It's Official: Kazmir to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim County of Los Angeles

PS17

they have to clear waivers or be traded to the team that claims them off waivers. and there's a waiver order.

Okay. So you're telling me that no one put in a waiver claim besides LA who would be pretty low priority on the waiver list? Seems odd to me.

Okay. So you're telling me that no one put in a waiver claim besides LA who would be pretty low priority on the waiver list? Seems odd to me.

idk...i think teams put alot of players on waivers to try and push the ones they may want to trade through. anyway...it does seem odd, but that's the way it works. so i guess he either cleared waivers or the angels were the worst team or only team to claim him.

idk...i think teams put alot of players on waivers to try and push the ones they may want to trade through. anyway...it does seem odd, but that's the way it works. so i guess he either cleared waivers or the angels were the worst team or only team to claim him.

Don't the have the third best record in baseball? Someone smells fishy to me. Boston would have claimed him if he was available.

This is what is bothering me. I'm happy they didn't get him but there is no way Boston doesn't claim him.

Why would Boston claim Kazmir? He's 8-7 with a 5.92 ERA. He's owed 20 plus million over the next two seasons. He throws a ton of pitches and almost never goes past 6 innings. That's taxing to a bullpen. In 20 starts this seaons he's pitched 7 innings or more twice. Sure he's 25 and young but if you factor in having to give up some good prospects for him, he's not worth it. The Angels are giving up some pretty good prospects from what I've read, and the Sox wouldn't be willing to do that for Kazmir.

Why would Boston claim Kazmir? He's 8-7 with a 5.92 ERA. He's owed 20 plus million over the next two seasons. He throws a ton of pitches and almost never goes past 6 innings. That's taxing to a bullpen. In 20 starts this seaons he's pitched 7 innings or more twice. Sure he's 25 and young but if you factor in having to give up some good prospects for him, he's not worth it. The Angels are giving up some pretty good prospects from what I've read, and the Sox wouldn't be willing to do that for Kazmir.

He is young, good and would be their 3rd best pitcher. 10m a year is nothing in baseball. You guys had smoltz and penny starting. He is light years better than those guys. You guys need pitching or you're going no where in the post season.

He is young, good and would be their 3rd best pitcher. 10m a year is nothing in baseball. You guys had smoltz and penny starting. He is light years better than those guys. You guys need pitching or you're going no where in the post season.

Dice-K will be back in 2 weeks. Wakefield is back and looked really good the other night. Beckett continues to struggle, but in October there isn't anyone I'd rather have right now. The Sox have the pitching to do well in the postseason.

Plus do you honestly see the Rays trading him within the division? Angels gave up very good prospects for this trade, mind you. If the Sox would give up the good prospects for Halladay, they won't for Scott Kazmir.

Dice-K will be back in 2 weeks. Wakefield is back and looked really good the other night. Beckett continues to struggle, but in October there isn't anyone I'd rather have right now. The Sox have the pitching to do well in the postseason.

Plus do you honestly see the Rays trading him within the division? Angels gave up very good prospects for this trade, mind you. If the Sox would give up the good prospects for Halladay, they won't for Scott Kazmir.

You're saying dice-k and wakefield are better than Kazmir? No I do not, but I could see the socks claiming him, offering nothing and either taking his contract and paying the fee or having the rays take him off of waivers. I don't understand them letting a team they are likely to see in the playoffs upgrade like this. Yankees would play the central team and Socks play the angels in the playoffs. Or do I have that mixed up?

I think I have a decent idea as far as how the system works, I just have no idea how this happens. Somebody said it right (as I understand it) before in that a player is placed on waivers and the team with the worst record that puts a claim in is awarded the player.

However, how could there not be a team out there that would put a claim in on one of the best young lefties in baseball? Okay, so he's struggling this season. Does that mean who won't return to form for the next two years and be a top of the rotation pitcher for a salary that sadly, can be considered a bargain for that type of player? Some GMs are just asleep at the wheel it seems.

You're saying dice-k and wakefield are better than Kazmir? No I do not, but I could see the socks claiming him, offering nothing and either taking his contract and paying the fee or having the rays take him off of waivers. I don't understand them letting a team they are likely to see in the playoffs upgrade like this. Yankees would play the central team and Socks play the angels in the playoffs. Or do I have that mixed up?

Wakefield this season has been better than Kazmir. The good Dice-K (not this season's version) is better than Kazmir. I wouldn't have minded giving the kid a look. You'd have to ask Theo why he didn't It might have something to do with still paying for Lugo, Penny, and Smoltz for this season. Not sure. I don't think a trade would have been worked out anyway.

The Sox if they win the Wild Card will play the team with the best record, unless it is the Yankees. In that case they'd play the team with the second best record and the Yankees would play the other team. Depends on how the records all shake out at the end.

I think I have a decent idea as far as how the system works, I just have no idea how this happens. Somebody said it right (as I understand it) before in that a player is placed on waivers and the team with the worst record that puts a claim in is awarded the player.

However, how could there not be a team out there that would put a claim in on one of the best young lefties in baseball? Okay, so he's struggling this season. Does that mean who won't return to form for the next two years and be a top of the rotation pitcher for a salary that sadly, can be considered a bargain for that type of player? Some GMs are just asleep at the wheel it seems.

20 million plus over the next two seasons is a lot for some clubs, plus giving up the prospects for a guy who has sturggled a lot this season. He's be worth a shot to some of the bigger market clubs, but to teams like the Sox and Yanks there is no way the Rays would move him in the division. I'm surprised they traded him to the Angels, but that just goes to show you how much the Angels gave up.

If the Sox claimed him to block a trade to the Angels, the Rays would pull him back obviously.

IMHO what serves the Sox best? Blocking the move does not really hurt the Angels, but it weakens the team 4.5 games behind them in the Wildcard Chase.

Deal with the Angels in the playoffs.

Does it not work in the same way as football? I remember a number of years ago, the Raiders put in a claim on Deion Sanders to bring him in, but teams higher up in priority put in claims, just to block him from being able to go there. Why wouldn't the Sox just put in a claim to prevent him going to the Angels?

John Smoltz was a great pitcher. In the NL. He sucked for the Sox. Brad Penny was a very good pitcher. In the NL and for a couple of months with the Sox. Teams figures him out in the AL. Dice-K had a tough year this year but was fantastic last season and already has a ring.

Like I said, and obviously your reading comprehension isn't very good. By claiming him the Sox would never get him anyway, so what does it matter. He's a guy they might explore as a 5th starter in the offseason, but he hasn't been very good this season and doesn't go very deep into games.

yeah but they coudl have claimed him and forced the rays to pull him off waivers....making him untradeable. although with the way he's been pitching maybe they were worried that the rays would stick them with his contract.

yeah but they coudl have claimed him and forced the rays to pull him off waivers....making him untradeable. although with the way he's been pitching maybe they were worried that the rays would stick them with his contract.

No. You could not be more wrong.

The Rays and Rangers are Sox biggest concern in the here and now. Not the Angels.

Allowing him to leave Tampa (who would never let him goto Boston), makes the Rays weaker and alos makes the Angels stronger. They still have 7 games remaining with the Rangers. All things being equal, the scenario that played out is the best for the Sox.

I like a Becket/Lester/Bucholz/Wake rotation vs Weaver/Lackey/Kazmir in a 5 game series.

Plus, the Sox could easily eat his contract. They have a nice 20-25 million gap in salary they intended to spen on Tex. Also, I would not really say they would be stuck with it. Since coming off the DL in late June, 8 of his 11 starts have been good. I would take the 25yo Kazmir and his contract.

it presumebly makes sense to think this will help Anaheim because Kazmir is a talented kid

but this year he's been hovering about 5 with his ERA all year long....Tampa isn't getting too hurt here.

granted I still think he's a great pitcher that would've prevented the Mets collapses the last 4 years

John Smoltz was a great pitcher. In the NL. He sucked for the Sox. Brad Penny was a very good pitcher. In the NL and for a couple of months with the Sox. Teams figures him out in the AL. Dice-K had a tough year this year but was fantastic last season and already has a ring.

Like I said, and obviously your reading comprehension isn't very good. By claiming him the Sox would never get him anyway, so what does it matter. He's a guy they might explore as a 5th starter in the offseason, but he hasn't been very good this season and doesn't go very deep into games.

:rl:

Archived