?

Would be amazing.

CLowney is a one-trick pony. A receiver with speed is useless if he's not a threat to beat a corner inside and short. The difference in a 40 yard foot race between a guy that runs 4.4 and a guy that runs 4.6 is about six inches, meaning that if you lined up Clowney and raced him against Lowery, Clowney would win by six inches. But, if you make Lowery turn and run, and you give him the threat of having to guard the in-cut and the deep out, that's where a receiver like Clowney can get separation. But, you don't have to defend him against any other pattern than the ol' 9 route. It's like having the world's quickest point guard: if he can't shoot and the defender doesn't have to worry about the jump shot, it doesn't matter how quick he is--he ain't goin' nowhere.

Hey TS do you remember when Coles got drafted with what some said was the fastest 40 time since Dion Sanders and how it didn't translate to actual game speed? Coles had to figure that out from taking short choppy (albeit a LOT of them) into strides.

Just read in today's Star Ledger, Dave Hutchinson's article on how Sanchez and Wright are forming a strong bond. Sanchez saying Wright always seems to be open and Rex Ryan said that Mark just seems to trust him.

Could be a great story.

Walk on at UNC.

Walk on with the Jets as a UDFA rookie TRYOUT player.

3 years on Special Teams to starting WR?

Would be amazing.

I love Wright and think he could be a real asset in 4-wide sets, but if he's your #2 receiver, you got problems.

Absolutely true. And Clowney is certainly still raw. From what I have seen, his biggest weakness is getting away from press coverage, after that is route running. He does have very good hands. That is why I would try him in the slot, where the nickel back usually plays off and I would put Stuckey on the outside.

He seems to have formed a good connection with Stuckey today at least. I think he's our 2nd best WR by quite a bit.

Stuckey is EASILY our best receiver not named Cotchery. Guy would've been a Day 1 pick if it weren't for his senior season injury. I absolutely LOVED the pick when we drafted him in 2007 and was amazed we got such a steal in Round 7. We were so lucky. He is going to turn into one heck of a player for us. He showed flashes last year, which was basically his rookie season.

I think Stuckey will easily have 800 yards this season.

Hey TS do you remember when Coles got drafted with what some said was the fastest 40 time since Dion Sanders and how it didn't translate to actual game speed? Coles had to figure that out from taking short choppy (albeit a LOT of them) into strides.

I remember Coles dropped a 4.3/40! He never--not ONCE in his Jets playing career--ran past anyone for a TD. Personally, I think he saw that Chad couldn't go deep anyway anmd he bulked up to 205-210 to take the beating underneath. Both him and Cotchery are running backs playing wideout, in deference to Chad's strengths (and weaknesses). Good point, Jimmy.

I remember that SFJ. He ran 4.19 - five times!!! But it was as a freshman. I think what happened is he bulked up a lot before he got drafted. Still ran a 4.32. But age and injuries have definitely slowed him down the last fews years. No way I would have paid him the money the bengals did.

He seems to have formed a good connection with Stuckey today at least. I think he's our 2nd best WR by quite a bit.

Stuckey is over-matched by a good #2 corner on a good team, imo. He's going to have to make his living turning nickel backs inside-out. Not enough of a vertical threat.

As of today I'm getting off the "we need to bring in a WR" horse until I see for myself what we have next Friday night. I'm pulling for Wallace to win the job opposite Cotch.

Now watch TODAY the Jets will have a big announcement about us in a blockbuster deal with either Cleveland or Denver.

I remember that SFJ. He ran 4.19 - five times!!! But it was as a freshman. I think what happened is he bulked up a lot before he got drafted. Still ran a 4.32. But age and injuries have definitely slowed him down the last fews years. No way I would have paid him the money the bengals did.

NEVER, EVER believe a 40 time that comes out of FSU. I was in Florida one summer and read an article that said some safety ran a 4.25/40. I can't remember who it was, but it was some white dude who NO WAY ran any better than a 4.5-4.6. FSU's 40 yard track must be 37 yards long.

As of today I'm getting off the "we need to bring in a WR" horse until I see for myself what we have next Friday night. I'm pulling for Wallace to win the job opposite Cotch.

Now watch TODAY the Jets will have a big announcement about us in a blockbuster deal with either Cleveland or Denver.

I can live with either situation. I put my faith TRex. I've said it before. My biggest fear going into this season is if one of the starting o-lineman goes down.

Why would anyone ever throw near Revis?

RT Sanchez getting 1st team reps on team drills. First play he throws a beautiful 38 yard pass to Cotchery who gets by Revis for the TD.

Because while he may be CB Moses, he is not yet CB Jesus?

NEVER, EVER believe a 40 time that comes out of FSU. I was in Florida one summer and read an article that said some safety ran a 4.25/40. I can't remember who it was, but it was some white dude who NO WAY ran any better than a 4.5-4.6. FSU's 40 yard track must be 37 yards long.

:D And with a wind tunnel fan behind them.

Archived