FAT PAPI steroid press conference coming up now

Blackout

Unfortunately I think all baseball players are assumed to be guilty today

Maybe, just maybe Ortiz and his power surge were the result of flaxseed oil

Doubt it though

from slugging -500 in minnesota to slugging 600 in boston

yeah it's all thanks to GNC ;)

Until all the information comes out, why shouldn't we believe him? Innocent until proven guilty.

And yes, Blackout, the media does need to be called out on this. They are asking people to break the law to sell newspapers. It's a disgrace.

JonE: What charges is he trying to dismiss? And what about it seemed rehearsed?

Funny. I didn't see you complaining about the media when the only name on the list that had leaked was ARod's. :rolleyes:

Typical Boston fan hypocrisy.

You know, I never bought into the "CrazyCarl is just a giant homer" argument used by so many Yankee fans around here. Until now.

In 2003, he tested positive for a banned substance. FACT. 2003 was also the beginning of his ascent into an elite power hitter. FACT.

But, sure, let's believe him that it was flaxseed oil or whatever the ****.

"I had no idea my protein shake was laced with horse tranquilizers".

I'm not defending what Ortiz did at all. he definitely should have checked into what was in his protein shakes or his vitamin supplies. It was careless, dumb and disappointing. By no means am I making him out to be the victim here. He reaps what he sowed with the supplements and vitamins.

I am defending him against people just assuming he did steroids. There is no proof he did. His name was on a list. Most of the people on the list tested positive for a banned substance. Not all. Not all tested positive for steroids. Until all of the facts are out, making assumptions and generalizations is ridiculous.

Call me a homer. Fine. I'm sorry you are all perfect and have done no wrong and can just haphazardly call someone out for something you have no evidence he did. Throw them stones in your glass houses!

It's a shame that we live in a society where we cannot believe people or take what they say at face value anymore.

Funny. I didn't see you complaining about the media when the only name on the list that had leaked was ARod's. :rolleyes:

Typical Boston fan hypocrisy.

Funny. I don't see a post from me skewering A-Rod about steroids. Go ahead and find one. I dare you.

Typical Yankee fan ridiculousness.

Oh and I'm pretty sure A-Rod's name was not the only name leaked. There are about a half dozen or so name's on that list. The media and these "lawyers" are breaking the law.

There is no proof that Roger Clemens took roids

But there sure is fire

There is no proof that Papi Roidtiz took roids

But there sure is fire

Actually, to be fair, there IS proof that Ortiz took steroids - he tested positive.

In Clemen's case the only "proof" is a couple of beer cans and some hypodermic needles that some scumbag held onto for seven years with no logical explanation and that any lawyer worth a **** could get thrown out of court in about a second and a half.

And I believe Clemens took HGH.

Funny. I don't see a post from me skewering A-Rod about steroids. Go ahead and find one. I dare you.

Typical Yankee fan ridiculousness.

Oh and I'm pretty sure A-Rod's name was not the only name leaked. There are about a half dozen or so name's on that list. The media and these "lawyers" are breaking the law.

Actually, there are 103 names on that list of PLAYERS WHO TESTED POSITIVE FOR STEROIDS and DAVID ORTIZ AND MANNY RAMIREZ ARE TWO OF THOSE PLAYERS.

I'm not defending what Ortiz did at all. he definitely should have checked into what was in his protein shakes or his vitamin supplies. It was careless, dumb and disappointing. By no means am I making him out to be the victim here. He reaps what he sowed with the supplements and vitamins.

I am defending him against people just assuming he did steroids. There is no proof he did. His name was on a list. Most of the people on the list tested positive for a banned substance. Not all. Not all tested positive for steroids. Until all of the facts are out, making assumptions and generalizations is ridiculous.

Call me a homer. Fine. I'm sorry you are all perfect and have done no wrong and can just haphazardly call someone out for something you have no evidence he did. Throw them stones in your glass houses!

It's a shame that we live in a society where we cannot believe people or take what they say at face value anymore.

Sammy Sosa used steroids.

Where's the proof?

There is none.

But I am not blind, nor foolish enough to believe that his power surge was due to something he bought over the counter at GNC.

The explosion in production from journeyman David Ortiz suggest that he was using something a whole hell of a lot more potent than some tainted protein shakes.

I like you, Carl, always have and have always respected your opinions on baseball. But, your argument here is weak.

Now, admit Ortiz was on the juice and come spoon with me.

Actually, there are 103 names on that list of PLAYERS WHO TESTED POSITIVE FOR STEROIDS and DAVID ORTIZ AND MANNY RAMIREZ ARE TWO OF THOSE PLAYERS.

Ahahahahahaha. Do some reading would you. You don't look too smart right now.

Here is the statement from the Union. Just so you can know what you are talking about:

The New York Times recently reported that David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez "are among the roughly 100 Major League Baseball players to test positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003." The reported sources for this statement were "lawyers with knowledge of the [test] results" who "spoke anonymously because the testing information is under seal by a court order." The Association has previously offered its views regarding this patent violation of court orders by attorneys, and The New York Times' active pursuit and publication of what it openly acknowledges to be information that may not be legally disclosed.

In light of the Times' report, and all the other newspaper reports it has spurred, the Association feels compelled to offer the following additional comments:

The sealing orders, which were appropriately issued by the various courts to maintain the collectively-bargained confidentiality of the testing, prevent the Association from supplying a player with specifics regarding his 2003 test results, or from discussing those specifics publicly. The practical effect of the sealing orders, if that confidentiality is to be maintained, is to further preclude the Players Association from confirming or denying whether a player's name appears on any list which purportedly discloses the 2003 test results. The result is that any union member alleged to have tested positive in 2003 because his name supposedly appears on some list -- most recently David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez -- finds himself in an extremely unfair position; his reputation has been threatened by a violation of the court's orders, but respect for those orders now leaves him without access to the information that might permit him to restore his good name.

Unlike those anonymous lawyers who have violated the court orders -- and The New York Times, which has authorized an active and willful pursuit of those violations -- the Association will respect the courts' rulings. But we can legally say the following, each of which we suggest must be considered in assessing any and all newspaper reports stating a player has "tested positive for steroids in 2003.

Where's the proof?

There is none.

But I am not blind, nor foolish enough to believe that his power surge was due to something he bought over the counter at GNC.

The explosion in production from journeyman David Ortiz suggest that he was using something a whole hell of a lot more potent than some tainted protein shakes.

I like you, Carl, always have and have always respected your opinions on baseball. But, your argument here is weak.

I will when I see the proof. And I will come here and apologize and eat my crow like always. No one will be more devastated or let down than me if we find out Papi is lying and it was steroids.

Yankees fans had it easy. They had enough reasons not to like A-Rod before and they don't identify him as a true Yankee. Him testing positive when he wasn't even a Yankee made it easy on them. They haven't had it easy with some other players

David Ortiz was a breath of fresh air in Boston and became a hero to many, including me. It's tough to come to grips with stuff like this on that level and a level as a whole that players were cheating.

They're all cheaters, I suppose. Does A-Rod taking it in the butt make him any more or less of a cheater than Papi who tested positive for something? I don't know. That's something that doesn't seem right now matter any way you slice it.

And I'll still sit here and be saddened that all of this went on and no one did anything about it and it's been ruining a game I love. It's heartbreaking.

Ahahahahahaha. Do some reading would you. You don't look too smart right now.

Here is the statement from the Union. Just so you can know what you are talking about:

The New York Times recently reported that David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez "are among the roughly 100 Major League Baseball players to test positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003." The reported sources for this statement were "lawyers with knowledge of the [test] results" who "spoke anonymously because the testing information is under seal by a court order." The Association has previously offered its views regarding this patent violation of court orders by attorneys, and The New York Times' active pursuit and publication of what it openly acknowledges to be information that may not be legally disclosed.

In light of the Times' report, and all the other newspaper reports it has spurred, the Association feels compelled to offer the following additional comments:

The sealing orders, which were appropriately issued by the various courts to maintain the collectively-bargained confidentiality of the testing, prevent the Association from supplying a player with specifics regarding his 2003 test results, or from discussing those specifics publicly. The practical effect of the sealing orders, if that confidentiality is to be maintained, is to further preclude the Players Association from confirming or denying whether a player's name appears on any list which purportedly discloses the 2003 test results. The result is that any union member alleged to have tested positive in 2003 because his name supposedly appears on some list -- most recently David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez -- finds himself in an extremely unfair position; his reputation has been threatened by a violation of the court's orders, but respect for those orders now leaves him without access to the information that might permit him to restore his good name.

Unlike those anonymous lawyers who have violated the court orders -- and The New York Times, which has authorized an active and willful pursuit of those violations -- the Association will respect the courts' rulings. But we can legally say the following, each of which we suggest must be considered in assessing any and all newspaper reports stating a player has "tested positive for steroids in 2003.

Where's the proof?

There is none.

We all knew about andro after 1998.

Corey Stringer died in part due to taking a supplement in camp in 2001.

Oriole Steve Buchler died in part due to a supplement in spring training in part due to a supplement in February 2003. Which is exaclty the time frame newly signed Sawx free agent ventured into GNC for a little edge, right?

Yet David Arias and MLB(covering for their BS Mitchell whitewash nonsense report) want to pretend that Arias(now Ortiz) went into a GNC in spring 2003 and had NO IDEA that the supplement he put in his body contained a banned substance. We are to believe that a pro baseball player having just known of a player dying from some GNC junk walked into such a store and then bought and drank such a musclehead shake, never spoke to any trainer(as MLB has said was readily available to every player of every team) and didn't take even a moment to consider if it contained a banned susbtance. Or might kill him.

BULL FREAKING SHEET.

I'd have a world more respect if he simply said I DID IT. He faced a future of going back to the DR as a washed up loser or a vagabond existence like KEn Phelps or RYan Klesko as a lefty DH/1b at the end of some team's bench. And instead did everything he could to stay in MLB and make $40 million since. So he took a needle.

Today was a total freaking joke. Selig covered for Mitchell, who covered for Ortiz, Manny Alexander, Jerry Remy's son, who ever agreed to pick up Eric Gagne, etc. Selig has the Sawx' back, period.

I will when I see the proof. And I will come here and apologize and eat my crow like always. No one will be more devastated or let down than me if we find out Papi is lying and it was steroids.

Yankees fans had it easy. They had enough reasons not to like A-Rod before and they don't identify him as a true Yankee. Him testing positive when he wasn't even a Yankee made it easy on them. They haven't had it easy with some other players

David Ortiz was a breath of fresh air in Boston and became a hero to many, including me. It's tough to come to grips with stuff like this on that level and a level as a whole that players were cheating.

They're all cheaters, I suppose. Does A-Rod taking it in the butt make him any more or less of a cheater than Papi who tested positive for something? I don't know. That's something that doesn't seem right now matter any way you slice it.

And I'll still sit here and be saddened that all of this went on and no one did anything about it and it's been ruining a game I love. It's heartbreaking.

I want you to answer this honestly. Have your or do you train for any sport or anything seriously?

There are MULTIPLE things you can do to chemically enhance your body. "Steroids" for athletic purposes is illegal. But this doesn't rule out other things that are made to "improve" performance. I buy supplements. I read the labels. If you buy these things it's not like you don't read the ingredients unless you're a fool. If it says "MAXIMIZES MUSCLE EXPLOSIONS MASS HUGENESS" on the front and it could contain total crap.

The supplement industry isn't regulated by the FDA, that's why you hear of things like Hydroxycut taken off the market after being on it for YEARS because they don't study this stuff. But everyone who takes it knows what it does. You watch everything you eat, your body is important, you care what goes in it.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm preaching here. But I think any athlete that says "Whoops I didn't know what I was taking it was over the counter." That's stupidity out of an athlete who's BODY IS THEIR WORK. I think everyone, this includes guys on my team, that says this is a bull**** liar trying to dupe fans into thinking this is somehow "not as bad".

Don't buy into the lie CC, he's a cheater, your cheater and no one is telling you not to cheer for him. But this isn't something that's defensible.

And FTR if anyone wants to ask me what I take I'll tell you exactly and exactly what it does. And I'm not a pro-athlete, just a guy who cares about his health.

There is no proof that Roger Clemens took roids

But there sure is fire

There is no proof that Papi Roidtiz took roids

But there sure is fire

Funny thing is, some Yankees fans here screamed he was innocent even throughout the hearing.

The other funny thing? Both Rocket and Papi knew what they were putting into their bodies....and the only foolish ones are people who think otherwise. If we want to villanize one (be that Bonds, or a member of the rival team), you gotta villanize them all. It's all the same, and MOST players were doing it.

I still hold that Jr. and Maddux didn't, and they're the only ones I'd be shocked to find out did.

You know, I kind of defended Roger Clemens for a little while under the same premise last year. Don't do it. You just end up looking more stupid.

Brick was the only one I can remember by name, Blackout. Props to you for admitting it Brick. Keep in mind you know how it feels to be in Carls shoes, though. No beloved fan wants to believe "their guy" is a cheater. I cant stand Clemens, but I'd love for somehow both he and Papi to be clean...it'd be refreshing, but that's just not the case.

Brick was the only one I can remember by name, Blackout. Props to you for admitting it Brick. Keep in mind you know how it feels to be in Carls shoes, though. No beloved fan wants to believe "their guy" is a cheater. I cant stand Clemens, but I'd love for somehow both he and Papi to be clean...it'd be refreshing, but that's just not the case.

My problem with the situation was the "proof" was a "report" that used two sources largely based on hearsay. Did nearly everything logical point to Clemens using something to get back on the horse when he joined the Yanks? Yes, but I was surprised so many were so quick to jump on the Mitchell Report as fact.

A positive test, however, is a little harder to refute.

Archived