Jets' new defense fits Rhodes just fine

Jetfan13

I agree with a lot of what you have to say Tom, but you are way off base with Kerry Rhodes.....wayyyy off base.

He had one bad season and everyone bashes him because he has a big mouth. I'm sorry, but I like a guy with a little confidence that brnigs character to our very vanilla team. I wasnt around this board when he was playing top 5 at his position, but I cant imagine he was getting the disrespect he gets nowadays because of one bad season when we had one of the worst secondaries int he league.

Homey, from your lips to the football Gods' ears. Like I said, I HOPE he proves me wrong and shows up ready to play physical football, but I don't think that he's ever shown the ability or willingness to do it. We will see, my man.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Homey, from your lips to the football Gods' ears. Like I said, I HOPE he proves me wrong and shows up ready to play physical football, but I don't think that he's ever shown the ability or willingness to do it. We will see, my man.

He's not getting bashed for his play in 2008..which wasn't awful not great but not awful..Its his ENDLESS self absorbtion and non stop yapping about how great he's going to be AND he puts the blame on EM and takes 0 responsibility for anything..Watch him if something bad happens in a game near him..he's awful quick to point at a teammate..in front of 80,000 people..BS

He's not getting bashed for his play in 2008..which wasn't awful not great but not awful..Its his ENDLESS self absorbtion and non stop yapping about how great he's going to be AND he puts the blame on EM and takes 0 responsibility for anything..Watch him if something bad happens in a game near him..he's awful quick to point at a teammate..in front of 80,000 people..BS

wow, just like Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning and numerous others....Guess it would be better if he just stuck his finger up his ass and said oh well

I never said Rhodes was a bitch IJ..you just did..He's just not a physical player..he's not thumpin you.he's a chaser and a nice tall cover 2 safety that does a nice job covering halves..Thats mainly a safeties job in Cover 2..Rhodes wants to play up close and come free off the edge to "CHASE" down the QB. Show me one play where Rhodes laid someone out, There might be 1..but thats not his game..Thats the truth IJ

And like said that's unbelievably overrated.

And like said that's unbelievably overrated.

IJ, some people believe safeties are supposed to lay people out and hit like trucks to be successful.

Other people actually know what football is really about.

What good is being able to knock someone out if you can't cover for ****?

Here's a perfect example:

Revis' rookie year I believe. We were playing Buffalo and JP Losman threw a deep pass that Revis had pretty good coverage on and was fighting the receiver for the ball. Abe Elam comes over to help in coverage, looking for the big, huge hit, and wound up leveling Revis instead, enabling the receiver to run all the way in for a TD. That Elam sure could hit, but at what cost? I'm pretty sure we lost that game. But he sure could hit hard.

IJ, some people believe safeties are supposed to lay people out and hit like trucks to be successful.

Other people actually know what football is really about.

What good is being able to knock someone out if you can't cover for ****?

Here's a perfect example:

Revis' rookie year I believe. We were playing Buffalo and JP Losman threw a deep pass that Revis had pretty good coverage on. Abe Elam comes over to help in coverage, looking for the big, huge hit, and wound up leveling Revis instead, enabling the receiver to run all the way in for a TD. That Elam sure could hit, but at what cost? I'm pretty sure we lost that game. But he sure could hit hard.

I remember another play against the Bengals were Elam did a similar thing. It was third and inches and he went to lay out Kenny Watson, Watson took the hit went backwards but ran on to get the first down. If Rhodes is one on one he'll take the back down, every time. That's what matters, not big ****ing hits. They're great for sportscentre though.

You guys are right. Abe Elam sucks, so the safety position should be defined by players who don't tackle. Except, the safeties winning rings and playing in Super Bowls since, oh, forever have all been guys who beat on and intimidate slot receivers: Troy Polamalu and Adrian Wilson last year; Rodney Harrison, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Gibril freaking Wilson, John Lynch, Darren Woodson, James Washington, etc, etc., etc. Find the contending team that plays safeties that don't hit. Go on, do it.

But Abe Elam stinks, so yeah, the rest of NFL history means nothing.

A safety being able to "lay the wood" on receivers is over rated ? Please tell me your kidding IJ?

According to Ronnie Lott, it's the most important part of being a successful safety.

But, what does the greatest safety of all-time know about playing the position?

According to Ronnie Lott, it's the most important part of being a successful safety.

But, what does the greatest safety of all-time know about playing the position?

Of course it is..Receivers do not want to run to the middle of the field when they know a thumper is lurking and its going to be a painful experience, when there is not a hitting safety, WR's run free like the birds thru the middle of the field..a safety that puts the smack on people is HUGE in the NFL

I'm drinkin the TOmShane kool-aid

Of course it is..Receivers do not want to run to the middle of the field when they know a thumper is lurking and its going to be a painful experience, when there is not a hitting safety, WR's run free like the birds thru the middle of the field..a safety that puts the smack on people is HUGE in the NFL

I'm drinkin the TOmShane kool-aid

Isn't that illegal in the NFL now? you cant blind side a guy going thru the middle?

I agree with a 1 safety being a hard hitter but I think if you have one then the other should be a Ball hawk.

Archived