Sanchez still needs help

jetfuel

Sanchez still needs help

8:49AM ET

Mark Sanchez | Jets

Top Email

12482.jpg Apparently, the New York Post was right.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is reporting that New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan has informed his quarterbacks that Mark Sanchez has won the competition, and will be the team's starter for the 2009 season.

On one hand, Sanchez is positioned better than Matthew Stafford for a transition to the big leagues because he has a better offensive line, rushing game and defense to support him. On the other hand, while Stafford has Calvin Johnson, the Jets have, as of yet, failed to bring in any receiving help for their No. 5 pick.

We've been hearing over the past week that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is furiously trying to work out a trade, and maybe the announcement of Sanchez as the starter will push the GM harder to make something happen.

More on this to come.

I would say Stafford is in a better position to succeed, namely because he gets to throw the ball to Jesus Christ reincarnated as a 6 foot 5 black man.

If I were a rookie QB I'd rather have the solid oline and solid running game than the stud WR.

If I were a rookie QB I'd rather have the solid oline and solid running game than the stud WR.

Detroit does have a solid running game.

It's a lot easier to play QB when you can just throw the ball really high and far into the air and have a frothing Megatron beast catch it nine times out of ten.

Detroit does have a solid running game.

It's a lot easier to play QB when you can just throw the ball really high and far into the air and have a frothing Megatron beast catch it nine times out of ten.

That frothing Megatron beast is on my fantasy team :yes:. How the hell did you all let him slip to me at pick 19 again?

I'm torn on this issue. Marshall is a beast but how much will the Jets have to give up to get him, how big of a contract are they going to have to give him, and where is his head at? If it does not handcuff the team from adding further pieces and/or ruin next years draft I would be all for making the move to bring in a legit #1. But I'd almost rather have them go with Cotch, Clowney, and Stuckey and bring in a vet who gets cut soon as some quality WR's will be getting the ax.

It's criminal if we don't get the kid a WR. Criminal

What is really criminal, in my mind, was the combination of not having a WR and cutting Baker for financial reasons.

You can't have those 2 together. Baker would have been a good security blanket for Sanchez, protection wise and in the passing game. The Jets could have dealt with the lack of No. 1 WR by playing a bunch of 2 TE sets.

I was thinking professional malpractice.

Players should be able to see FO people and teams for malpractice. It would be hilarious.

Hilarious? I dunno, it's pretty depressing knowing that there's actually someone in Congress who'd be confident in presenting a statute along that guideline.

What is really criminal, in my mind, was the combination of not having a WR and cutting Baker for financial reasons.

You can't have those 2 together. Baker would have been a good security blanket for Sanchez, protection wise and in the passing game. The Jets could have dealt with the lack of No. 1 WR by playing a bunch of 2 TE sets.

Everyone said he was JAG but the thing is, having a JAG doesn't mean you don't keep him. It doesn't mean he's replaceable. You know who is a JAG? Jay Feeley. And I would go absolutely bonkers if they cut him. Not because he's so good, but because the other options are so bad.

Baker @ TE > Rookie college basketball player @ TE/Converted DE @ TE

Archived