Utley

Hill

Kinsler

Cano

Uggla

Zobrist

Pedroia

Is this overall or just defense?

This year he's played a gold glove second base and had a bounceback year at the plate. I would put him in the top four overall.

Take it one step further, he is one of the top 4 2nd baseman in baseball

Utley

Hill

Kinsler

Cano

Uggla

Zobrist

Pedroia

I'm not going to go into a long drawn out rant here, but Pedroia is better than Cano. Don't get me wrong, Cano has had a very solid season, both in the field and in the box, and is probably even more talented, but give me Pedroia over him any day of the week. And I am not alone in that line of thinking. I'm sure you read the Post article.

Also, don't forget about Brian Roberts just because he plays in Baltimore. Uggla strikes out a ton and Zobrist isn't even the starting 2B on his team right now, although he seems to play there well.

I'm not going to go into a long drawn out rant here, but Pedroia is better than Cano. Don't get me wrong, Cano has had a very solid season, both in the field and in the box, and is probably even more talented, but give me Pedroia over him any day of the week. And I am not alone in that line of thinking. I'm sure you read the Post article.

Also, don't forget about Brian Roberts just because he plays in Baltimore. Uggla strikes out a ton and Zobrist isn't even the starting 2B on his team right now, although he seems to play there well.

As of right now, I would not have one other 2Bman in the league other than Cano, when it comes to age, natural ability on offense and defense.

Pedroia is not better than Cano. He had a career year last year, he is not better.

Seems like you are

Amongst Yankees fans, I'd expect no less. Now for some people who know what they're talking about:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08222009/sports/yankees/pedroias_effort_level_leaves_robbie_in_d_185974.htm

From the article by Joel Sherman:

BOSTON -- I formed a seven- man committee comprised of one NL GM, one AL GM, and five assistants -- three NL and two AL -- and posed this question:

If you could have Robinson Cano or Dustin Pedroia for the next five years, who would you take and why?

The result surprised me. All seven executives picked Pedroia. He is the reigning MVP. But his 2009 season is down from last year while Cano has rebounded to have a positive campaign. Pedroia just turned 26, Cano turns 27in October. I thought Cano might receive some extra points for potentially aging better than Pedroia, whose all-or-nothing swing scares me for the long term.

However, all seven respondents followed a basic theme: "Pedroia has better makeup and gives his all every day," an NL exec said. "On natural ability, Cano tops the list. But Pedroia is a winner and a leader."

HAHAHHAAHHA did this nicca just follow up "now for someone who knows what he's talking about" with a Joel Sherman article? ahahahahaha

King of small sample size crazy carl, i salute you, once again.

I was talking about the Major League Baseball executives that he interviewed. Get a clue. Better yet, just don't respond. You need all of the brain cells you can get.

OH

And your boy went 0-5 all while his team fell back to 7.5 back to the Yanks

Texas wins, and they only trail by 2.5

Go Rangers

Since the invention of the Wild Card, no team leading the WC Race on September first has ever not won the Wild Card. The Sox have an easy schedule down the stretch and a bunch of home games. Not worried one bit.

Cano has had a very solid season, both in the field and in the box, and is probably even more talented, but give me Pedroia over him any day of the week. And I am not alone in that line of thinking. I'm sure you read the Post article.

Robinson Cano: The Best Second Baseman in MLB

default-user-icon-small.png by Perry Arnold (Analyst) Written on May 22, 2009

default-user-icon-profile_page.png Perry Arnold

Analyst

148 articles written

587 comments written

38 fans

View Profile

Send a Message

41118_feature.jpg (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

There are a number of excellent second basemen in the major leagues.

A few of the best would have to include Ian Kinsler of Texas, Placido Polanco of Detroit, Brian Roberts of Baltimore, Dustin Pedroia of Boston, Jeff Keppinger of Houston, Freddy Sanchez of Pittsburgh, Chase Utley of Philadelphia, and Brandon Phillips of Cincinnati.

But at this time in his career, at age 26, the New York Yankees have the best of the entire bunch in Robinson Cano.

Cano carries a career batting average of .304 and a career on-base percentage of .336.

Through 41 games in 2009, Cano is hitting .317 with an OBP of .354. But he also has improved his slugging stats with eight HR and an OPS of .881. His OPS+ is 127 for the year.

Cano was almost given up for dead during the 2008 campaign when he seemed distracted and lethargic. It was his worst year in the majors and he finished the season hitting only .271.

Even that average did not tell the whole story as Cano had to finish very hot to even get to that mediocre level.

There was a great deal of talk by "experts" that the Yankees should trade Cano. Fans seemed to have given up on him too and his future seemed clouded.

But Cano has hit as high as .342 for an entire season as he did in 2006 when he just missed winning the American League batting crown.

No other current second sacker has finished a season with an average as high as Cano did in 2006, although Placido Polanco was close when he hit .341 in 2007.

Pedroia works as hard as anybody in major league baseball and is just as gritty. But Cano has more natural power than Pedroia and more natural talent.

Chase Utley of the Phillies is another highly regarded second baseman. And you cannot argue against a player who helped lead his team to the World Series championship last season.

Without question Utley exceeds Cano with power. But Cano has a higher lifetime batting average and his upside certainly seems higher than Utley's.

But Cano's talent is boundless. The only real knock on the Yankee is whether he has the desire to be excellent game in and game out.

At the plate Cano has been compared to the likes of Rod Carew.

Cano has exceptionally quick hands and can turn on an inside pitch and drive it over the wall. He proved this last night, against the Orioles, when he hit a laser over the right field wall that never seemed to get more than ten feet off the ground.

But he also has exceptional bat control and can cover the outside corner of the plate, spraying line drives down the left field line and into the gaps.

On defense, Cano has as much range as he seems to need and has superior instincts. The quick hands that benefit him at bat also permit him to release the ball very quickly. He also has a strong arm that often surprises because his throws arrive with seemingly little effort.

He is adept at getting the ball to his infield partner, Derek Jeter to begin double plays.

And when the ball is hit to Jeter, Cano is nimble around the bag and turns double plays as well as anyone in either league.

Cano will slump and becomes his own worst enemy by failing to concentrate fully in every game. But when Robinson Cano comes to the park ready to play, there is no better second baseman in baseball

Archived