Skydiver survives 10,000ft fall to the ground

SoFlaJets

Paul Lewis, 40, jumped from a plane and plummeted through the air before crashing on to the roof of a hangar at Tilstock Airfield in Whitchurch, Shropshire.

He was rescued by firefighters and treated for head and neck injuries, before being airlifted to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, in Stoke-on-Trent.

The accident happened at around 3pm on Friday when Mr Lewis, a freelance cameraman, was filming tandem jumps for the Parachute Centre, a skydiving firm based at the airfield.

Witnesses said that his main parachute failed to open, and then his reserve parachute failed to work properly.

A spokesman for the West Midlands Ambulance Service, said:

The person to have fallen the greatest distance without a parachute, and survived, is Vesna Vulović, a Serbian air hostess who fell 33,000ft after her JAT airliner was blown up in January 1972.

The 22-year-old landed in snow in the former Czechoslovakia.

This is the most impressive part of the article IMO

Total height is irrelevant. What matters is what position their bodies are in and what surface they land on when they hit. It's not as if the person who jumps from 33,000 feet hits the ground at a higher velocity than one who jumps from 3,000 feet. Terminal velocity is reached from either height.

The Almighty has a plan for Mr Lewis

I hope so, but it seems like these people are usually hit by a bus within weeks of the incident.

Now that I think about it a bit...in the history of parachuting, has a reserve parachute EVER opened? I think I'd rather take off in the space shuttle, in my underpants, with a can of gasoline in my lap, and a lit cigarrette...than trust a reserve parachute.

Archived