Do the Jets Still Need a Veteran Backup QB?

SoFlaJets

I would feel much better about our season if we had a true vet QB on our roster. It's worked out quite well in Zona and Tenn. just to name the most recent, but over the years there have been many times when a vet was brought in to be the BU to a rookie only to turn out to be the starter.

I would feel much better about our season if we had a true vet QB on our roster. It's worked out quite well in Zona and Tenn. just to name the most recent, but over the years there have been many times when a vet was brought in to be the BU to a rookie only to turn out to be the starter.

I like all 3 of those names that guy mentioned-especially Thigpen then Volek and lastly Carr

The problem with their current QB situation is experience but the bigger problem is upside. If Sanchez is starting that would mean that Clemens was beat out again. Okay so he is the backup and maybe they could groom him as a career backup type. I am alright with that.

But Ainge, what is his upside? I don't think it is huge and that spot would be better served by putting a veteran in there.

The problem with their current QB situation is experience but the bigger problem is upside. If Sanchez is starting that would mean that Clemens was beat out again. Okay so he is the backup and maybe they could groom him as a career backup type. I am alright with that.

But Ainge, what is his upside? I don't think it is huge and that spot would be better served by putting a veteran in there.

I see Ainge's upside as a guy that can be a cheap number 2 QB when Clemens leaves next year. I think if Ainge is given a chance to develop in the same system, he could be a nice number 2 guy...like what Frank Reich was under Jim Kelly, Todd Collins with the Redskins, Luke McCown with the Bucs....none of those guys had any more aclaim than Ainge coming out of college but were able to develop because they had the requisite height and arm for the position and someone gave them the chance to learn.

As far as adding a veteran to the mix here, I am all for it if we are adding Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner like the examples given, but if we are adding Charlie Batch or David Carr...what's the point? You can lose games just as easy with the guy we have already.

The Jets don't know who their starter is yet, so their hands are tied a little bit. Ideally both QB's show a lot in the preseason, and the Jets get something in return for Clemens next year. I think the only way they pick up a veteran this year is if Clemens shows them absolutely nothing this summer.

Next year is a different story. Clemens will probably be gone whether they get something for him or not, and they'll be free to bring in a decent vet and hand him the #2 job. I think very few worthy QB's would be interested in the NFL minimum and 3rd string on the roster, anyway.

What's the purpose?

The veteran isn't going to start and Clemens is an adequate backup.

As to a hypothetical scenario the article suggests (starter hurt & backup struggles) then the Jets season has gone to crap. Carr, Volek, and Thigpen aren't going to rescue the season with their QB "experience."

A veteran QB is a wasted roster spot, plain and simple because the contingency it insures again is remote and the insurance doesn't protect the team anyway.

Was saying that all through last season.

Wow!!!!

Thought I was alone in this. I said I liked him as a QB since halfway through last year and all my friends looked at me like I was crazy. Wish we could bring him in.

Or Garcia. I'm pretty sure he's been signed already, which is unfortunate. I think Garcia is still a capable QB and he would have been a great vet to mentor Sanchez!!!

The Jets don't know who their starter is yet, so their hands are tied a little bit. Ideally both QB's show a lot in the preseason, and the Jets get something in return for Clemens next year. I think the only way they pick up a veteran this year is if Clemens shows them absolutely nothing this summer.

Next year is a different story. Clemens will probably be gone whether they get something for him or not, and they'll be free to bring in a decent vet and hand him the #2 job. I think very few worthy QB's would be interested in the NFL minimum and 3rd string on the roster, anyway.

I think if you're someone like a Thigpen you easily move up to the 2 when you join the team. The question would not be who is 1 and 2, the question would be who is the 1 and who is the 3.

What's the purpose?

The veteran isn't going to start and Clemens is an adequate backup.

As to a hypothetical scenario the article suggests (starter hurt & backup struggles) then the Jets season has gone to crap. Carr, Volek, and Thigpen aren't going to rescue the season with their QB "experience."

A veteran QB is a wasted roster spot, plain and simple because the contingency it insures again is remote and the insurance doesn't protect the team anyway.

You'd get the veteran QB to mentor both Sanchez and Clemens on how to win and lose in the NFL. They need an old hand who they can relate to (who isn't a coach) that knows the league, and how to handle the ups and downs of NFL life. As it stands, you have a bunch of young QB's who don't know anything about winning on the NFL level. They should fix that.

No.

You either have Clemens, whose spent 4 years in the system, or the guy you just gave $50 million to as the back-up with Ainge as the #3. We don't need to add a freakin Quarterback, we need Wide Receivers.

Archived