Post Game Thoughts

jason423

Nice write-up as usual.

Serious question for you and anyone else, and try to answer unemotionally. Ignoring money and draft status, would Gholston make the team?

Honestly, I'm not confident he would.

I think he would be cut. He plays like a UDFA. Depending on what the Jets do with contract extensions and other cap related issues I could see the Jets making a move to dump him by December and just accepting they made an awful mistake. Hopefully he comes around, but the guy couldnt even do anything against the Ravens 2nd stringers tonight and the practice notes are almost all negative or neutral on him.

Nice write-up as usual.

Serious question for you and anyone else, and try to answer unemotionally. Ignoring money and draft status, would Gholston make the team?

Honestly, I'm not confident he would.

no-he's softer than anything I've ever seen drafted that high IN MY LIFE Erik-it's almost sad to see. He's worse than Johnny Mitchell and I thought THAT was bad. This guy should be the reason Tannenbaum gets fired-he BETTER bring in a big name WR

I don't disagree with the criticism of Gholston BUT I have to criticize Rex on something about him:

If Rex says he's the starter, why in the **** is Pace starting in these preseason games? Gholston will be taking Thomas' weakside and Thomas is sliding over to Pace's strong for the first 4 games.

Don't you think it's good to have them (Thomas & Gholston) in there starting at the moment?

It's a total waste IMO to have Pace playing out there. He's in shape and we know he's good, but he's not playing for a month so Gholston should be getting the reps.

I don't disagree with the criticism of Gholston BUT I have to criticize Rex on something about him:

If Rex says he's the starter, why in the **** is Pace starting in these preseason games? Gholston will be taking Thomas' weakside and Thomas is sliding over to Pace's strong for the first 4 games.

Don't you think it's good to have them (Thomas & Gholston) in there starting at the moment?

It's a total waste IMO to have Pace playing out there. He's in shape and we know he's good, but he's not playing for a month so Gholston should be getting the reps.

Well said.

Another criticism: he's not moving Gholston around AT ALL, when it's clear that lining him up to engage with blockers is a problem for him at this point (especially because Rex keeps putting him in as DE in a 3-man line, meaning he has to occupy 2 blockers at once--something guys 30 lbs. heaver than Gholston struggle with).

The one time he moved him, he stunted from the edge up the middle and helped rush a throw. Why aren't we seeing more of that?

That said: not a great game for Gholston (again), but also not quite as crappy as people are saying. He needs to be put in motion more, but even as a hand-in-the-dirt DE he had collapsed the pocket a few times, and was the direct cause of the Howard Green sack in the 2nd half (just as he was the direct cause of the David Harris sack last week).

I've been curious about that myself. All I can think of are two things. First is that Rex doesnt feel VG is ready for much anything and is more worried about week 5 and his guys having some experience with Pace from the preseason. The second is that Rex just doesnt get the preseason. He does seem to want to really win these games and specifically not be embarressed on defense. He knows putting Gholston in over Pace gives the chance for his defense to be embarressed and he can not deal with that. Id think the bigger picture is far more important, but I dont think that is the Jets concern right now. I've seen way more looks on both sides of the ball than I ever would expect for preseason.

Well, it is preseason and what we're seeing now will probably not be what they show during the season with anyone. Sure they send some blitzes here and there, but if Gholston needs work when he has his hand in the dirt, then having him do that now in the preseason is what needs to happen. Whatever he, or any other players need to work on, do it now when the games don't count.

Archived