Country Song (guitar)

drago

So i'm trying to write a country song (i generally go with learning rock stuff but have become inspired!).

What is the general key people use? I think it is E but the only notes i know in that key are based on Blues, so E, A and B...what are the rest?

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, just trying to branch out on the music front a bit.

So i'm trying to write a country song (i generally go with learning rock stuff but have become inspired!).

What is the general key people use? I think it is E but the only notes i know in that key are based on Blues, so E, A and B...what are the rest?

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, just trying to branch out on the music front a bit.

As a guitar and 5-string banjo player, a large number of country/bluegrass songs reside in the key of "G".

are there a main set of chords...i know blues tends to center around the same set...?

As does rock, soul, or country. Many times they're almost identical in their chord progressions. Especially with all the crossover stuff being done today. I suggest just being yourself, and write what you feel. Both lyrically and musically.

Funny you say that about rock and the others. Most of my favorite George Harrison songs are all the same chords and sometimes in the exact same progression (while my guitar gently weeps and I Need You).

I guess there are only eight notes, so what can i really expect? :lol:

I guess there are only eight notes, so what can i really expect? :lol:

There are 12 notes in western instruments.

In Asian music they have some in-between notes, so there's more than 12.

Anyway 12 notes is plenty.

I recall some math guy calculating all the possible combinations in music. This was in the 70s. He boldly predicted that by 1980 (or something) that all possibilites would be exhausted and new music would no longer be possible.

I think he missed something.

:cool:

There are 12 notes in western instruments.

In Asian music they have some in-between notes, so there's more than 12.

Anyway 12 notes is plenty.

I recall some math guy calculating all the possible combinations in music. This was in the 70s. He boldly predicted that by 1980 (or something) that all possibilites would be exhausted and new music would no longer be possible.

I think he missed something.

:cool:

he was off by 20 years Doug-I haven't heard very many songs worth remembering since around 2000

Archived