Gholston last night

BroadwayJ667

I'm with you on this one.

If you're blaming Gholston, who was lined up outside, for a long run up the middle it suggests one of two things: a) you don't know what the hell you're talking about; B) you're so blinded by inexplicable hatred for the kid you need to blame him even though you know it wasn't his fault.

Vernon didn't play good Friday night. He also didn't play as bad as some of our fantasy stat obsessed brethren seem to think either. It's one preseason game. Lets not crucify the kid.

And for all those who seem to take such joy in ripping this kid - we are all Jets fans, lets not lose sight of the fact that its in our best interest for the kid to succeed.

One of my favorite Jets of all time is Marvin Jones. Marvin was never the guy we thought we were getting when we took him with the 7th overall pick, he was billed as the next Mike Singletary, but he turned out to be a more than serviceable starting MLB for a decade.

If Vernon can somehow contribute to this team for a decade I think we'll all be happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He will contribute to this team for a decade or more when he learns how to mow grass and carry water.

Im saying this guy is horrible as in out of football in a year or two horrible.

It is a sin to compare him to Marvin Jones. Jones had to overcome reconstructive knee surgery and a serious neck injury.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He will contribute to this team for a decade or more when he learns how to mow grass and carry water.

Im saying this guy is horrible as in out of football in a year or two horrible.

It is a sin to compare him to Marvin Jones. Jones had to overcome reconstructive knee surgery and a serious neck injury.

Seriously dude. I am with EY on this. I seriously am starting to think that Gholston ****ed your girlfriend. You're hatred for this kid is beyond ridiculous.

Klecko73isgod,

I dont hate him. I hate the pick. He is probably a nice kid. There is no reason to HATE him.

He is however a terrible football player. If he was a 5th round pick or so he would have been cut last year but they are stuck because of the cash.

You gotta take off the green goggles when you look at him Kleck. He is baaaaaad.

If we past on him, do you think the Pats would have taken him?

If we took Mayo?

If we did not?

Think he would be trash under B.Cheat too?

The Cheat would have passed on him. The pick we should have made was Rivers. Tanny makes all the picks hes expected or supposed to make he gets way too much credit as the GM of this organization. He drafts scared and always will. The trade he made for Sanchez was not his doing he was told by Woody to make it happen.

Klecko73isgod,

I dont hate him. I hate the pick. He is probably a nice kid. There is no reason to HATE him.

He is however a terrible football player. If he was a 5th round pick or so he would have been cut last year but they are stuck because of the cash.

You gotta take off the green goggles when you look at him Kleck. He is baaaaaad.

It's not a matter of being a homer. I just prefer to root for him to succeed rather than resigning myself to his failure.

The Cheat would have passed on him. The pick we should have made was Rivers. Tanny makes all the picks hes expected or supposed to make he gets way too much credit as the GM of this organization. He drafts scared and always will. The trade he made for Sanchez was not his doing he was told by Woody to make it happen.

Stupid premise. Why isn't Leinart on the team then? Or Quinn? Revis, Harris, Greene. The guy trades to get guys he has targeted. In fact, you could argue that Gholston was the only pick he was "expected" to make and that is the bust.

Stupid premise. Why isn't Leinart on the team then? Or Quinn? Revis, Harris, Greene. The guy trades to get guys he has targeted. In fact, you could argue that Gholston was the only pick he was "expected" to make and that is the bust.

+1

Smashmouth is playing the old "let's define the GM by one pick that hasn't panned out and forget all of the good things he's done" game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you know this how? Is your last name Johnson or something?! Gimme a break with that b/s.

It's not a matter of being a homer. I just prefer to root for him to succeed rather than resigning myself to his failure.

Nothing wrong with that my friend.

However I have seen enough to be convinced he will not pan out.

I dont blame Tannenbaum or even Mangina for that matter.

High draft picks will ALWAYS be a gamble.

For every Mangold or Revis there will be a Gholston, Mike Williams, Mamula etc.

well, he has a ways to go to beat Lam Jones who was #2 overall in 1980,,sadly look at teh allpros and freakin Hal;l of Famers drafted AFTER Lam

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftyear.htm?yr=1980&lg=nfl

I think he's already lasted as long in the NFL as Ron Faurot. The thing about draft picks is as bad as the ones that you remember may have been, the ones you forgot were worse.

I think he's already lasted as long in the NFL as Ron Faurot. The thing about draft picks is as bad as the ones that you remember may have been, the ones you forgot were worse.

yup,,thing about 1980 however is the amount of studs we passed over,,1980 was a GREAT GREAT class ,and as usual, the Jets plucked the turd from the crop.

Ok so ya got me. Im still not a fan of Tanny and I never will be. Maybe thats why I said what I said. The guy was Parcells accountant before becoming the Jets GM he was also very young and unproven.

While there have been some good players picked Im not so sure Tannys been the front man in the choices. I guess what Im trying to say is Tanny does not have as much say as you guys think he does. Im pretty sure The Favre Debacle was spearheaded by Woody (PSL's) and I feel the same way about Sanchez (although Im happy we have him).

Now while we do have some good players drafted can someone tell me how our depth over all as a team is ? Do you think the NY Jets can plug players in like the Pittburgh Steelers, and the NE Patriots, and have done for so many years ? How many Franchise QB's early in their career get a totally unproven bunch of WR's ?

Our DL and OL depth is in bad shape and IMHO thats where the really good GM's shine in creating Depth and stockpiling Draft Picks. Our Depth is a big concern to me and we have been relatively lucky on the OL the last few years what happens if we lose 2 guys ? What happens if we lose a couple on the DL ? What happens if Cotch gets hurt ? Or Keller ? You plug the guys in for me here :) Two most important areas on the field OL and DL Depth = sh!t.

Exactly and the reason we drafted Sanchez may also have something to do with having no ****ing QB.

Ok so ya got me. Im still not a fan of Tanny and I never will be. Maybe thats why I said what I said. The guy was Parcells accountant before becoming the Jets GM he was also very young and unproven.

While there have been some good players picked Im not so sure Tannys been the front man in the choices. I guess what Im trying to say is Tanny does not have as much say as you guys think he does. Im pretty sure The Favre Debacle was spearheaded by Woody (PSL's) and I feel the same way about Sanchez (although Im happy we have him).

Now while we do have some good players drafted can someone tell me how our depth over all as a team is ? Do you think the NY Jets can plug players in like the Pittburgh Steelers, and the NE Patriots, and have done for so many years ? How many Franchise QB's early in their career get a totally unproven bunch of WR's ?

Our DL and OL depth is in bad shape and IMHO thats where the really good GM's shine in creating Depth and stockpiling Draft Picks. Our Depth is a big concern to me and we have been relatively lucky on the OL the last few years what happens if we lose 2 guys ? What happens if we lose a couple on the DL ? What happens if Cotch gets hurt ? Or Keller ? You plug the guys in for me here :) Two most important areas on the field OL and DL Depth = sh!t.

There is alot of mutual hatred between Patriot fans and Steelers fans but bottom line is both are exceptional in drafting and developing young talent. Neither would mortgage their future to trade up. Pats are more FA oriented than Steelers tho.

I still think Jets did right thing trading up for Sanchez but the next couple drafts will determine how long Jets contend IMO. Wouldn't want em' giving many picks away in coming years at all.

There is alot of mutual hatred between Patriot fans and Steelers fans but bottom line is both are exceptional in drafting and developing young talent. Neither would mortgage their future to trade up. Pats are more FA oriented than Steelers tho.

I still think Jets did right thing trading up for Sanchez but the next couple drafts will determine how long Jets contend IMO. Wouldn't want em' giving many picks away in coming years at all.

Oh I think the Jets did what they had to do in the case of Sanchez.

I do however admire the way the Steelers run their organization. It seems they lose alot of talent due to free agency and they always have someone to step in. Just look at their LB's and DL and why they have a top defense almost every single year. The O Line is always solid and they lost some FA there as well. Thats the way to judge a GM.

When it cones to FA's signings its more a move of the Head Coach and what he needs. Thats why we have 3 former Ravens on every Tier of our Defense. Very smart move By Rex. Not Tanny.

I think Tanny is good with Numbers but not so much with talent. Who knows I could be dead wrong but i doubt it.

He's better with talent than Parcells, but that's not saying much.

hehe

Parcells knew how to push the players buttons and he did it regularly. Paecells let his coaches coach and he knew the value of a solid staff. As Parcells began to lose "his guys" of which there were many, his winning percentage went down as well. I think without Belichick Parcells probably has No SB wins.

+1

Smashmouth is playing the old "let's define the GM by one pick that hasn't panned out and forget all of the good things he's done" game.

I dont think so Kleck . While My post may have looked that way its not the point Im trying to get across here.

The Patriots were absolutely hammered by Injuries last year yet they still almost won the Division. Sure some of that is coaching obviously but a lot of it is depth.

If your going to tell me your happy with the Jets Depth this year Im going to tell you your full of crap.

Im concerned at the WR position

Im concerned about the O-LIne

Im concerned about the D-Line

Im Very concerned at the TE position. What on earth do we do if Keller gets nicked up ? Send Converted O lineman out to catch passes ? Lets huirry and Sign Jumbo we know hes a terror around the endzone.

All Concernes on Depth. When the Core of your football (offensive and Defensive lines) team lacks Depth you better hope to god they all stay healthy or the wheels will fall off fast. In next years draft we need to address a WR and the rest of the Picks should be focusing on the lines, a blocking TE would be nice as well

I dont think so Kleck . While My post may have looked that way its not the point Im trying to get across here.

The Patriots were absolutely hammered by Injuries last year yet they still almost won the Division. Sure some of that is coaching obviously but a lot of it is depth.

If your going to tell me your happy with the Jets Depth this year Im going to tell you your full of crap.

Im concerned at the WR position

Im concerned about the O-LIne

Im concerned about the D-Line

Im Very concerned at the TE position. What on earth do we do if Keller gets nicked up ? Send Converted O lineman out to catch passes ? Lets huirry and Sign Jumbo we know hes a terror around the endzone.

All Concernes on Depth. When the Core of your football (offensive and Defensive lines) team lacks Depth you better hope to god they all stay healthy or the wheels will fall off fast. In next years draft we need to address a WR and the rest of the Picks should be focusing on the lines, a blocking TE would be nice as well

You need a core first befroe you can have depth. The Jets were a ****ty aging team that overpaid a bundle of guys. Their best asset was an always injured free agent rush DE when they were switching to the 3-4. Martin and Penny made too much and had little in the tank. You have to build your team first before you get depth. Favre and Faneca were the moves I'd worry about if I had your attitude, not trading middle round picks to move up and get the guys that are making up the very core you crave.

You need a core first befroe you can have depth. The Jets were a ****ty aging team that overpaid a bundle of guys. Their best asset was an always injured free agent rush DE when they were switching to the 3-4. Martin and Penny made too much and had little in the tank. You have to build your team first before you get depth. Favre and Faneca were the moves I'd worry about if I had your attitude, not trading middle round picks to move up and get the guys that are making up the very core you crave.

Your talking about transactions that occured 4 and 5 years ago. Our rebuild started as soon as we drafted Ferguson and Mangold the current depth on this team in that time frame is pitiful. Like I said before this is no longer the NFL of the 5 year build. Depth is built one way and thats through the draft. Proven FA O-Line backups are not cheap young drafted players that your team can develop are. We had 2 major issues that also hurt this team during that span the Kendall and Baker Issues. Now were having Issues with our most Dynamic player sure its business but some players still do take it to heart and If Leon Decides to let that dictate his future moves we will once again have failed Miserably. Sorry but I dont think Tanny is worth all the praise he gets

Mangini making the deal with the jets was easily the best thing he ever did for our franchise. A possible franchise qb. I thank him for that. It showed that there really was no bad blood between he and the organization. Great of him to help out Tanny. :)

Mangini making the deal with the jets was easily the best thing he ever did for our franchise. A possible franchise qb. I thank him for that. It showed that there really was no bad blood between he and the organization. Great of him to help out Tanny. :)

Having lived in Cleveland a number of years and knowing ALOT of clowns fans, so far the early reports are most all of em' believe the Jets made out in that draft day deal.

Quite a few are ready to can Mangini before the reg season even starts too! lol

Your talking about transactions that occured 4 and 5 years ago. Our rebuild started as soon as we drafted Ferguson and Mangold the current depth on this team in that time frame is pitiful. Like I said before this is no longer the NFL of the 5 year build. Depth is built one way and thats through the draft. Proven FA O-Line backups are not cheap young drafted players that your team can develop are. We had 2 major issues that also hurt this team during that span the Kendall and Baker Issues. Now were having Issues with our most Dynamic player sure its business but some players still do take it to heart and If Leon Decides to let that dictate his future moves we will once again have failed Miserably. Sorry but I dont think Tanny is worth all the praise he gets

I'm talking about when he took over. 2006. The contracts of Martin and Pennington were factors. Cheap young drafted players aren't much better than good UDFA choices. Nobody is burning 2nd rounders on backup O linemen. You admit that Tannenbaum is a monster with numbers, but you are going to whine about a couple of contract issues and Leon wanting a new deal? I've got news for you, everybody in the NFL wants a new deal.

Depth comes after you have a decent team. Look at the safety spot: Smith as depth looks pretty good. As a starter? Not so much. Same with Lowery at CB. You don't want a 5 year build? Then you don't want to follow the Pats or Steelers. Quick fixes get you on the up and down roller coaster. Been there, done that. Hell, we may be doing it right now, but trading up for Sanchez and Revis aren't the proof of that.

We may be fighting about nothing. I'm not in love with Tannenbaum. I think the team seems to be headed in the right direction, but the guy may get too much credit around here. I wasn't in love with Mangini either, but I'll fight the people that loved him 2 years ago and bash him now.

i don't see a need for them to give away many picks in the future now anyway. they moved up and got themselves a potential franchise qb. hopefully sanchez is the real deal. for the next 3 years you give sanchez his chance to prove it while you fortify the rest of the team around him. there really shouldn't be a reason to trade away anymore draft picks......we will have a decent first round pick this year anyway.

I wanted nothing to do with Vernon Gholston pre draft, but we picked him. Its hard to argue the pick because everyone else was a reach and his measurement were through the roof.

Now that he is here, I want him to be the next Suggs. From all accounts by Rex Ryan, he is coming along. That said, I am still holding out opinion until he gets some real time action. Apparently he did a good job from an assignment stand point on Friday. Hopefully if he keeps doing whats asked of him, he will break free a couple of times and get to chase down the QB.

I dont know what it is with Jets fans, but its like they want to see us pick busts. People love to be right and in this situation, I'm hoping I was dead wrong.

I wanted nothing to do with Vernon Gholston pre draft, but we picked him. Its hard to argue the pick because everyone else was a reach and his measurement were through the roof.

Now that he is here, I want him to be the next Suggs. From all accounts by Rex Ryan, he is coming along. That said, I am still holding out opinion until he gets some real time action. Apparently he did a good job from an assignment stand point on Friday. Hopefully if he keeps doing whats asked of him, he will break free a couple of times and get to chase down the QB.

I dont know what it is with Jets fans, but its like they want to see us pick busts. People love to be right and in this situation, I'm hoping I was dead wrong.

Well said. This is the source of my anger at the situation. Some Jets fans seem to be giddy at the prospect of this guy busting out and that makes no sense to me.

Because that would mean they could jump up and down and scream "I was right, he sucks". Like the poster above you said, people love to be right and I'll add that some people also love to be able to tell people they're right.

If VG keeps playing the way he has he will take over for Blair Thomas. Thomas at least made the field.

And worse then Roger Vick (who was the dumbest choice ever by the Jets).

Mick, you know you're my boy but you are now the number one reason I want Gholston to be good.

This kid turns out to be something I am gonna abuse the living **** out of you.

And oh by the way, no one in this league has signed Matt Jones, gee, I wonder why? :confused0006:

Well said. This is the source of my anger at the situation. Some Jets fans seem to be giddy at the prospect of this guy busting out and that makes no sense to me.

Kind of like you if we picked up Matt Jones.

Anyway, I would love to be wrong and see VG turn into a pro bowler, **** I'd be happy if turned out to be a starter. My point as well as others (I'm guessing for them) is he just flat out sucks and there's no other way around it. I try being realistic about any player no matter what team he is on.

VG has shown nothing and doesn't deserve any praise from anyone especially the fans that are paying his outrageous salary.

Mick, you know you're my boy but you are now the number one reason I want Gholston to be good.

This kid turns out to be something I am gonna abuse the living **** out of you.

And oh by the way, no one in this league has signed Matt Jones, gee, I wonder why? :confused0006:

As I said I will gladly say hey I was wrong, I have no problem saying that especially if it means a player, coach or team in general is better.

I was guessing they're waiting to see if he is going to be suspended if not them he is such a **** up as you have stated 1000 times that no one will take him. But I still think we should have at least taken a chance considering what we have at WR but that's been talked to death already.

Archived