Red Sox Eye Billy Wagner

Otter

The Sox play something like their next 18 out of 25 at home, the race for the east is not over.

Yah it is. The Yankees will win the division and the wildcard team will be Tampa. There is no fire with the current Sox players, Francona is being TOO loyal to Veritek, Beckett has had two bad - really bad - outings, the hitting is inconsitent, Papelbon is mouthing off about about his displeasure at possibly signing Wagner, they are counting of Dice-K to save the rotation.

Does that sound like a real contender? :baby:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have some kind of list?

Was our 3 and 4 hitters ganked up or a few pitchers who play every 5 days? :baby:

We won in '77 too, and yes I remember!:Nuts:

What about the 20 others?

It means nothing in this arguement. You're the one who opened your trap about " in my lifetime".

LOL. Hanging your hat on Dice-K and Wakefield. This is rich.

Records don't matter plenty come playoff time? Really? News to me and everyone else. I was under the impression that the teams with the best records got into the playoffs. Apparently you are under the impression that the Sux just get a pass and are in. You're going to be rudely awakened.

Teams that play under .500 ball after the All Star break don't make the playoffs.

The Rangers and Rays will both finish ahead of the Sox in the AL overall standings.

:roll: Really ? I must have missed that in the rules book. :P

The Red Sox are paying the rest of Wagner salary for this year ($2 million).

Great move for the Mets. Still don't understand why the Red Sox want a 38 year old NL reliever coming off Tommy John surgery whose career ERA in the playoffs is 8.71. This trade has Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell written all over it.

Great move for the Mets. Still don't understand why the Red Sox want a 38 year old NL reliever coming off Tommy John surgery whose career ERA in the playoffs is 8.71. This trade has Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell written all over it.

Red Sox need another lefty out of the pen. Wagners looked great in his 2 outings this week. In fact he hasn't even given up a hit all year. :biggrin:

Theo Epstein has made a lot of head scratching moves this year. Wagner has "Smoltz' short career in a Boston uniform" written all over it. Plus, this will piss off Papelbon to no end. This could be fun. :)

Theo Epstein has made a lot of head scratching moves this year. Wagner has "Smoltz' short career in a Boston uniform" written all over it. Plus, this will piss off Papelbon to no end. This could be fun. :)

How will it piss off Papelbon ? Wagner will NOT be the closer this year and he'll be out of Boston as soon as the Red Sox wrap up the World Series.

How will it piss off Papelbon ? Wagner will NOT be the closer this year and he'll be out of Boston as soon as the Red Sox wrap up the World Series.

The idea of his coming to Boston had Pap's voicing his displeasure - now that's he's in Boston I can just imagine what Papelbon will say - or not say, per FO orders - but one can read between the lines and Papelbon isn't exactly the most articulate guy in the world. Plus, Paps may not be the closer next year either. ;)

I see somebody didn't read the entire quote.

LOL Far from it, much to the dismay of Yankee fans. :biggrin:

No dismay here. The Yankees can take the next month off.

The Yankees have 38 games left. Even if they play far below their current level and finish .500 in those games, they will be 97-65. The odds of them playing .500 ball the rest of the season are remote enough.

But even if that small liklihood occurs, that means the Sox would have to go 27-11 (.710) to win the division. .710 ball for a team that has played below .500 since the All Star break. No realistic person anywhere thinks that is going to happen.

Now, I acknowledge that Sox fans are collectively known as some of the most delusional people on the planet, but let's get real.

The division race is over. Forget about the Yankees. Worry about the Rays, because they're about to pass you in the standings in the next couple of weeks.

And I'm up by 4.

Want to count division titles, playoff appearances and pennants?

Didn't think so! :baby:

:rl: You're a joke. We WERE talking World Seies titles or did you forget. Where were you all of last year anyway bandwagoner ? Go back to the football forum where the trolls were pounding the piss out of you. :P

:rl: You're a joke. We WERE talking World Seies titles or did you forget. Where were you all of last year anyway bandwagoner ? Go back to the football forum where the trolls were pounding the piss out of you. :P
Yeah and you were giving me rep for it. Please you are the joke, rooting for the muts and the sux, and talking out of both sides of your ass.

Ask Max where I was, CLOWN!

I got you beat 6-2 you're not even close with either of your loser teams! :bag: "World Seies titles" as in 26 and counting.:rl:

Here's the World Series Record Book: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wsmenu.shtml

Read it and weep! :baby:

Yeah and you were giving me rep for it. Please you are the joke, rooting for the muts and the sux, and talking out of both sides of your ass.

I got you beat 6-2 you're not even close with either of your loser teams! :bag:

Here's the World Series Record Book: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wsmenu.shtml

Read it and weep! :baby:

You haven't won jack ****.

You just happen to root for a team that has won.

The Mets are not getting any prospects of significance. One is going to be 26 year old Chris Carter and the other has yet to be found. They'll bring in Wgner as a situational lefty and maybe to set up to give Oki a break. If he doesn't pan out, they won't be on the hook for him next season and they might get a pick or two for him.

The signing of Wags just reiterates the Sawx have NO FAITH in Bard

The guy is young, but looks like he has peanuts for brains

What does bringing in a situational lefty have to do with Bard? It has more to do with not taxing Okajima. This statement is a HUGE stretch.

And so much for reiterating anything as Bard was brought in to pitching in a tight situation last night and succeeded. If they didn't have faith in him he'd be back in AAA and not pitching in important situations.

The Mets are not getting any prospects of significance. One is going to be 26 year old Chris Carter and the other has yet to be found. They'll bring in Wgner as a situational lefty and maybe to set up to give Oki a break. If he doesn't pan out, they won't be on the hook for him next season and they might get a pick or two for him.

Thanks for the info Carl. I figured the Red Sox wouldn't give up too good a prospect. They're basically only renting Wagner for 2+ months.

The signing of Wags just reiterates the Sawx have NO FAITH in Bard

The guy is young, but looks like he has peanuts for brains

Your statement makes no sense Jon. They need an additional lefty out of the pen. Bard, last time I checked, throws RIGHT handed. :biggrin:

Can we drop this topic, please? There's hardly anything lamer than a long thread in late August on a team destined for 3rd place. Might as well start an extensive conversation on the Seattle Mariners.

Who cares?:rolleyes:

There were plenty of threads about a team that didn't make the playoffs last year. People cared then.

Can we drop this topic, please? There's hardly anything lamer than a long thread in late August on a team destined for 3rd place. Might as well start an extensive conversation on the Seattle Mariners.

Who cares?:rolleyes:

Apparently you cared enough to post . :Nuts:

Archived