NFLPA Advises Players About Potential 2011 Lockout - Yahoo

Why would anyone, especially the owners, want this? The bottom line is football has taken over as by far the #1 biggest sport in this country and a lockout would be one of the most moronic things the NFL could do. All that crap ever does is piss off the fan base who frankly don't want to hear a bunch of millions cry about money, be it the owners or the players. It'll hurt their business long term and I just can't see any slightly logical reason behind considering this move. Bottom line, both sides need to shut up and get a deal done.

All of these actions lately have been coming from the NFLPA, or in better terms - The NFLAA (NFL Agents Association).

Agents get their biggest piece of the poke through the draft each year based on initial signing bonuses. Should the actual NFLPA members agree to a rookie salary cap, the Agents would lose millions in potential revenue.

They can not make as much when a veteran restructures or resigns his contract. Even if it is for more money, which it will be when a cap is in place.

Especially with this example of the commitment by the NFLPA:

Smith balked at the suggestion of a rookie cap, something Colts president Bill Polian and others contend would make pay more equitable between unproven newcomers and proven veterans.

Smith suggested that is unnecessary unless the owners make a concession.

This is very hard for me to say this time - The NFL owners may be right in a lockdown in 2011!

You couldnt be more wrong. The NFL owners make freekin BOATLOADS of $$$. The NFL is a cash cow.

Players leave the league and spend the rest of their lives having trouble getting out of bed.

Its a collision sport where guys careers can easily end or be forever changed in one play.

The owners are scumbags - see their treatment of older players from the 60s and 70s. Those guys laid the groundwork for what the NFL is today and they are treated like garbage.

Owners complain that 60% of revenues go to the players....that should be the case if not more.

This is very hard for me to say this time - The NFL owners may be right in a lockdown in 2011!

You couldnt be more wrong. The NFL owners make freekin BOATLOADS of $$$. The NFL is a cash cow.

Players leave the league and spend the rest of their lives having trouble getting out of bed.

Its a collision sport where guys careers can easily end or be forever changed in one play.

The owners are scumbags - see their treatment of older players from the 60s and 70s. Those guys laid the groundwork for what the NFL is today and they are treated like garbage.

Owners complain that 60% of revenues go to the players....that should be the case if not more.

I'm all for a rookie cap. I don't know what the other issues are.

Archived