Ratliff still 3rd string.....

Steveg

Browns head coach Eric Mangini insisted that QBs Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn were on even footing early in training camp, and the club even went so far as to separate the two quarterbacks' names with a slash on its first depth chart.

"I was trying to avoid all the questions," Mangini told Browns reporters. "If I put a name there, then he's the starter. Nothing has really changed."

Quinn likely helped his case to be the Week One starter with his play in Cleveland's first preseason game vs. Green Bay on Aug. 15. Quinn, who earned the starting nod from Mangini, completed 7-of-11 passes for 68 yards and had a TD pass dropped by WR Braylon Edwards. Quinn was intercepted on the next play for his only turnover of the game.

Meanwhile, Anderson played only two series, and one of his two pass attempts was intercepted. At presstime, Mangini had not named a starter for the Aug. 22 preseason game vs. Detroit. According to The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer, Mangini said he would "look at how many reps they both end up getting and see how the week goes" before making a decision on whom would start.

The favorite to win the third-string QB job, Brett Ratliff, is not regarded as a serious contender for the starting job at this point, a source close to the club notes. However, Ratliff, who threw a pair of interceptions in the preseason opener, has gotten a little work with the first-team offense in two-minute situations and has fared well. The 24-year-old Ratliff, who was on the Jets' roster last season and was acquired by the Browns on Draft Day, has never thrown an NFL pass, but Mangini likes his progress.

"I saw a lot of growth (in Ratliff), actually, even last year," Mangini said. "In the conditioning run last year and training camp, where he wanted to know what he had to do to make the next jump, to just not be, sort of, in the second tier.

"We talked a lot about that, and I've seen a lot of the things that we've talked about. I like his presence in the pocket. He sits in there. He's calm. He has a nice, calm presence in the huddle, as well."

From PFW - http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/08/14/browns-qb-picture-still-murky

Ratliff was never going to be anything other than 3rd string until they get rid of Anderson, and then he'll be the backup.

At LOL at Edwards. Drops killed him last year and now he's back in midseason form dropping more passes. Cue Sperm Edwards.

Archived