WR's Agent - Mangini To Blame For Injury

Irish Jet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4387275

Cleveland Browns reserve receiver Syndric Steptoe will miss the season with a torn labrum in his shoulder, and his agent says coach Eric Mangini's decision-making is to blame, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

The third-year veteran sustained the injury during Saturday's practice.

Agent Jerome Stanley said a last-minute change of plans from walk-through drills, which the players had expected, to a full-speed practice in heavy rain was the root of the injury.

"The coaches should more carefully weigh the risk of injury in practice decisions,'' Stanley said, according to the Plain Dealer. "My understanding is that the team was on the field for a walk-through the day before the scrimmage. The walk-through turned into a full practice in a driving rain."

The newspaper said Steptoe, the Browns seventh-round pick in 2007 who started five of 16 games last season, was carted off clutching his shoulder, though the specifics of how he was injured were unclear. Saturday's practice consisted of no-contact drills in shorts and jerseys with no pads and no live tackling.

"Obviously, hindsight gives one a different perspective," Stanley said. "But if the practice had stayed a walk-through, Syndric wouldn't be preparing for season-ending surgery right now. The decision produced a bad result for the kid and the team.''

The Browns aren't confirming or commenting on injuries in training camp, the report said.

Steptoe had been practicing as a backup wideout and a kick returner.

Mangini, who ended the practice 20 minutes early because of the rain, was not available for comment, the report said.

lol. I love how there are Brown's fan right now on a ****tier message board defending Mangina's actions right now.

We would too if it happened to any of our players under rex's training camp. Especially since both of the teams coaches have no wins or loses for either of the teams. The season hasn't started yet...why blame a coach? Injuries happen

What was left out of this article is that the players were not properly warmed up for a full practice... with whatever stretching and other exercises they do before going full speed.

I don't know if that's the case, but that's the only way the agent's claim holds any water.

What was left out of this article is that the players were not properly warmed up for a full practice... with whatever stretching and other exercises they do before going full speed.

I don't know if that's the case, but that's the only way the agent's claim holds any water.

A wide receiver has to "warm up" his shoulder? I call bull****. He either slipped and hit the turf of was hit during non-contact drills. I'm betting on him slipping or they wouldn't be crying about the rain. How the hell else could he injure his shoulder?

If the ***** didn't practice he'd never get hurt.

A wide receiver has to "warm up" his shoulder? I call bull****. He either slipped and hit the turf of was hit during non-contact drills. I'm betting on him slipping or they wouldn't be crying about the rain. How the hell else could he injure his shoulder?

If the ***** didn't practice he'd never get hurt.

You're just making excused. EY is right about the whole warming up aspect.

Sounds like the agent wants to climb on the Mangini-bash bandwagon that was waiting for him in Cleveland from the second he was hired. What a joke though. I almost want to see Eric go 11-5 just to shut people up.

No you don't.

You're just making excused. EY is right about the whole warming up aspect.

Again in English? There is the possibility that they had a full practice without proper warm ups. That certainly wasn't clearly stated by the agent. There is almost no chance that a wide receiver could have torn his labrum because he didn't warm up.

I'm pretty sure EY would agree.

Again in English? There is the possibility that they had a full practice without proper warm ups. That certainly wasn't clearly stated by the agent. There is almost no chance that a wide receiver could have torn his labrum because he didn't warm up.

I don't agree. Talk to any fitness pro and they'll tell you that you get hurt by not properly warming up. That's how most people get hurt in the gym (Not that I'm a role model when it comes to proper warm-up by any means).

The specific cause of the accident is anyone's guess, but the fact is you shouldn't just start a full speed practice or game without proper warm-ups, stretching... I think pregame at any game is a testament to that, they don't have 53 guys going through stretches taking up half the field for show.

I made a typo. I hit the D key instead of the S key. They are right next to each other and I'm not a great typist. If you didn't get what I was trying to say you're mentally slow.

I don't agree. Talk to any fitness pro and they'll tell you that you get hurt by not properly warming up. That's how most people get hurt in the gym (Not that I'm a role model when it comes to proper warm-up by any means).

The specific cause of the accident is anyone's guess, but the fact is you shouldn't just start a full speed practice or game without proper warm-ups, stretching... I think pregame at any game is a testament to that, they don't have 53 guys going through stretches taking up half the field for show.

Bull****. If he tore a hamstring you might have a point, but he tore a labrum because they didn't do, what, enough shoulder circles in warmups? Please.

Sounds like the agent wants to climb on the Mangini-bash bandwagon that was waiting for him in Cleveland from the second he was hired. What a joke though. I almost want to see Eric go 11-5 just to shut people up.

+1

I'm called a Mangini lover, but I just can't help but notice how much history has been rewritten about this guy since he fell out of favor.

I mean damn...people made a big deal out of painting over a wall.

I hope he becomes a top tier coach just because he collected so many haters so quickly. Plus, the media sucks balls at judging coaching talented...I thought he was a damn good one even if he was a little young and inexperienced. So is everyone at some point in their life.

LOL Then why did you say it as if you knew ? You guys are so obsessed with Mangini it's hysterical. He's not coaching here anymore..... Let it go.

I agree the stretching is a big deal. There is no indication that they didn't stretch. I don't agree in the slightest that it can have anything to do with a shoulder injury in non-contacts.

I made a typo. I hit the D key instead of the S key. They are right next to each other and I'm not a great typist. If you didn't get what I was trying to say you're mentally slow.

Hey Mensa boy, before we have an IQ off, maybe you can explain how I was making excuses. I know it was a typo. You're the king of those.

Of course they stretched. The injury occured when Steptoe dove for a pass that was thrown to him..This is the same agent who had a 7th rounder hold out last year. Brilliant move huh? Every slapdick on the planet with a keyboard and a blog reports negative crap about Mangini..its easy to cut and paste as opposed to come up with some orginal thoughts.

By the way..The Economy..Mangini's fault..lol..

Of course they stretched. The injury occured when Steptoe dove for a pass that was thrown to him..This is the same agent who had a 7th rounder hold out last year. Brilliant move huh? Every slapdick on the planet with a keyboard and a blog reports negative crap about Mangini..its easy to cut and paste as opposed to come up with some orginal thoughts.

By the way..The Economy..Mangini's fault..lol..

LOL

Remember when Mangini came to the Jets?

There would have been dozens of threads about how Camp Herm was over and this new hardnosed **** was going to make us win.

The Jets at the time needed that, though. Herms teams were clearly out of shape in the beginning of the season.

Mangini just turned into an absolue prick as his tenure went on.

Remember when Mangini came to the Jets?

There would have been dozens of threads about how Camp Herm was over and this new hardnosed **** was going to make us win.

Hard nosed camp is fine, but the way mangini ran it was obviously a problem. The players were supportive when he got fired, but now the truth starts to come out about the laps and everything else.

It also seems like nothing was taught...

The Jets at the time needed that, though. Herms teams were clearly out of shape in the beginning of the season.

Mangini just turned into an absolue prick as his tenure went on.

I don't think he changed much at all. If anything I think he softened. If I had $55 for the search feature I would look for the dozens of threads applauding the "accountability" of making players run laps for mistakes. I'm sure somebody in Ohio thinks all this hardass **** makes sense. There was a time that only Jetcane and I thought it was bull****.

Read the article this morning and they just spent some time on it on the fan, how do you not stick up for Mangini here?

What is wrong with practicing in the rain? The other players, they didn't get hurt. I'm not a Mangini fan, but I am also not a hater. He had his moments here, and deff is a hard ass, but there is zero wrong doing here on his end.

Archived