Rex Ryan: "I like Tom Brady" lol

Sperm Edwards

The video is on nfl.com. Don't know how great of a head coach he'll be until we see some real games, but he's a funny dude.

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan continues to entertain, this time mocking his own comments

by Dave Hutchinson

Wednesday August 19, 2009, 12:15 PM

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Jets coach Rex Ryan's entertaining press conferences continued Wednesday, when he mocked his own statements about the Patriots.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Jets coach Rex Ryan, taking the fallout from his thinly-veiled swipe at Patriots coach Bill Belichick on Tuesday in stride, opened his daily press conference this morning mockingly reading from a script.

"Hello everybody," he began, eyeing a piece of paper on a clipboard placed on the podium. "I like Tom Brady. I like (linebacker) Adalius Thomas. I really do."

Afterwards, Ryan looked over to PR director Bruce Speight and said, ``Anything else?''

``No, coach,'' Speight said.

Man, you have to love this guy's sense of humor.

Later in the news conference, I tried to get him to bite on dissing the Houston Texans, the Jets' regular season-opening opponent, but he wouldn't. He joked that he wasn't about to pick a fight with Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson as he did with Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder.

Despite all the attention Ryan is grabbing, the Jets did practice Wednesday morning and here are a few tibits and notes:

-- Both quarterbacks were sharp Wednesday morning. Rookie Mark Sanchez hit 6 of 9 passes with two "sacks" and a drop in 11-on-11 drills full-pad drills while working with the first team. Kellen Clemens completed 5 of 8 passes with a ``sack.'' He hit wide receiver Marcus Henry in stride on a gorgeous post pattern.

"Both of them looked great at times," said Ryan. "It's almost status quo." ...

In the afternoon, both quarterbacks saw their first pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

Sanchez hit 1 of 3 passes with an interception, and Clemens connected on 2 of 3 with a ``sack'' and an interception.

-- Cornerback Donald Strickland is out against the Ravens with a broken toe on his right foot. He's wearing a walking boot. Ryan said he probably would've played if it were a regular season game.

-- Center Nick Mangold (knee) practiced full with the first-unit and will start against the Ravens.

-- Cornerback Darrelle Revis (hamstring) had on his pads early in practice but later took them off and just watched.

-- Right tackle Damien Woody (mild concussion) did work on the sidelines with the training staff on the side for the first time. His status for the Ravens game is unknown.

-- Defensive tackle Kris Jenkins (calf) was limited and is unlikely to play against the Ravens.

-- Defensive end Mike DeVito is negotiating a new contract with the team, said Ryan. ... The Jets signed rookie free agent S Nate Ness, who was cut by Cleveland last month. ... Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer returned today after missing the past day and a half to attend the funeral of Saints QB Drew Brees' mother. The pair where together in San Diego.

-- Ryan called quarterback Erik Ainge a "Super No. 3 quarterback."

How was he questioning BB's motivational methods?

Yeah, I havent seen him do that either. In fact, I havent seen him question anyone, he is just reiterating that he is not intimidated by BB or scared to give him "bulletin board" material.

I never understood that to begin with, if need to get motivated by someone else trash talking then you must not want to be a winner. I mean, I understand that is a little extra incentive but it shouldn't be the catalyst of a great performance.

How was he questioning BB's motivational methods?

In the story prior to this one he made some comment about if the Patriots were using this for motivation that the Jets would probably kick their a$$es or someting along those lines.

I never understood that to begin with, if need to get motivated by someone else trash talking then you must not want to be a winner. I mean, I understand that is a little extra incentive but it shouldn't be the catalyst of a great performance.

I used to think that too. Thought it was for high school football. It seems that pretty much every NFL coach uses it too.

Oh Rex. Its not even funny anymore.

Why does Rex question Belichicks motivational methods when they have been so successful?

Uh, because losers never cheat and cheaters never win? :P

I like a little bravado in the right way, but I do agree he should just shut his yap now and bring it when it counts. We'll see.

Only in PR37's mind. :biggrin:

failure.jpg

Its been well documented for those who follow football.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is notorious for having assistants search the internet for quotes and then using them as motivation for his players.

"How much motivation are they going to get by putting a quote from me on the wall saying that I believe in my football team. That I'm not going to be intimidated by a coach or anyone else. If that's where you're going to draw motivation from, hell, we'll probably kick your (butt). I mean if that's the case."

No Rex. Youre butt will get kicked. 1 losing season in 8 years. Its seems Belichicks methods kinda work :rolleyes:

...No Rex. Youre butt will get kicked. 1 losing season in 8 years. Its seems Belichicks methods kinda work :rolleyes:
Cheat *caugh*, cheat *caugh*, cheat *caugh*. Now I hate the Giants, but why did the Cheats lose? Because they got beaten fair and square and couldn't cheat.

Otra vez and repeat after me! Cheat *caugh*, cheat *caugh*, cheat *caugh*...

Edited by jetophile

Its been well documented for those who follow football.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is notorious for having assistants search the internet for quotes and then using them as motivation for his players.

"How much motivation are they going to get by putting a quote from me on the wall saying that I believe in my football team. That I'm not going to be intimidated by a coach or anyone else. If that's where you're going to draw motivation from, hell, we'll probably kick your (butt). I mean if that's the case."

No Rex. Youre butt will get kicked. 1 losing season in 8 years. Its seems Belichicks methods kinda work :rolleyes:

I think he's saying they draw their motivation in other ways. He thinks BB is a better HC than reaching for the ring-kissing remark as the players' motivations to win a game. As though the team would have no motivation to win a divisional game, but for Ryan saying he didn't come here to kiss BB's rings.

If you seriously think it meant otherwise, we've all overestimated you. I mean, Alk we all know is a hopeless clown. But we're used to it. He's like a mascot and it's kind of cute. But we can have two JN mascots I guess. This isn't The Highlander.

I think he's saying they draw their motivation in other ways. He thinks BB is a better HC than reaching for the ring-kissing remark as the players' motivations to win a game. As though the team would have no motivation to win a divisional game, but for Ryan saying he didn't come here to kiss BB's rings.

If you seriously think it meant otherwise, we've all overestimated you. I mean, Alk we all know is a hopeless clown. But we're used to it. He's like a mascot and it's kind of cute. But we can have two JN mascots I guess. This isn't The Highlander.

I'd like it to be noted for the record that I NEVER overestimated PR37.

The more I hear him talk, the more I tend to think this season will be a disaster.

Talk is cheap.

OK, that makes no sense. Do you want him to just be a boring jagoff in his press conferences like BB or Mangini?

The guy is just being himself. Who gives a **** if a couple of reporters and idiots like PR37 make a big deal out of a guy joking around?

OK, that makes no sense. Do you want him to just be a boring jagoff in his press conferences like BB or Mangini?

The guy is just being himself. Who gives a **** if a couple of reporters and idiots like PR37 make a big deal out of a guy joking around?

I don't mind it, but it's everyday. I'm just tried of 'sound bites' and you haven't coached one game yet. It was cool the first couple of times, but it seems like it's every time a mic is in front of him, he should just say 'I'm here to talk about the Jets, the team I'm coaching.' You don't have to be boring, but I don't see other coaches talking sh!t every chance they get. Maybe he'll calm down after this year.

I don't mind it, but it's everyday. I'm just tried of 'sound bites' and you haven't coached one game yet. It was cool the first couple of times, but it seems like it's every time a mic is in front of him, he should just say 'I'm here to talk about the Jets, the team I'm coaching.' You don't have to be boring, but I don't see other coaches talking sh!t every chance they get. Maybe he'll calm down after this year.

It's his job to answer questions every day. If he said "I'm just here to talk about the Jets" when asked these questions, everybody here would accuse him of trying to be like Belichick.

He's answering questions honestly and not really saying anything that is controversial. It's just funny. The media and a handful of fans are trying to create a controversy that doesn't really exist.

The more I hear him talk, the more I tend to think this season will be a disaster.

Talk is cheap.

He is doing what Woody is paying him to do. Keep the Jets on the back page of the Post and Daily News.

Woody Johnson cares more about getting the Jets in the news then he does about winning. That is why he signed Favre, that is why he hired Rex and that is why they drafted Sanchez. Jets won't win as many games as the Giants but they will get more ink in the press.

He is doing what Woody is paying him to do. Keep the Jets on the back page of the Post and Daily News.

Woody Johnson cares more about getting the Jets in the news then he does about winning. That is why he signed Favre, that is why he hired Rex and that is why they drafted Sanchez. Jets won't win as many games as the Giants but they will get more ink in the press.

Cheaters says what?

I hope he is enjoying his preseason fun...he will not be so funny if the Jets start out 1-3

Dude you nailed it. The media is just too much. Hey are loving Rex, loving his press conferences. But the honeymoon will be over after a slow start, no doubt about it.

Rex is going to attack them (media) once they start blasting him. Then I will enjoy his quotes.