Source: If team signs Plaxico , NFL would suspend him for at least half a season

Jetfan13

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports I've heard from sources that if any team wants to sign him, Goodell will suspend Burress for the first eight games of this season at a minimum, and potentially for the entire 2009 season. The law and order commissioner is not going to take it easy on Burress.

Presumably, any team interested in signing Burress will first call the commissioner's office to determine if he's going to suspend him. They have the right to know if he will be available before bringing him in. As of the middle of last week, Goodell had yet to meet with Burress and no team had called the league office to get a feel for what Goodell will do

Gotta wonder about the mystery from the commissioners office when it comes to these suspensions. I don't think Vick has been fully reinstated yet, and his suspension has been described as "up to" the first six weeks of the season... ?

You'd think Goodell would be more straight-forward, unless his motivation is to discourage franchises from signing players he sees as detrimental to the league in the first place. I'm starting to think that's the case. Who's going to sign Plaxico without knowing what his punishment is going to be from the get go.

And a question for the cap people: When a player is suspended without pay, does that pay still count against his team's cap?

I believe Plax should be suspended, but this is ridiculous.

Goodell shouldn't wait until Plax is signed because teams don't want to sign Plax for fear of what Goodell will do. The Commish should just suspend him now.

I believe Plax should be suspended, but this is ridiculous.

Goodell shouldn't wait until Plax is signed because teams don't want to sign Plax for fear of what Goodell will do. The Commish should just suspend him now.

Goodell seems to be loss. Sorta like a 5 year old trying to water a flower garden with a firehouse.

Goodell is absolutely terrible. This guy has no clue what he is doing. I honestly think he comes up with some ideas and then throws them in a hat and which ever one he pulls out of the hat he implements the next day.

Seriously, the guy is F'ing terrible.

Goodell is absolutely terrible. This guy has no clue what he is doing. I honestly think he comes up with some ideas and then throws them in a hat and which ever one he pulls out of the hat he implements the next day.

It's not Goodell's fault. He represents the owners, and the whole point of the personal conduct policy is to help ensure that the owners get the best possible deal on revenue sharing under the next CBA. This is the union's fault.

Goodell is a good commissioner. Look at the #'s and you'll see his tough policy is indeed working. Arrests are down to almost nonexistent in the league. I have no problem with his harshness.

It's not Goodell's fault. He represents the owners, and the whole point of the personal conduct policy is to help ensure that the owners get the best possible deal on revenue sharing under the next CBA. This is the union's fault.

There is no consistency...he is all over the place. But this could give an explination of why.

Goodell is a good commissioner. Look at the #'s and you'll see his tough policy is indeed working. Arrests are down to almost nonexistent in the league. I have no problem with his harshness.

HUH??? You cant be serious...nonexistent???

There is no consistency...he is all over the place. But this could give an explination of why.

HUH??? You cant be serious...nonexistent???

Goddell is an a@@clown. This "new sherrif in town" act is old already. Newsflash: this is the NFL, not Superior Court.

Archived