Sanchez to play 1 series vs Eagles

Cant Hackett

By MARK CANNIZZARO

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09012009/sports/jets/sanchez_to_play_1_series_vs__eagles_187573.htm

Last updated: 5:45 am

September 1, 2009

Posted: 3:09 am

September 1, 2009

If you're fired up to see what Mark Sanchez delivers as an encore to his performance against the Giants, tune into the Jets-Eagles game early and don't take any bathroom breaks.

Rex Ryan yesterday said he plans to play the starters for one series against the Eagles Thursday night.

"It's going to be vanilla football, with not a lot of blitzing," Ryan said.

David Clowney, who didn't have pass thrown to him in the Giants game despite playing with the starters, yesterday didn't sound discouraged, saying "the feedback was good" from the coaching staff on his performance.

"I made a bunch of blocks in the running game," he said. "The game went real well for me."

Clowney has been having fun recently throwing out the statement to Ryan, "Who can cover the Clown?"

Ryan said, "I talked to him and said, 'What happened to the Clown?' He said, 'Coach, I was blocking out there,' and he was. He did a good job."

Ryan, however, was noncommittal about whether Clowney would get another start, though he will play a lot against the Eagles.

Ryan couldn't resist another dig at the Patriots when asked about the minor hamstring injury DE Mike DeVito suffered against the Giants.

Imitating Bill Belichick's famous vague description of injuries, including the absence of information recently given to Tom Brady's shoulder injury, Ryan said, "DeVito's got a leg injury . . . or a shoulder injury that came down to his hamstring."

Rookie RB Shonn Greene, who suffered a minor rib injury in the Baltimore game, was back on the practice field yesterday. Greene will likely not play Thursday.

Because he'd seen it erroneously reported in one paper, Ryan made it a point to note that, on the 71-yard TD pass from Giants' backup QB David Carr to rookie WR Hakeem Nicks, it was not S Eric Smith's fault. Smith was blamed because he was called for an illegal contact penalty on the play, which was declined.

"That was not Eric's guy," Ryan said.

Ryan expects the starters to play "maybe just one series on both sides of the ball" in Thursday's final preseason game against the Eagles, but linebacker Calvin Pace, who will miss the Jets' first four games because of a league suspension, should pick up some serious minutes.

This is good news. Sanchez can use the reps.

I don't see the point in protecting a rookie during the 4th preseason game. Yeah, he could get injured. But he could also get injured week 1 or any other week, you won't be able to keep him in bubble wrap forever. And he needs the experience.

A seasoned vet, particularly one with that is a bit tweeked on the other hand I would rest, cause they don't really need the practice.

I don't see the point in protecting a rookie during the 4th preseason game. Yeah, he could get injured. But he could also get injured week 1 or any other week, you won't be able to keep him in bubble wrap forever. And he needs the experience.

A seasoned vet, particularly one with that is a bit tweeked on the other hand I would rest, cause they don't really need the practice.

one series vs. backups does nothing for anyone, let alone a rookie. let him start focusing on texas now, no distractions.

one series vs. backups does nothing for anyone, let alone a rookie. let him start focusing on texas now, no distractions.

He's a rookie, he needs the reps. And 10 days is PLENTY of time to put all his focus on the Texans. Its not like he hasn't already been preparing for them, anyways.

1 series does absolutely nothing...would love to hear your thoughts if one of the linemen got hurt during this meaningless time

I am okay with one series. Another warm up. Another first drive\game prep. I think the experience will be valuable. And you get the starting OLine in and out. Minimizing their exposure. I think it is better for Sanchez to get out there even for just a few minutes.

I am okay with one series. Another warm up. Another first drive\game prep. I think the experience will be valuable. And you get the starting OLine in and out. Minimizing their exposure. I think it is better for Sanchez to get out there even for just a few minutes.

but what exactly is the goal? and a three and out would serve what purpose? run the ball three times? game preparation? the kid played at USC.... I am more concerned for the other veterans as opposed to a qb who will more than likely not even get hit

1 series does absolutely nothing...would love to hear your thoughts if one of the linemen got hurt during this meaningless time

It's okay with me too. The line may be part of the reason. They have had a couple of guys tweaked and it'll probably do them some good to play together for another series. It certainly looked like the timing was off against the Giants.

You could say this for every single Preseason series.

If I was Rex I'd be playing Mark and the O at least 2, if not 3 series. He's a rookie and the OLine didn't look that great last week in their first apperance working as a whole unit in 2009.

I think it is a stupid idea...it will add next to no value at all. If any player needs that one series to dramatically improve there are bigger problems.

4H, he's putting Sanchez in for the iniital set because he needs the reps - HE WAS A JUNIOR last year at USC & a week from this Sunday, he starts as the youngest Jets QB in our history against the Texans.

I agree with Rex & Brian that he needs to remain in the groove in order to keep his mind set in place...

Oi! :yawn:

So what would be the difference if it happened this week or Week 1 against the Texans on the 1st set?

I could understand your rant if it was week 4 of the Pre-Season with a non-rookie offense...

Sometimes I just don't get your logic - It's almost as if you say these things hoping we will fail.

Archived