Got hit by a car this morning

Mavrik

was riding my bike down Leipziger Strasse in downtown Berlin on the way to work. Taxi driver was nice enough to open his door without so much as seeing whether anyone was coming in the bike lane next to him. Managed to get thrown off my bike, over his door and onto the ground. Luckily, I seem to be okay aside from a stiff back and a bruised hip. I was more thankful the macbook inside my backpack was okay.

Only thing more annoying than having to do police reports/talk to EMTs is trying to do it all in German.

was riding my bike down Leipziger Strasse in downtown Berlin on the way to work. Taxi driver was nice enough to open his door without so much as seeing whether anyone was coming in the bike lane next to him. Managed to get thrown off my bike, over his door and onto the ground. Luckily, I seem to be okay aside from a stiff back and a bruised hip. I was more thankful the macbook inside my backpack was okay.

Only thing more annoying than having to do police reports/talk to EMTs is trying to do it all in German.

The Germans in Berlin do not have a strong grasp of English? Interesting.

Glad you are ok man. Maybe you should gain some weight. Teach them ****ing car doors a thing or two.

Glad you're OK Mav. Did the taxi driver stay or did he bolt ?

Glad you are OK, welcome to club

i was hit by a car walking to school, after begging my parents for weeks...

they finally relented and i get hit my a car

this was when i was in first grade, and the walk was about 3/4 of a mile

My son was in a bball tournament in Haverhill Mass and i showed him

where i got hit.

Were you wearing a Helmut? ;)

Well at least you told the 3000 members of JN first, before your own family.

I'll be sure to call you at 3am your time next time. I'm fine dont worry about it.

Glad you're OK Mav. Did the taxi driver stay or did he bolt ?

No, luckily he called the Polizei and also the EMT.. didnt waste any time. i think he knew he f'ed up.

PFSIKH, The EMTs all knew a bit of English, but the Policeman I talked to only knew a bit..so the EMT ended up helping him out with some stuff. But I still had to answer a few questions in German. Not too bad though. I suppose it was good to put everything I learned to good use.

Thanks for hte well wishes everyone. Looks like I'll be taking off from playing soccer tomorrow.

I'll be sure to call you at 3am your time next time. I'm fine dont worry about it.

No, luckily he called the Polizei and also the EMT.. didnt waste any time. i think he knew he f'ed up.

PFSIKH, The EMTs all knew a bit of German, but the Policeman I talked to only knew a bit..so the EMT ended up helping him out with some stuff. But I still had to answer a few questions in German. Not too bad though. I suppose it was good to put everything I learned to good use.

Thanks for hte well wishes everyone. Looks like I'll be taking off from playing soccer tomorrow.

I would hope the German EMTs spoke German. :roll:

Question do you require to wear a helmet biking in Germany?

No..at least not in Berlin. And if there is, it's never enforced. Very few people around here wear helmets. The amount of people who are commuting by bike here has skyrocketed in the last few years, and I think the city is having a hard time keeping up. The other thing is, most of the people who do bike are pretty reckless. Weaving in and out of traffic. Running red lights. I stay pretty low-key when I ride, but stuff like car doors opening in front of me is not much I can control.

My girlfriend's father had almost the exact same situation I did in Orlando earlier this year. Someone opened a car door right as he passed. Only he hit his head and was knocked unconscious for about 4 minutes. Had a minor concussion but could have been alot worse.

I hate cyclists in New York. Those bastards are crazier than the taxis. Weave within lanes, don't stop at red lights, hop on sidewalks, etc. One guy that's constantly cycling around every day just starts riding in circles along the little walkway across the street in front of traffic when there's a red light. Bastard.

Kidding aside about the Macbook comment from earlier, glad to see you're okay.

Glad your ok Mav. I too am in the club with you and afosomf. I was crossing a side steet at the cross walk. This old man was approaching the stop sign, but was looking directly to his left to see if traffic was coming for him to turn right, all the while rolling right through the stop sign. He ended up hitting me and flipping me up on his hood. Funny thing is he KEPT GOING until I started slapping the **** out of his windshield to let him know I was nowe a fixture on his hood. I guess thre giant "kerthump" I made wasn't loud enough for his hearing aids. When he finally noticed me sprawled across the hood he slammed the brakes which of course sent me flying. Save a few tears on my jeans I was fine. He gave me $100 bill and we each went on our merry way. I was 18 at the time, so $100 got me alot of green goodness back then lol.

Glad your ok Mav. I too am in the club with you and afosomf.

Save a few tears on my jeans I was fine. He gave me $100 bill and we each went on our merry way. I was 18 at the time, so $100 got me alot of green goodness back then lol.

My mom is in that club, too. At 79, she was crossing the street and someone hit her. She lost the lower part of her left leg. It was so smashed they had to amputate. At her age, the recovery was much longer than with a younger person. She's glad to be alive (us too) but she's never been the same in how she feels and what she can do because of the initial trauma and then the prosthesis later on. As you all know, life can change in the blink of an eye. So be safe everyone and watch out for the *******s. :)

Glad your ok Mav. I too am in the club with you and afosomf. I was crossing a side steet at the cross walk. This old man was approaching the stop sign, but was looking directly to his left to see if traffic was coming for him to turn right, all the while rolling right through the stop sign. He ended up hitting me and flipping me up on his hood. Funny thing is he KEPT GOING until I started slapping the **** out of his windshield to let him know I was nowe a fixture on his hood. I guess thre giant "kerthump" I made wasn't loud enough for his hearing aids. When he finally noticed me sprawled across the hood he slammed the brakes which of course sent me flying. Save a few tears on my jeans I was fine. He gave me $100 bill and we each went on our merry way. I was 18 at the time, so $100 got me alot of green goodness back then lol.

Damn. I want $100 for a few tears in a pair of jeans.

Archived