All Jaguars Home Games WILL Be Blacked Out Locally

And we thought we were doing bad.

Jags expecting ten blackouts in 2009

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2009 7:47 AM ET

Though we somehow missed the official declaration of box-office surrender, Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union points out that the Jaguars have announced that all 10 games played at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium in 2009 will -- not might, will -- be blacked out locally.

Stellino also says that the venue might be only half filled on Saturday night, for the preseason home opener against the Buccaneers.

"We certainly appreciate those that can make it, because when they're here, they're loud and very supportive," coach Jack Del Rio said. "I know it's hard times. We're going to entertain the ones that get here and put on a good show."

The bigger question is whether and to what extent this dynamic will play out in other cities. The Chargers have acknowledged concerns regarding blackouts on their official web site; we've heard that the league fears there could be more than a dozen teams facing challenges in this regard.

How does Mike Florio know for a fact that they will all be blacked out?

I'm pretty sure the blackouts can be lifted. Living is Jax, I'm not fan of the team, but it would really be a terrible thing for this city to lose that team.

Why does everyone have to bash on Mike Florio? It says clearly in the article that one of the Jaguars beat writers is reporting this.

Why does everyone have to bash on Mike Florio? It says clearly in the article that one of the Jaguars beat writers is reporting this.

Did I bash him?

Since he is reporting this I asked the question. If it was posted by a "Jags beat writer"...I would have said...

How does this "Jags beat writer" know this for a fact? I'm pretty sure blackouts can be lifted.

Did I bash him?

Since he is reporting this I asked the question. If it was posted by a "Jags beat writer"...I would have said...

How does this "Jags beat writer" know this for a fact? I'm pretty sure blackouts can be lifted.

It was originally reported by the Jacksonville beat writer, so yes, the beat writer is reporting this. Florio is just relaying this to a larger national media of fans. ;)

Jaguar fans have always been pathetic, can't wait until that franchise moves.

They have to tarp off sections in the Upper Tier every single year, with or without blackouts!

Did I bash him?

They can.

What are the chances of this happening to the Jets this year or 2010?

Zero.

The Jets have yet to sell single game tickets.

Plus, the CBS NY affiliate would buy up any remaining tickets. CBS NY is the one that will lose out big with a blackout.

It was originally reported by the Jacksonville beat writer, so yes, the beat writer is reporting this. Florio is just relaying this to a larger national media of fans. ;)

They have to tarp off sections in the Upper Tier every single year, with or without blackouts!

Right, I never bashed him.

Its actually not that they are pathetic, its just this market is a college football market. The town is all UF, FSU and Georgia fans. Most of the town leaves Sat. for college campuses close by and they are burned out for the Jags. Plus, SEC Football tailgating is off the charts, so its a bigger better party then an NFL tailgate.

I must say, there are some ruthless die hard Jags fans. When I went to see the Jets get blown out there, me and my brothers almost got in a fight with an entire section because they wouldnt let us sit down...lol.

It would be a shame if this city lost that team.

That stadium has struggled to sell out for years.

Jaxs is a crappy sports town and a crap town all together.

That stadium has struggled to sell out for years.

Jaxs is a crappy sports town and a crap town all together.

Depends on where you live. Living at the beach isnt too crappy. Private balcony overlooking the ocean, surf and fish every day after work. Great weather, half naked women surround me daily. NFL team. 2 great college campuses within 2 hours. Orlando 2 hours. Miami 4 hours. Tampa 3. Savannah 2. Rivers, Creeks, Ocean, more state parks then any other city in the country.

yeah, Jax is a crappy town. :rolleyes:

blackouts are BS...why should the people who can't make it to the game suffer because theteam can't sell-out it's games. stupid.

That's why blackouts are local. The idea being that the locals could fill the stadium rather than sitting at home watching the game for free.

Archived