Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

New York Mick

Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's up the employer to decide what skills he's looking for. If he wants to make the ability to speak Spanish one of them, that's his right. I'm sure there are a lot of jobs where that's a useful tool.

The bakery I go to has a dozen chicks working there to wait on the customers, and every one of them is hotter than the last. Something tells me you wouldn't have too much of a problem with that employer's hiring practices.

I vote no. If my business is going to suffer because a worker can't speak Spanish than I am going to only hire someone that can speak Spanish. To me I see no difference between requiring the ability to speak Spanish and requiring the ability to use Word. It's a skill.

Exactly. It's really very simple: if I, as the business owner, will make more profit by having spanish speaking employees, why the hell is it the government's business to prevent me from hiring people who meet my requirements. Sorry, but the OP is just asinine.

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't have any language requirements. It'll be OK.

And there are plenty of jobs that you can't get in S Florida if you don't speak Spanish.

Jobs that I've been turned down for over the years because I don't speak Spanish.

Stripclub manager twice

Corrections Officer

Tree Farm (go figure)

Restaurant manager

Window Installer

Concrete laborer

Electrician Helper

I've been lucky enough to have a job though the crappy economy but there are plenty of people here that haven't and it's bs that illegals that can't speak any form of English are getting the jobs and even worse keeping Americans from getting them because they can't speak Spanish.

Every other group that has come to this country has learn American English why can't Latinos?

Exactly. It's really very simple: if I, as the business owner, will make more profit by having spanish speaking employees, why the hell is it the government's business to prevent me from hiring people who meet my requirements. Sorry, but the OP is just asinine.

So it's ok for the a large group of poor people to suffer so one rich **** can get richer. Nice attitude. And I never said anything about pay scale.

So it's ok for the a large group of poor people to suffer so one rich **** can get richer. Nice attitude. And I never said anything about pay scale.

Who said all business owners are rich?

No one is stopping you from learning Spanish. Like was said earlier, its a SKILL. If a large part of your clientele are spanish-speaking, sometimes you have to make the adjustment. We don't have a national language, no one is REQUIRED to learn english OR spanish.

Who said all business owners are rich?

No one is stopping you from learning Spanish. Like was said earlier, its a SKILL. If a large part of your clientele are spanish-speaking, sometimes you have to make the adjustment. We don't have a national language, no one is REQUIRED to learn english OR spanish.

Fair enough not all business owners are rich.

Nothing is stopping them from learning American English either. Speaking another language is a skill if you're a translator other then that it's not a skill. Knowing how to wire a house is a skill.

Other then translator or out of country business what job requires you to speak Spanish?

There are lots of them where it is totally necessary. I voted no because like it was said earlier if it is necessary to run my business then it is my right to hire the person who best fits the job. Also, english is not the official language of the USA. There is no official language for the US. It's just the most widely spoken.

So as far as you guys are concerned or country speaking one language isn't important. Every group that moves to this country should just keep their own language so that in the future we'll have 20 different languages spoken here. That will really help the country move forward.

English is still the internation business language. And no it really doesn't matter if the country speaks 20 different languages within it.

So as far as you guys are concerned or country speaking one language isn't important. Every group that moves to this country should just keep their own language so that in the future we'll have 20 different languages spoken here. That will really help the country move forward.

FWIW I am all for using only English for all official government business, an official language for the US. To me though that is a separate issue. Whether or not English is the official language, it should still be legal for employers to require their employees speak Spanish or whatever language the employers choose.

There are lots of them where it is totally necessary. I voted no because like it was said earlier if it is necessary to run my business then it is my right to hire the person who best fits the job. Also, english is not the official language of the USA. There is no official language for the US. It's just the most widely spoken.

It might not be the official language of the USA but there are I think 30 states where English is the official language and Florida is one of them. I think they voted it in in 1988 when I first moved to Florida because people in Miami were trying to make it a Spanish speaking city.

FWIW I am all for using only English for all official government business, an official language for the US. To me though that is a separate issue. Whether or not English is the official language, it should still be legal for employers to require their employees speak Spanish or whatever language the employers choose.

I agree 100%. Immigration is good for the country and its economy and as long as you have immigration you will have people who come here speaking a different language who will need Mortgages, Banking, Groceries, ect. and will need help with them by people who they can communicate with well.

I agree 100%. Immigration is good for the country and its economy and as long as you have immigration you will have people who come here speaking a different language who will need Mortgages, Banking, Groceries, ect. and will need help with them by people who they can communicate with well.

Should their kids learn English or schools have classes where the teacher speaks Spanish?

If there were 20 different languages spoken here it would make it almost impossible to live and work here.

No it wouldn't. Perhaps then we could finally have a much needed voucher system for our schools. Joking aside pockets of different languages would make it easier for the US to do business and expand business around the world.

Should their kids learn English or schools have classes where the teacher speaks Spanish?

I think every school should uphold the state standards for english. In Europe they all know two or three languages atleast. But if they want to teach kids to be fluent in spanish too, then I think that would be a good thing.

No it wouldn't. Perhaps then we could finally have a much needed voucher system for our schools. Joking aside pockets of different languages would make it easier for the US to do business and expand business around the world.

The US has made a ton of money in Latin America? What products do we sell there? I could be wrong on this on because I haven't ever done any research so this is a question.

The US has made a ton of money in Latin America? What products do we sell there? I could be wrong on this on because I haven't ever done any research so this is a question.

Lots of stuff is manufactured in Latin America. Which in turn allows companys to return bigger profits to their stock holder, hire more executives at a higher pay, offer products at a cometitive price in those markets and allow entrepreneurs to start a business with less start up manufacturing costs.

Fair enough not all business owners are rich.

Nothing is stopping them from learning American English either. Speaking another language is a skill if you're a translator other then that it's not a skill. Knowing how to wire a house is a skill.

Businesses need to adapt to the customer, not the other way around. It's a competitive world, and if you don't accommodate your market, someone else will.

It's not politically it's social completely with in the rules of the board.

Hey you Irish prick, if you're going to vote no then at least explain why.

So it's ok for Americans not to be able to get a job in America because they can't speak a foreign language. ****ing amazing, maybe some of you that voted no should move to Miami.

It might not be the official language of the USA but there are I think 30 states where English is the official language and Florida is one of them. I think they voted it in in 1988 when I first moved to Florida because people in Miami were trying to make it a Spanish speaking city.

Yeah, totally not political.

Its not a question of rich or poor. Its about free markets and efficiency. That's like arguing it should be illegal to require computer skills to work at a job where computer skills are necessary.

Archived