Millwall-West Ham Fans Gone Wild

Otter

Mass violence mars London derby

A man has been stabbed in the chest during violence involving "hundreds" of fans outside West Ham's Upton Park stadium during a game with Millwall.

Fights broke out at 1800 BST and were still raging four hours later. A 44-year-old man is stable after being stabbed in Priory Road at 2025 BST.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said missiles had been thrown at officers but none were injured.

Inside Upton Park West Ham fans twice invaded the pitch.

The first invasion was after West Ham's equaliser, while the second more serious invasion happened after they scored a penalty.

It took officials about six minutes to clear about 50 people from the pitch and police had to redeploy within the stadium to tackle the invasion.

West Ham won the game 3-1 after extra time.

About 200 riot police and at least 20 mounted officers were at the ground and a police helicopter circled the area.

The Press Association quoted an unnamed 19-year-old saying he saw a police officer being kicked on the ground.

A spokesman added: "Hundreds of fans are estimated to be involved."

One pub reportedly had its windows broken by bricks during running battles across several streets up to half a mile from the stadium.

Eyewitnesses told of hooligans trying to rip out bollards and lighting "small fires".

Five arrests have been confirmed, including one for affray and one for breaching a banning order.

British Transport Police said they heard reports of minor overcrowding at Upton Park Tube station.

BBC radio reporter Ben Jacobs, who is at the stadium, said he had heard a second person had been stabbed, although police said they had no confirmation of this.

Describing how the violence erupted, Mr Jacobs said: "The trouble broke out outside the Tube station about 600 yards from the ground.

"There were 500 to 1,000 riot police and Millwall fans managed to break through the divide."

'Bloodied faces'

A 29-year-old man had to close his kebab shop in nearby Green Street for two hours.

He said: "All hell broke loose - it was very frightening.

"Bottles and bricks were being thrown from the back and some were hitting West Ham fans at the front.

"There were loads of people with bloodied faces."

Aaron Smith, from Hemel Hempstead, who was at the game, said: "I saw one man cornered by at least a dozen Millwall fans before kick-off. Terrifying scenes."

Another fan said: "I was in a throng walking up and a group of hooligans came for us.

"The police wanted to help but they were clearly afraid to use force. I am still shaking. I thought I was going to die."

Ben Newton, from Harrow, north London, said his father had been stretchered away after being hit with a dart to the head.

And a Millwall fan told the BBC: "It was like a war zone outside the stadium. There was fighting all round.

"I brought my kids with me tonight and they've seen some violence that is indescribable."

3k8jgz8K-Hw

I saw a documentary about 5 years ago on the "Mental Millwall", a bunch of thugs posing as soccer fans, whose sole purpose was to pummel opposing fans and destroy property. The leader was a guy who was 35 years old who did an interview with his two little girls sitting on his lap and seemed like a typical family guy. Major nutjob.

Archived