Brian Schottenheimer: We can win with these receivers

jaspegs

With the chasm between the Broncos and Brandon Marshall widening by the minute, teams with perceived needs at wide receiver are being subjected to questions about trading for the suspended wideout.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, one of those fielding Marshall queries, took it as a chance to express his faith in the guys already on his roster.

"I think we can win with these guys," Schottenheimer said. "Everybody is going to look at our wide receivers and say that we don't have a big name. I still think and feel that Jerricho [Cotchery] is a big name. But I think we are going to have a really solid group and we're pretty deep. We are going to ask these guys to do things that they do very well. David Clowney is extremely fast. But if you turn on film and you watch it, he's done a hell of a job in the running game, blocking."

Schottenheimer also mentioned Chansi Stuckey and Brad Smith as players he believes will help the Jets win this season, but strong words will only erase so many of the question marks.

Clowney is extremely fast, but that speed has translated to just one catch over two seasons with the Jets. He's got five catches for 135 yards and two scores this preseason, but most have come against second-stringers. Stuckey and Smith have more experience, but little of it as starters and/or primary targets in an offense.

In addition to Marshall whispers, the Jets have also reportedly been showing interest in receivers who may not earn a spot with the Eagles. There figure to be other names added to the list as rosters get pared down in the next two weeks.

With Mark Sanchez officially installed as the starting quarterback, the Jets will keep getting asked about the guys tasked with catching his passes. And they won't stop until some or all of them prove they can help the rookie succeed in the passing game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/brian-schottenheimer-we-can-win-with-these-receivers/

:rl: This guy is dumber than I thought.

:rl: This guy is dumber than I thought.

I wish I could laugh at this situation. I find it sad & hopeless. We are stuck with this f'ing bum calling our plays and running our offense. We had our chance to get rid of him and his brilliant offensive mind this offseason but we brought him back. Get ready for some painful offense fellas.

What the eff is he suppose to say? Of course he is going to say the Jets can win with the personnel they got.

"No eff'n way we win a game with the WR we currently got on the team. I have been begging Tanny and Woody to trade for a WR or pick one up in FA since the draft, but those two are more confused about football than Gholston. I would give a 1st, 3rd and my left nut to have Marshall on team"

What the eff is he suppose to say? Of course he is going to say the Jets can win with the personnel they got.

"No eff'n way we win a game with the WR we currently got on the team. I have been begging Tanny and Woody to trade for a WR or pick one up in FA since the draft, but those two are more confused about football than Gholston. I would give a 1st, 3rd and my left nut to have Marshall on team"

There is a saying about it being better to stay quiet and have people think you might be stupid than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Nothing.

There is a saying about it being better to stay quiet and have people think you might be stupid than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Good Point We can only hope this is the case.

Only problem now is jack ass Jerry Jones is in the mix so the process will be sped up and the stakes raised.

I think our receivers our fine....

Cotchery is a good #1 he has come up big in the past.

Stuckey seemed to make all the big catches last year.

Clowney has had good preseasons but got hurt last year, so he couldnt show much but I do remember that sweet catch vs buffalo. He hasnt really gotten a shot yet, I think he emerges

Wright seems to be a quiet playmaker, wont have his number called to much but when it is hes the kinda player who will take advantage of it.

Defenses can focus on Cotchery but then Clowneys speed will come through and Stuckeys big play ability and good hands will hurt the defenses.

Defenses can focus on Clowney but then Cotchery will beat a corner 1 on 1 along with the help of Stuckey in the slot.

Id say Stuckey will be out most valuable because he will be the #3 and not be worried about and thats where he will open up the field and hurt defensive gameplans because then when they adjust we have Clowney and Cotchery right there to hurt defenses as well.

Keller isnt a WR but he is treated like one so he will help a lot for Sanchez. Theres no reason to say were in trouble.

Lets hope Rex Ryan and Tanne do not listen to this idiot.

You think the because he said this to the media it means he doesn't actually want to bring in another wr.

He HAS to say he is happy with the personnel he got. He HAS to make that statement if he likes his WR or if just spent 3 hours in a meeting discussing what what WR are avaiable in FA and from trades.

You guys are unbelievable. I see no reason they can't win with what they have. An upgrade would be nice, but teams have won with worse looking situations. If they do want Marshall ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD SAY WE NEED TO TRADE FOR WR NOW. If I guy you like (2006 Mangini/presently Rex) says something it's all cool and genius, but if a guy you don't like (Edwards, and presently Schotty and Mangini) says it you crucify him.

You guys are unbelievable. I see no reason they can't win with what they have. An upgrade would be nice, but teams have won with worse looking situations. If they do want Marshall ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD SAY WE NEED TO TRADE FOR WR NOW. If I guy you like (2006 Mangini/presently Rex) says something it's all cool and genius, but if a guy you don't like (Edwards, and presently Schotty and Mangini) says it you crucify him.

I would say the same thing if Rex said it. We need a #1 Receiver.

Problem is this team doesn't know if its building, or win now.

If its win now the choice is obvious. But we're not win now, we are rebuilding but in NY you can't come out and say its a rebuilding year cause everyone will go nuts.

Hence the reason we never have depth, we're always stuck in the middle.

Well, our head coach has been saying we're fine with what we've got too. I guess that makes our HC and OC idiots. Makes for a rough few years and stunted growth of our new QB.

+1

Remember when so many people loved mangini's "no nonsens approach". Now he was "an ignorant prick who was abrasive and alienated his players"

LOL

Lets hope Rex Ryan and Tanne do not listen to this idiot.

You do realize he had a job interview right? Rex has alrady said he's going to give him more freedom to run the offense. Not only does our HC believe this idiot, he's giving him more authority. I guess that makes Rex an even bigger idiot.

Problems with this:

Schotty is an unimaginative idiot.

Our WR situation is dire.

If we fixed our WR position we'd be SB bound.

Neither Stuckey nor Smith are even passable or useful players.

No teams win without star WRs.

Our passing game can't be effective with only Cotchery, Keller, and Leon as players fans acknowledge as useful.

No doubt Rex and Schotty are salivating at the chance to overpay for the poor, depraved, misunderstood Brandon Marshall so that he can save our season.

Problem is this team doesn't know if its building, or win now.

If its win now the choice is obvious. But we're not win now, we are rebuilding but in NY you can't come out and say its a rebuilding year cause everyone will go nuts.

Hence the reason we never have depth, we're always stuck in the middle.

Problem is it's win now everywhere but QB... IT's out of sync, as usual..

Which is why we should've drafted Cutler in 06 or traded for him this offseason...

Bottom line:

We don't get a receiver: 7-9 - 7-7

We get Marshall: Sky is the limit

Shotty is only saying this because he has to. He isn't gonna say he doesn't like them because he's not positive that we're going for another receiver.

If we don't get a WR we don't play our last two games?

Just so you know who we are getting. The kid seems to have all the talent.........But

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Marshall

Legal trouble

According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[40]

On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[41] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[42]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[43] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[44]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[45] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[46] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[47] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[46]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[48]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[49] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[50] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[51]

c'mon fellas

what's he supposed to say ?

"our guys suck, the denver GM should hold us over a barrel and squeeze that 1st and 4th out of us cuz we're desperate" ?

that would be stupid

just cuz you have a boner for marshall doesn't mean shotty needs to ruin tanny's barganing position with stupid quotes

c'mon man !

didn't schotty also say that "the next staring quarterback of the new york jets is on the roster" back when it was Kellen, Ratliff, Ainge? :bag:

Didn't Bill Parcells say "we have a nice stable of running backs and we don't plan on moving anyone" just before he got rid of Adrian Murrell having just signed Curtis?

Reading what people are saying on here would have you think they've been watching football for all of six months.

When a coach talks to the media he's no different than a politician. Say the right things to make it look like your house is in order and you're ready to go to battle. Keep this in mind and we'll have a lot less people freaking out when a coach comes out and supports his personnel.

What's he supposed to say, "No way we compete with these scrubs?"

Then every team wants a 1st for their #2...

Bingo!

There's no doubt that the Jets are watching a variety of WR situations around the league. I'll be surprised if Tannenbaum doesn't make some sort of move at the position.

Problems with this:

Schotty is an unimaginative idiot.

Our WR situation is dire.

If we fixed our WR position we'd be SB bound.

Neither Stuckey nor Smith are even passable or useful players.

No teams win without star WRs.

Our passing game can't be effective with only Cotchery, Keller, and Leon as players fans acknowledge as useful.

No doubt Rex and Schotty are salivating at the chance to overpay for the poor, depraved, misunderstood Brandon Marshall so that he can save our season.

As it stands, Cotch, Keller, and Leon are absolutely imperative to any chance of success offensively. One of those guys goes down, the Jets are in a seriously bad way. I have some hope that Clowney can emerge as something of a Santana Moss for us, but he certainly can't be relied upon.

I wonder if the Jets have any real interest in Marshall. The guy is obviously a problem. There's no guaranteeing that he'll be happy here, and he might get particularly excited about how much bad press he's able to generate from NY. I'll root like hell for him if he comes here, but I can't say I'm rooting like hell for him to come here.

I think it's quite a reach to say this team is Super Bowl bound if they fix the WR position. Could be the difference between picking in the top or bottom half of next year's draft, though.

Archived