Jets' new defense fits Rhodes just fine

Jetfan13

Lets compare last season to the All Powerfull Ed Reeds #'s:

KR

YearTeamGTotal Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDsYds Avg Lng200816 8460241.0--5205025.0 50

Ed Reed:

YearTeamGTotal Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef IntTDs Yds Avg Lng2008

16 41 34 7 1.0 0169226429.3 107T

looks liike Rhodes actually had a better season against the run. And you can't blame him if the rb gets past everyone else in front of him...

With Leonhard next to him this year like he ws next to Reed last year, I expect HUGE things from KR..

Reed goes for the big play on every play. The reason he misses as many tackles as he does is because he's looking to strip the ball rather than take the guy down. It pays off for him more than enough to get away with it though. He's a ridiculous playmaker.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reed goes for the big play on every play. The reason he misses as many tackles as he does is because he's looking to strip the ball rather than take the guy down. It pays off for him more than enough to get away with it though. He's a ridiculous playmaker.

agreed..not tryingto compare players, just their numbers from last year. Two different type players, but again with Leonhard next to him and being very comfortable in the scheme, KR should have a big season.

Rex seems to like him, good enough for me

Rhodes is a top 5 safety and will be back to playing like one.

I'm amazed that guys like Reed and Troy P. can disappear and f up and still be considered top of the line guys. Rhodes disappears and he's most overrated everz.

Jets fans are a very angry bunch.

You're completely wrong.

Define a physical safety...Rhodes isn't a guy who will lay WR's out left, right and centre but he tackles as well as anyone, in fact as well as any safety in the league (He's much better in that area than either Polamalu or Ed Reed BTW).

But nah, let's cut him or better yet let's trade him for Roy Williams and watch aanyone with a pulse run right by the "Smack you in the mouth safety".

Hitting is overrated.

Hard hitting safeies are overrated??..Ask some NFL wide receivers about that..Rhodes is what he is.. a chaser, not a thumper..an athlete ,not a beast..and a pretty boy who refuses to take ANY blame for his poor play in 2008, also an actor,model,celebrity..He's a busy guy

You're completely wrong.

Define a physical safety...Rhodes isn't a guy who will lay WR's out left, right and centre but he tackles as well as anyone, in fact as well as any safety in the league (He's much better in that area than either Polamalu or Ed Reed BTW).

But nah, let's cut him or better yet let's trade him for Roy Williams and watch aanyone with a pulse run right by the "Smack you in the mouth safety".

Hitting is overrated.

Hitting is not overrated. It's why Ronnie Lott is in the HoF and why Ed Reed will be. How many times have you seen a WR go over the middle early in a game, get popped and pussie out the rest of the game? Heck it's one of the signature things a saftey can do. I'm not saying Rhodes cannot be a very good, even Pro Bowl safety, merely that he has not yet done so. And further that he keeps writing checks with his mouth that his production on the field does not back up. I would love it to be otherwise, but just because a guy wears Jets green doesn't mean he should be above criticism. And if you're going to run your mouth about how great you are 24/7, then double that.

Ed Reed is a big hitter? Big hitters at safety are overrated. It's a nice intimidation quality, but being a good tackler is better.

Also, Rhodes has been a Pro Bowl quality S for 2 out of the past 3 seasons.

Why can Reed and Troy P. miss half a season but Rhodes can't? Reed didn't even show up for '09 until the second half of the season.

and a pretty boy who refuses to take ANY blame for his poor play in 2008,

He didn't play poorly in '09.

Ed Reed is a big hitter? Big hitters at safety are overrated. It's a nice intimidation quality, but being a good tackler is better.

Also, Rhodes has been a Pro Bowl quality S for 2 out of the past 3 seasons.

Why can Reed and Troy P. miss half a season but Rhodes can't? Reed didn't even show up for '09 until the second half of the season.

He didn't play poorly in '09.

The treatment this board gives Kerry Rhodes is unbelievable. He had one down year when our secondary sucked. How many S's shine with a terrible secondary around them?

He out played Troy P and Ed Reed for 2 straight years. They both had big years last years when Rhodes didnt and now he sucks. Its unreal.

Hitting is not overrated. It's why Ronnie Lott is in the HoF and why Ed Reed will be. How many times have you seen a WR go over the middle early in a game, get popped and pussie out the rest of the game? Heck it's one of the signature things a saftey can do. I'm not saying Rhodes cannot be a very good, even Pro Bowl safety, merely that he has not yet done so. And further that he keeps writing checks with his mouth that his production on the field does not back up. I would love it to be otherwise, but just because a guy wears Jets green doesn't mean he should be above criticism. And if you're going to run your mouth about how great you are 24/7, then double that.

And if you watch football you'll find that is more down to the absolute sham of a setup that is the pro-bowl rather than Rhodes not playing to a pro-bowl level.

The treatment this board gives Kerry Rhodes is unbelievable. He had one down year when our secondary sucked. How many S's shine with a terrible secondary around them?

He out played Troy P and Ed Reed for 2 straight years. They both had big years last years when Rhodes didnt and know he sucks. Its unreal.

Funny you mentioned that. On Steeler boards you could go back to this time last year and you'll find that Polamalu was getting similar treatment that Rhodes is getting now, actually probably worse because he did flat out suck for two years while Kerry has had nothing more than a down year stat wise.

(Oh but Bugg they were two probowl years so I guess that means something in your eyes, forget about how Polamalu actually played)

:yawn:

Hard hitting safeies are overrated??..Ask some NFL wide receivers about that..Rhodes is what he is.. a chaser, not a thumper..an athlete ,not a beast..and a pretty boy who refuses to take ANY blame for his poor play in 2008, also an actor,model,celebrity..He's a busy guy

You have the number of those guys handy? I bet you talk to them all the time.

You guys make more excuses for Rhodes than Rhodes does. And comparing him to Reed and Polamalu makes you flat-out silly. Those guys change games and lead their teams. When has Rhodes changed a game? He's a nice player. He plays the pass well. But that's it. He's one dimensional and if he played for amy other team you guys would be the first ones to criticize him, but because he's a Jet you all want to rally around him and make excuses for him. At least be a LITTLE bit objective, fellas.

He out played Troy P and Ed Reed for 2 straight years. They both had big years last years when Rhodes didnt and now he sucks. Its unreal.

Stop using facts to back up Kerry Rhodes. With Pennington, Mangini and Favre gone, Jet fans need to hate. So they have annointed, unfairly, Thomas Jones and Kerry Rhodes.

Screw the fans who bash Rhodes. They don't know what they're talking about and obviously havn't played a down of defensive football in their lives if they bash him for his performance last season.

You guys make more excuses for Rhodes than Rhodes does. And comparing him to Reed and Polamalu makes you flat-out silly. Those guys change games and lead their teams. When has Rhodes changed a game? He's a nice player. He plays the pass well. But that's it. He's one dimensional and if he played for amy other team you guys would be the first ones to criticize him, but because he's a Jet you all want to rally around him and make excuses for him. At least be a LITTLE bit objective, fellas.

Other teams fans talk more highly of Rhodes than Jets fans do.

Rhodes is a beast and people will probably magically remember that this year.

Yep.

Other teams fans view Rhodes as a better player than Revis, actually. Many fans. I post on several opposing teams boards and the best Jet in all of their minds is either Rhodes or Nick Mangold. Every single time.

Yep.

Other teams fans view Rhodes as a better player than Revis, actually. Many fans. I post on several opposing teams boards and the best Jet in all of their minds is either Rhodes or Nick Mangold. Every single time.

Thats because Packer and Titans fans insist we all bow to the greatness of Finnegan and Woodson though.

Coaches would kill for a safety like Rhodes.

Thats because Packer and Titans fans insist we all bow to the greatness of Finnegan and Woodson though.

Coaches would kill for a safety like Rhodes.

I do bow to the greatness of Finnegan & Woodson, actually. Doesn't mean I don't like Revis, I'm just not ready to call him Jesus after 1 solid season.

Because he's a self-promoter who is constantly on NFLN and ESPN. Many Jets fans who watch the games every week and try to reconcile the Rhodes they see in interviews and read quotes from in the paper all week with the guy who takes the field every Sunday where opposing passing games regularly shred their defense know better. If you like hype, you like Kerry.

Stop using facts to back up Kerry Rhodes. With Pennington, Mangini and Favre gone, Jet fans need to hate. So they have annointed, unfairly, Thomas Jones and Kerry Rhodes.

Screw the fans who bash Rhodes. They don't know what they're talking about and obviously havn't played a down of defensive football in their lives if they bash him for his performance last season.

LOL! I can't believe you used the "You never played the game" card. Come on, bro!

LOL! I can't believe you used the "You never played the game" card. Come on, bro!

Well I'm no aec4, I don't have Class A Minor League Baseball on my side, but seriously, it doesn't take much to understand that Mangini was not putting Rhodes in the position to succeed during the 2008 season. It was VERY clear.

Well I'm no aec4, I don't have Class A Minor League Baseball on my side, but seriously, it doesn't take much to understand that Mangini was not putting Rhodes in the position to succeed during the 2008 season. It was VERY clear.

I'm telling you, my man, all this love you're giving Rhodes now you'll be giving to Leonhard in two weeks. He's a pimp. Rhodes is just a guy. We should draft Taylor Mays next year.

And according to Rhodes, over the course of Mangini's tenure, Kerry went in SEVERAL times to try to get Mangini to open up his role, to free him up so he could make more plays and use his talent.

But wait TOmShane, you're trying to tell us that Mangini is going to be a good coach outside of New York so of COURSE you hate Rhodes.

I'm telling you, my man, all this love you're giving Rhodes now you'll be giving to Leonhard in two weeks. He's a pimp. Rhodes is just a guy. We should draft Taylor Mays next year.

Rhodes is far from a JAG and I have already given plenty of love to Jimmy Leonhard. I loved watching him last year in Baltimore and he was my #1 guy I wanted for this team, more so than Bart Scott. I am so glad Leonhard is here. IMO, we have the best pair of Safeties in the game.

Hahaha Rhodes is a JAG...dude...Leonhard's a JAG...he's just here so Rhodes doesn't have to do what he did last year and he can do what he did in '06/'07.

That was funny though.

Taylor Mays only hopes to be the player Rhodes is...though I've made that comparison before. Mays plays the same role for USC that Rhodes did last year...he's got like 4 INTs in 3 years there...if we take any S it better be Reshad Jones or Eric Berry.

And according to Rhodes, over the course of Mangini's tenure, Kerry went in SEVERAL times to try to get Mangini to open up his role, to free him up so he could make more plays and use his talent.

But wait TOmShane, you're trying to tell us that Mangini is going to be a good coach outside of New York so of COURSE you hate Rhodes.

Bro, there's a reason Rhodes was moved away from the line if scrimmage. It's not like Mangini didn't WANT to use him the way he used Rodney Harrison in New England; he COULDN'T use him that way because Rhodes doesn't deal with contact.

But, we will see who is right this year. I hope ALL the Jets I piss on now come back and make me look stupid. Rhodes, Gholston, etc. If they do good, the team does well, and that's what we all want in the end.

Hahaha Rhodes is a JAG...dude...Leonhard's a JAG...he's just here so Rhodes doesn't have to do what he did last year and he can do what he did in '06/'07.

That was funny though.

Taylor Mays only hopes to be the player Rhodes is...though I've made that comparison before. Mays plays the same role for USC that Rhodes did last year...he's got like 4 INTs in 3 years there...if we take any S it better be Reshad Jones or Eric Berry.

Eric Berry is the best

Bro, there's a reason Rhodes was moved away from the line if scrimmage. It's not like Mangini didn't WANT to use him the way he used Rodney Harrison in New England; he COULDN'T use him that way because Rhodes doesn't deal with contact.

But, we will see who is right this year. I hope ALL the Jets I piss on now come back and make me look stupid. Rhodes, Gholston, etc. If they do good, the team does well, and that's what we all want in the end.

Ummmmmmmm thats not why Rhodes moved away. Pretty sure the coach wouldn't think to himself "man that safety with 7 sacks, 9 INTs, 19 PDF, and 165 TKLs in the past 2 years is scared of contact. F that he's our best defensive playmaker, he's scared."

The reason Rhodes got pushed back is because of Elam, Lowery, and Law. Mostly Elam.

Shush girl, shut your lips, do the Hellen Keller and talk with your hips.

how is this for objectivity....youre a moron

The reason he wasn't playing there was because through the start of the season he wasn't needed there. Our front 7 stopped the run by itself. Rhodes was isolated downfiled through most of the season and teams rarely went anywhere near him.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say Tom, but you are way off base with Kerry Rhodes.....wayyyy off base.

He had one bad season and everyone bashes him because he has a big mouth. I'm sorry, but I like a guy with a little confidence that brnigs character to our very vanilla team. I wasnt around this board when he was playing top 5 at his position, but I cant imagine he was getting the disrespect he gets nowadays because of one bad season when we had one of the worst secondaries int he league.

Just got off the phone with Brandon Marshall. You were right glenn212, he said Rhodes is a bitch. Damn.

I never said Rhodes was a bitch IJ..you just did..He's just not a physical player..he's not thumpin you.he's a chaser and a nice tall cover 2 safety that does a nice job covering halves..Thats mainly a safeties job in Cover 2..Rhodes wants to play up close and come free off the edge to "CHASE" down the QB. Show me one play where Rhodes laid someone out, There might be 1..but thats not his game..Thats the truth IJ

Archived