Boston's Youkilis charges mound vs. Tigers

JetNation

You've obviously never been in a fight. Porcello never turned around and always faced Youk, placing himself into a better tactical position, before using Youk's momentum against him.

Since this has turned into a debate thread instead of a help thread, I'm going to move it.

Nothing beats having to move your own thread.

you're right.

Me too.

I'm glad the Sox won the game. Youks is an idiot.

I get the idea of firing up your team but I mean, you guys got ground to make up and it FINALLY seems like your offense woke up... and he's an important piece to you guys. Taking him out severely weakens your line-up, IMO.

He leads the league in HBP. Garb hit it right on the head earlier in this thread.

Another Yankee fan talking without doing some research. Go figure.

That is the 10th time Youkilis has been hit.

Utley- 17

Shoppach- 15

Inge- 14

Choo- 13

Willingham- 11

I get the idea of firing up your team but I mean, you guys got ground to make up and it FINALLY seems like your offense woke up... and he's an important piece to you guys. Taking him out severely weakens your line-up, IMO.

Of course it does. Take your base, and be happy that you're in the Tiger's heads.

This means 4-5 days of Varitek. Ugh.

Youkilis, Porcello appeal suspensions

NEW YORK -- Boston Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis and Detroit Tigers pitcher Rick Porcello were suspended for five games each Wednesday and fined by Major League Baseball for their roles in a benches-clearing confrontation.

The pair asked the players' union to appeal the penalties, which will be held off pending completion of the process.

MLB vice president Bob Watson cited Youkilis for charging the mound, throwing his helmet at Porcello and inciting Tuesday night's hostilities. Watson penalized Porcello for intentionally throwing pitches at Victor Martinez in the first inning and Youkilis in the second.

In addition, Detroit pitched Edwin Jackson was fined for what Watson said were aggressive actions.

Players from benches and bullpens went onto the field at Fenway Park and Youkilis tackled Porcello, but no punches were thrown. Youkilis and Porcello were ejected.

Tempers had been escalating since Monday night, when Miguel Cabrera was hit in the top of the fourth and Youkilis was plunked in the bottom half; Detroit's Brandon Inge was hit in the eighth.

On Tuesday, Cabrera was hit in the left hand in the top of the first by Junichi Tazawa. When Porcello threw an inside pitch to Martinez in the bottom, he took a few menacing steps toward the mound before returning to the batter's box.

Youkilis led off the second inning and was hit in the back with the first pitch. He dropped his bat and ran toward Porcello, missing the pitcher with his batting helmet.

Boston, trailing 3-0 at the time, tied the score later in the inning on Jason Bay's three-run homer off Chris Lambert and went on to win 7-5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4394479

Exactly. It's the same reason Jeter gets hit, but Jeter isn't a bitch about it.

Pukilis got owned. I LIKE it.

Jeter also knows his face makes him money and he wouldn't want to risk that being messed up.

Throwing the helmet is not a smart thing sure. Shouldn't have done it. How is it any different than throwing the 90+ mile per hour fastball on purpose, though? Pitcher threw something at Youks first. Youks returned the favor.

Jeter also knows his face makes him money and he wouldn't want to risk that being messed up.

Throwing the helmet is not a smart thing sure. Shouldn't have done it. How is it any different than throwing the 90+ mile per hour fastball on purpose, though? Pitcher threw something at Youks first. Youks returned the favor.

There's certain etiquette. I'm sure you'd justify him coming out with his bat then.

Really it's OK to admit your player did something wrong.

There's certain etiquette. I'm sure you'd justify him coming out with his bat then.

Really it's OK to admit your player did something wrong.

The bat is much different. Like I said he shouldn't have thrown the helmet. I also completely agree with him charging the mound. Porcello blatantly threw at him.

The bat is much different. Like I said he shouldn't have thrown the helmet. I also completely agree with him charging the mound. Porcello blatantly threw at him.

Oh I agree on that. And he's welcome to charge the mound, part of the game but throwing the helmet isn't.

I love it when guys charge the mound. But running out there just to try and tackle him? Wtf is that all about? Are we sure he wasn't just trying to give him a hug?

Throw a haymaker or something; make it interesting.

You know why Youkilis gets hit a lot?

Pitchers look at him and say to themselves, "man that guy looks like a dickhead, I want to punch him in the face but I'm 60 feet 6 inches away from him, I know, I'll throw the ball at his face."

Plain and simple.

So people just throw **** at you all the time?

Jeter seemed pretty willing to give up his face on this one

Derek%20Jeter%20Bloody%20Flying%20Catch%207%201%202004.jpg

jeter-3_71b05kbv.JPG

THAT'S how you help your team win. Not by being baseball's ultimate BITCH.

Archived