Gholston last night

BroadwayJ667

Well I was all prepared to jump off his bandwagon after the game, because If you have been paying attention I've been rooting for the guy. Well anyway it lookd like he was his non impact self again.

However I watched the re-airing of the game and I taped it. He actually did ok with what he was presented.

Early in the game he lined up as a down lineman . On the Harris sack, his responsibility was to take up 2 men so that either Kerry or David would get to the QB, he did his job.

other times he was to drop into coverage, he looks a little stiff, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Later in the game when he was with the 2nd string I thought, this was his shot. He looked as if he was junk. However on closer inspection St. Louis was running 3 and quick 5 step drops. Almost no player can get to the QB unless a lineman blows an assignment. so I gave him a pass.

When he did chase down the QB on that on play I couldn't tell because it was the far side of the field, but it looked as if he was jogging after the QB, where as With Potter, he looked like he wanted to kill him, and subsequently did to Berlin.

For this game I give gholston an Incomplete, until I watch the tape again for the early portion of the game.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I was all prepared to jump off his bandwagon after the game, because If you have been paying attention I've been rooting for the guy. Well anyway it lookd like he was his non impact self again.

However I watched the re-airing of the game and I taped it. He actually did ok with what he was presented.

Early in the game he lined up as a down lineman . On the Harris sack, his responsibility was to take up 2 men so that either Kerry or David would get to the QB, he did his job.

other times he was to drop into coverage, he looks a little stiff, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Later in the game when he was with the 2nd string I thought, this was his shot. He looked as if he was junk. However on closer inspection St. Louis was running 3 and quick 5 step drops. Almost no player can get to the QB unless a lineman blows an assignment. so I gave him a pass.

When he did chase down the QB on that on play I couldn't tell because it was the far side of the field, but it looked as if he was jogging after the QB, where as With Potter, he looked like he wanted to kill him, and subsequently did to Berlin.

For this game I give gholston an Incomplete, until I watch the tape again for the early portion of the game.

This sounds like a perfect response from a Gholston Apologist.

He's a bust, always has been a bust, and anyone with their eyes open would have seen this PRE 2008 Draft.

he could not shed the block of 3rd stringers...Mike Mamula Jr... pathetic

Keep ripping on Gholston fine, but Mike Mamula wasn't that bad. He basically got a sack every other start and if he hadn't had the injury problems he would have had a fine career. He gets crucified in Philly because he got picked ahead of Sapp. Sound familiar? If Gholston turns out like Mike Mamula at this point we'll all be happy.

This sounds like a perfect response from a Gholston Apologist.

He's a bust, always has been a bust, and anyone with their eyes open would have seen this PRE 2008 Draft.

well gee jackass, I said I was on the guys bandwagon, try to add a little more insight if you want to criticize

Keep ripping on Gholston fine, but Mike Mamula wasn't that bad. He basically got a sack every other start and if he hadn't had the injury problems he would have had a fine career. He gets crucified in Philly because he got picked ahead of Sapp. Sound familiar? If Gholston turns out like Mike Mamula at this point we'll all be happy.

I'd be happy as **** if he was that good.

You're right, calling Gholston Mamula is a compliment to Gholston.

well gee jackass, I said I was on the guys bandwagon, try to add a little more insight if you want to criticize

He was this way pre-draft. I had the same comments to say then. The guy just doesn't "love" football like you need to to play in the NFL. I'd prefer we draft PLAYERS instead of guys with good measurables.

worse than DRob? who we traded up for?

yeah because at least drob was a pretty servieable player. he might not have lived up to the small fotune in draft picks we gave up to get him, but he still contributed. gholston, so far, looks like he will never contribute anything to the team at all. which is a problem because of the amount of money teams have to give to these unproven players......it's a terrible system.

The 77 yard run by the Rams RB Gado was mostly Gholstons fault. I really wish for this kid to be the real deal buy honestly he isnt showing it. he looked like he read the run play and broke back to recover but for some reason instead of blasting off to the RB he looked like he hesitated and the blocker came from behind him and not only blocked him but was the major block to spriing the touchdown run. there were numerous plays before that I seen him get off the line good but run directly into the blocker. No swim moves, no chop block, nothing....just run right to the blocker and put your hands on his shoulders.

This kid is not looking like he has it.

I kinda feel bad because mentally I am really pulling for this kid because he is the underdog at the moment.

The 77 yard run by the Rams RB Gado was mostly Gholstons fault. I really wish for this kid to be the real deal buy honestly he isnt showing it. he looked like he read the run play and broke back to recover but for some reason instead of blasting off to the RB he looked like he hesitated and the blocker came from behind him and not only blocked him but was the major block to spriing the touchdown run. there were numerous plays before that I seen him get off the line good but run directly into the blocker. No swim moves, no chop block, nothing....just run right to the blocker and put your hands on his shoulders.

This kid is not looking like he has it.

I kinda feel bad because mentally I am really pulling for this kid because he is the underdog at the moment.

Gholston? I don't see it. I watched it ten times and I blame Renkart. Renkart looked like he took the easy way in and left the gaping hole to jump through. Neither of them get fault for a TD. That falls squarely on the two DBs that whiffed the tackle - Cole and Ihedigbo I believe. Gholston had outside contain and Gado ripped right up the middle.

If we past on him, do you think the Pats would have taken him?

If we took Mayo?

If we did not?

Think he would be trash under B.Cheat too?

Good question. I think Gholston's issues are psychological, so you have to wonder if there was a coach out there who could pull the right strings. Maybe Gholston is just ridiculously high-maintenance and is/was too much to handle for Two first-time coaches like Rex and Mangini. Maybe a Parcells or a Belichick find a way to push the right buttons. But, even those guys have had their share of busts walk through their doors and stayed busts.

I want him to succeed also, but the Jets should have done their homework. Many people here knew this dude had bust potential written all over him. You have to pass when their is that big of a risk.

Every first round pick has bust potential. He happened to have more since he was more of an athlete than a football player. I have a feeling were gonna see some progression, but not a lot. Come next year thought, he'll make big strides. (I hope)

Gholston? I don't see it. I watched it ten times and I blame Renkart. Renkart looked like he took the easy way in and left the gaping hole to jump through. Neither of them get fault for a TD. That falls squarely on the two DBs that whiffed the tackle - Cole and Ihedigbo I believe. Gholston had outside contain and Gado ripped right up the middle.

I'm with you on this one.

If you're blaming Gholston, who was lined up outside, for a long run up the middle it suggests one of two things: a) you don't know what the hell you're talking about; B) you're so blinded by inexplicable hatred for the kid you need to blame him even though you know it wasn't his fault.

Vernon didn't play good Friday night. He also didn't play as bad as some of our fantasy stat obsessed brethren seem to think either. It's one preseason game. Lets not crucify the kid.

And for all those who seem to take such joy in ripping this kid - we are all Jets fans, lets not lose sight of the fact that its in our best interest for the kid to succeed.

One of my favorite Jets of all time is Marvin Jones. Marvin was never the guy we thought we were getting when we took him with the 7th overall pick, he was billed as the next Mike Singletary, but he turned out to be a more than serviceable starting MLB for a decade.

If Vernon can somehow contribute to this team for a decade I think we'll all be happy.

Archived