My wife's friend and co-worker was killed yesterday

Jet Moses

Wow, just like that... you wake up in the morning... go to work... and then you are dead. Sometimes I wonder is it all worth it

Woman hit, killed by truck on Bergenline

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 By MICHAELANGELO CONTE

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

UNION CITY - A West New York woman who worked for the Hudson County Department of Family Services for nearly 27 years was killed when she was struck by a truck while crossing a city street yesterday morning.

"We are saddened at the passing of a long-serving member of our county family," said Hudson County spokesman Jim Kennelly of the death of Donna Holoduek, 49. "Our heart goes out to Donna's family over this terrible loss. She is going to be missed."

At about 7:30 a.m. yesterday, Holoduek was struck at 48th Street by a truck traveling southbound on Bergenline Avenue, Union City police said.

She had apparently walked out between two parked vehicles before being struck as she entered the roadway, police said.

Emergency medical technicians "made heroic attempts at the scene" to resuscitate Holoduek, but she was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the Jersey City Medical Center, police said.

The truck that struck Holoduek was driven by Eduardo Alvarez of West New York, police said, adding that Alvarez has not been charged with any criminal or motor vehicle violations and none are contemplated at this time. The investigation is, however, ongoing, police said.

Holoduek began working for the county Department of Family Services in November 1982. She was a supervisor in the Hudson County Division of Welfare. The Division of Welfare provides general assistance, food stamps and other type of assistance to the county's neediest.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/unioncity/index.ssf?/base/news-0/125057672951500.xml&coll=3

30613035303230373461363962613530?_RM_EMPTY_&NULL

Thanks all. I didn't really know Donna, I may have met her once. My wife was close with her. She talked about Donna quite a bit at the dinner table and stuff like that. It's really sad and depressing. I know what those county workers at the welfare office go through. She did it for 27 years and so close to retirement.

Damn.

Thanks all. I didn't really know Donna, I may have met her once....
I go through this at work all of the time. I work for a foot surgeon and her specialty is diabetes. I meet someone once, and just because I saw them, met them, touched their hand, it affects me very personally when they die. Everyone matters, JetMo, which I suppose is the true point of your thread. I'm really sorry.

Archived