The Two Quarterback System

JETSorDIE

Just like many teams have adopted a two Running Back System. I foresee teams starting to keep two types of quarterbacks of a roster. A classic drop back passer and a Wildcat Style passer.

Reasons to follow:

The next evolution in the Wildcat is to run it with a QB that can actually throw and run. That double threat will keep defenses guessing. Towards the end of the season Defenses started to render the Wildcat useless because the RB could not respectively throw. Is any Defensive Coordinator scared of Ronnie Brown throwing a 70 yard strike..NO. No as much as it may disgust me Pat White will be a better fit in this package. He could legitimately throw the ball as well as run. It keeps the Defense honest.

It will prolong players careers. Lets say for instance on average the alternate QB will have about 10-15 snaps a game. With the NFL season about to become longer, it just makes sense to take some of the workload off who is typically your highest paid asset.

It gives your number 2 live playing time every game. Teams can fully be prepared should something happens to their # 1 guy. A backup that does not come off the bench cold. Teams will have a game seasoned veteran that prepares and has experience on a weekly basis.

It will also bring down the QB salary. A owner can negotiate and say the system that we run is not dependant on just one QB .. basically less work = less salary.

So there is hope for Michael Vick, Vince Young, Seneca Wallace etc of the world (Even though VY may be in the UFL after last nights performance lol)

Is Brad Smith our answer.. no. I think we should upgrade that position. I know I am going to get flack for this.. but I think we should look at Mike Vick for this role and this role only.. It will take pressure off our investment in Marc Sanchez.

So JN what are your thoughts on the 2 QB System and who would fit in it.

@@@ LETS NOT MAKE THIS A MIKE VICK DISCUSSION, AS THAT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED AD NAUSEM...@@@@

The wildcat was effective because of its element of surprise. If you have one QB that comes in for passing downs and a different one for the wildcat the defense is going to have a very easy time stopping your offense.

You're exactly right. They'll be little surprise once you switch QB's.

"Michael Vick will redefine the QB position in the NFL." - every draftnik bobblehead in the spring of 2001.

To be fair Vick was a great prospect. If he had worked on his ****ing accuracy he may have been something decent. His physical attributes were off the charts and to be honest for all his criticsm I don't think he was ever a bad NFL QB.

To be fair Vick was a great prospect. If he had worked on his ****ing accuracy he may have been something decent. His physical attributes were off the charts and to be honest for all his criticsm I don't think he was ever a bad NFL QB.

vick is too stupid too have ever been a good qb. he wasn't bad just mediocre.

He had a cannon arm and ran like the wind.

Add to that an absent work ethic, no conscience, and the IQ of a potato chip.

The wildcat was effective because of its element of surprise. If you have one QB that comes in for passing downs and a different one for the wildcat the defense is going to have a very easy time stopping your offense.

Thats why you have the second QB take some regular snaps also. That way you do not know if it is a wildcat or traditional.

Just to clear things up. I am not advocating Mike VICK and his skills set, I am just saying that I predict that you will see more Two QB sets. I agree and maintain that the Classic Drop Back passer is the ideal and it what teams shoud aspire to. I do also think once you find that passer that franchise QB you should limit his pitches by mixing it up a little with a 2nd QB. I think it is possible to extend a career by a couple of years. with the high demand and limited availability of a quality QB why wouldn't you want to save him a little bit.

With all the spread style QBs about to come out you will have to see an adaptation to utilize thier skillsets

Thats why you have the second QB take some regular snaps also. That way you do not know if it is a wildcat or traditional.

Just to clear things up. I am not advocating Mike VICK and his skills set, I am just saying that I predict that you will see more Two QB sets. I agree and maintain that the Classic Drop Back passer is the ideal and it what teams shoud aspire to. I do also think once you find that passer that franchise QB you should limit his pitches by mixing it up a little with a 2nd QB. I think it is possible to extend a career by a couple of years. with the high demand and limited availability of a quality QB why wouldn't you want to save him a little bit.

With all the spread style QBs about to come out you will have to see an adaptation to utilize thier skillsets

If you have to change personnel you lose the element of surprise and the D can substitute to oppose it. That's why they split Pennington out wide. I can't imagine it will be too long before some CB or S decapitates a QB split at WR on one of those plays. I'm shocked Penny lasted the season.

If you have to change personnel you lose the element of surprise and the D can substitute to oppose it. That's why they split Pennington out wide. I can't imagine it will be too long before some CB or S decapitates a QB split at WR on one of those plays. I'm shocked Penny lasted the season.

It less of a risk with Pennington on the Dolphins then say Brady, Manning or even Sanchez. Pennington is low cost medium grade QB with a short contract while the future franchise Henne was safely on the bench. Worth the risk of losing Pennington to a career ending injury if it helps you win games.

I could see the Jets doing the samething with Clemens but not Sanchez. What's the big deal if Clemens can't play football next year, if the Jets win the division this year? He is a FA anyhow. I know that is cold. But that is the NFL.

The Wildcat is a fad. It happens all the time in the NFL.

The Ravens blew up and spit on the Wildcat. This is a copycat league. Teams will look on how to defend against it and then the Wildcat will be forgotten.

Yep, that explains Brad Smith in 2006/07. After a while when they switched off from Chad to Smith everyone knew he was going to run.

For all the **** that Mick Vick gets as a QB, the guy was a game away from the Super Bowl and his team was not spectacular.

Anyway, F the Wildcat. It will not have the same impact it did last year and it certainly wont have an impact against Rex Ryan. He dominated that doodoo offense last year....TWICE!

For all the **** that Mick Vick gets as a QB, the guy was a game away from the Super Bowl and his team was not spectacular.

Anyway, F the Wildcat. It will not have the same impact it did last year and it certainly wont have an impact against Rex Ryan. He dominated that doodoo offense last year....TWICE!

About 8 weeks from now we will be talking about the "Wildcat" like we talk about the Run & Shoot or the single wing.

To be fair, that was as unimpressive as they get to go to the conference championships. They won 11 regular season games in a garbage division as they scored 3 more points than the opposition. 8 of their 11 wins came against teams with losing records. Then they beat an 8-8 team in the divisional round of the playoffs. That 8-8 Rams team advanced that far by beating a 9-7 Seahawks team from an even crappier division. There's your conference championship game.

There aren't enough good QB's for 32 teams, you're not going to find enough where you have 50 QB's playing any given Sunday - before injury. Just ain't happening.

If your QB is good enough, you don't take him off the field. That's why Bob Kraft came out and said he wants nothing to do with Vick, and that's why the fish were so willing to do it with Pennington.

But it's a gimmick, and it'll fade. Trick plays work better when you can perform them with your base personnel. Brad Smith would be infinitely more effective running his gadget plays if he were a legitimate WR first. But of course, once he's a legitimate WR the team is much better off with their #1 QB throwing to him most of the time instead of having him throw it.

Teams that are piss poor at the QB position might be inclined to platoon the position on occasion, but I don't ever see it becoming a real league trend.

To be fair, that was as unimpressive as they get to go to the conference championships. They won 11 regular season games in a garbage division as they scored 3 more points than the opposition. 8 of their 11 wins came against teams with losing records. Then they beat an 8-8 team in the divisional round of the playoffs. That 8-8 Rams team advanced that far by beating a 9-7 Seahawks team from an even crappier division. There's your conference championship game.

Vick could tear apart bad defenses, absolutely tear them apart.

That's why he wasn't a bad QB, he was like Chad Pennington - Good enough to win but always limited in how much he could win.

Mike Vick gets unfair treatment. He was still a relatively young QB, with a solid winning record, 3 probowl appereances, 3 playoff appearances? And one conference championship appearance.

We judge Qb's of wins and losses, we can always point to years where a division/conference was down, but you need a talented leader to still get you through those times and Vick did for the Falcons.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying he was great, but Vick was an above average QB that made you game plan in ways that was disruptive for opposing D's.

Archived