Best Buy won't honor $10 TVs.

Alk

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/?fpn=customers%20irate%20about%2010%20hdtv%20ad&GT1=33009

The thing that amazes me most about this is the customers trying to file a class action lawsuit. Really people? Show some freakin' pride.

I ordered one of those T.V.'s

No idea about the class actions suits but I was 100% sure they weren't sending me a ten dollar T.V.

I still gave it a shot.

The lawsuits are going to fail. I'm pretty sure all these online retailers have in their fine print/terms of service that they do not have to honor potential typos and what not, and they can just inform the customer that and cancel or change his order.

Those guys had better shot with one of those competitor price match guarantees. I know Circuit City used to have one of those. But, the only way to get a ten dollar T.V. is to rob one.

I ordered one of those T.V.'s

No idea about the class actions suits but I was 100% sure they weren't sending me a ten dollar T.V.

I still gave it a shot.

See, I totally understand that. Why the hell not give it a try? But to flat out expect them to honor it and then try suing them? Wow.

This stuff happens all the time. You go to the grocery store and see signs for the misprinted coupons in the newspaper that the store won't recognize.

Hey to give it a shot on the chance they honor it, I would have tried it if I saw it soon enough.

To get PO'd and sue when they don't, pathetic.

The lawsuits are going to fail. I'm pretty sure all these online retailers have in their fine print/terms of service that they do not have to honor potential typos and what not, and they can just inform the customer that and cancel or change his order.

Not only that, but a one-sided mistake is often cause for revoking a contract where the mistake is obvious and not called to the attention of the erring party, and causes a significant loss.

I'd say "$10.00 52" HDTV" is a pretty damn obvious mistake

Not only that, but a one-sided mistake is often cause for revoking a contract where the mistake is obvious and not called to the attention of the erring party, and causes a significant loss.

Yep. As per the Best Buy Conditions of Use:

Errors on Our Site

Prices and availability of products and services are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered, and Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions including after an order has been submitted and whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is cancelled, Best Buy will issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of the charge. Individual bank policies will dictate when this amount is credited to your account. If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, you may return it in accordance with Best Buy's Return Policy.

Doesn't get much clearer than that. I can't believe people actually thought that deal was real.

I dunno that there's any contract to revoke. I don't know a great deal about e-commerce law, but I would have to imagine that they've got it couched so an 'online store' operates as a solicitation of offers, the same way as an advertisement does.

I dunno that there's any contract to revoke. I don't know a great deal about e-commerce law, but I would have to imagine that they've got it couched so an 'online store' operates as a solicitation of offers, the same way as an advertisement does.

Could you bring that down a half step?

I doubt it - even if they tried to set it up that way, once you have an acceptance of credit card payment its a contract.

Archived