Ellis Officially Suspended for Week 1

Bleedin Green

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4404267

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis has been suspended without pay for the team's regular-season opener and fined $100,000 by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The 31-year-old Ellis was arrested in November and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding and driving without insurance after being pulled over by police in Hanover, N.J., a few miles from the team's training facility in Florham Park.

Ellis' suspension means the Jets will be without two defensive starters for their season opener at Houston on Sept. 13. Linebacker Calvin Pace was suspended in July for four games without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Well the rumors have been going on for a little while now, so we can't be all that surprised, but with both Ellis and Pace out, week one is going to be a tough outing for the defense. Let's hope Gholston and DeVito can do enough to help keep the defense at a high enough level against a pretty good Texans offense.

$100,000 fine!?!?!?!?

Let me get this straight, Bill Belichick cheats for eight years and gets a $500,000 fine and no suspension, Shaun Ellis gets caught with a joint and gets a $100,000 fine and suspended for a game?

No, there's no double standard at work in the commisioner's conduct policy. Smoking weed damages the league's credibility so much more than fixing games. :rolleyes:

$100,000 fine!?!?!?!?

Let me get this straight, Bill Belichick cheats for eight years and gets a $500,000 fine and no suspension, Shaun Ellis gets caught with a joint and gets a $100,000 fine and suspended for a game?

No, there's no double standard at work in the commisioner's conduct policy. Smoking weed damages the league's credibility so much more than fixing games. :rolleyes:

That is a tad ridiculous. Just a tad. I hope that $100,000 joint got him extra baked. That is way to harsh though, from a money standpoint.

Big loss. I think Ellis is under rated by many and has been a key consistent player for us for a while. We'll need all the help we can up front with Slaton and that offense in week 1 on the road.

Completely agree. He's started getting a lot of crap from people since he stopped getting 10+ sack seasons, but he's certainly been one of the Jets defensive plays all along. At least in this case its only one game and both Mangini and now Ryan seem to be real high on DeVito, so the kid will certainly be given his chance to shine that week.

Its not like it would be a bad thing if he succeeded to the point to get a heavier involvement in the rotation or perhaps eventually start in place of Douglas. But even if he does play well, the other problem is who will be backing up Douglas and DeVito for that game.

Completely agree. He's started getting a lot of crap from people since he stopped getting 10+ sack seasons, but he's certainly been one of the Jets defensive plays all along. At least in this case its only one game and both Mangini and now Ryan seem to be real high on DeVito, so the kid will certainly be given his chance to shine that week.

Its not like it would be a bad thing if he succeeded to the point to get a heavier involvement in the rotation or perhaps eventually start in place of Douglas. But even if he does play well, the other problem is who will be backing up Douglas and DeVito for that game.

The depth at that position has always been a concern and to be honest I didn't notice DeVito enough to make a judgement on him, but we're talking about 3rd string guys coming into the regular rotation for a game. You know if you're an offensive coordinator and you see that guy on the field your licking your chops to run Slaton right at him.

Big loss. I think Ellis is under rated by many and has been a key consistent player for us for a while. We'll need all the help we can up front with Slaton and that offense in week 1 on the road.

+ 1

$100,000 fine!?!?!?!?

+ 1

If we win week 1 I will be shocked. If the defense plays well without ellis and pace then I expect a big year for the unit when they get back.

But I dont expect a win week one unfortuneatly..

+ 1

Based on this and the Pace suspension, I really wouldn't be surprised if we use more 4-3 looks than usual for this game. This would allow Gholston/Thomas/Westermann/Murrell combination to join the rotation (since they are way too small to play defensive end in a pure 3-4).

This isn't the most ideal solution, but hopefully is enough to keep everybody fresh.

I had forgotten what Ellis had been charged with and I checked out Boone's blog. Good grief Ellis was an idiot.

Ellis' suspension stems from his Nov. 29 arrest, when he was pulled over in I-287 near the Jets' practice facility in Florham Park, N.J. and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, speeding, failure to keep right, driving without insurance and failure to produce a valid registration card.

Link

The depth at that position has always been a concern and to be honest I didn't notice DeVito enough to make a judgement on him, but we're talking about 3rd string guys coming into the regular rotation for a game. You know if you're an offensive coordinator and you see that guy on the field your licking your chops to run Slaton right at him.

Well, Gholston should be right behind him to put a quick stop to that.

I wasn't sure how I felt about this most recent piece of Ellis news, and then I saw JiF's "+1" posts. Rich and compelling, and it clearly put things in perspective. I think we're all better people after being provided with such insight.

LOL

The first response to this news was me and it was somewhat insightful. Then 3 brilliant posters made points that I agreed with...so I figured I would let them know about my feelings.

You know if you're an offensive coordinator and you see that guy on the field your licking your chops to run Slaton right at him.

If I'm an offensive coordinator licking my chops to run Slaton right at anything I hope I've got a good backup plan for when football doesn't work out.

See, this is where I was originally confused the most with this story: Ellis is married, isn't this what wives are for? Renewing registration, insurance...etc.

Exactly.

Mrs. Ellis: "Honey, how could you be so dumb and drive with marijuana stuff in our car?"

Ellis: "Forget that. Why in the **** didn't you renew the registration and insurance?"

LMFAO F^ck Goodell.

$100,000 for smoking a little pot? How much did Santonio Holmes get fined? Oh wait didnt the Steelers punish him on their own with no interferance from the league? But Ellis gets fined $400,000 less than what Belicheck got fined for cheating?

OKKKKKKKKK

LMFAO F^ck Goodell.

$100,000 for smoking a little pot? How much did Santonio Holmes get fined? Oh wait didnt the Steelers punish him on their own with no interferance from the league? But Ellis gets fined $400,000 less than what Belicheck got fined for cheating?

OKKKKKKKKK

I actually think that is WHY he got suspended DLJ. Mangini did nothing to him.

See, this is where I was originally confused the most with this story: Ellis is married, isn't this what wives are for? Renewing registration, insurance...etc.

Oh yeah thats all wives are good for, doing their husbands bidding. Why didnt you run the gamut of misogynistic stereotypes, why stop there? Shouldve added a sandwich joke or two. :rolleyes:

Maybe she has her own ****ing hustle, her own job and life to worry about, you ever thought about that?

I actually think that is WHY he got suspended DLJ. Mangini did nothing to him.

Meh, didnt the JETS send out a press release saying they would deal with it internally? The Steelers said the same thing. But Goodell didnt fine or suspend Holmes, but he fines and suspends Ellis? Fines him $100,000 for a little ass dime bag of weed? Please. This is bull****.

Meh, didnt the JETS send out a press release saying they would deal with it internally? The Steelers said the same thing. But Goodell didnt fine or suspend Holmes, but he fines and suspends Ellis? Fines him $100,000 for a little ass dime bag of weed? Please. This is bull****.

They benched him for a game.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2008/10/steelers-to-deactivate-holmes.html

All that was said was that Tanny and Mangini "spoke with Ellis."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/05/jets.ap/index.html

Well allow me to give another F^CK YOU to Mangini. He's in Cleveland now but still ****ing with us.

LMFAO F^ck Goodell.

OKKKKKKKKK

That's how they operate. Swift and immediate punishment. I think he lost a game check as well. I thught ALL teams did that, no?

Archived