Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

New York Mick

Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might not be the official language of the USA but there are I think 30 states where English is the official language and Florida is one of them. I think they voted it in in 1988 when I first moved to Florida because people in Miami were trying to make it a Spanish speaking city.

So what? Are non-English speakers now subject to arrest? If they can't ask for a hamburger in English, they can't get one?

This is a capitalist country, and employers are going to do what they can to make the most profit. If I'm doing business in a community with a large population of Spanish speaking people, I want to hire people who'll be able to communicate with them. It's much more efficient than for me to hire a translator. It's faster, and it's one less person on the payroll.

So what? Are non-English speakers now subject to arrest? If they can't ask for a hamburger in English, they can't get one?

This is a capitalist country, and employers are going to do what they can to make the most profit. If I'm doing business in a community with a large population of Spanish speaking people, I want to hire people who'll be able to communicate with them. It's much more efficient than for me to hire a translator. It's faster, and it's one less person on the payroll.

I just looked up how many foreign languages would be spoken here if all the immigrants that came here didn't learn English, around 322, that wouldn't hurt the country at all.

Anyway at least I stop talking about Marshall for a while.

I just looked up how many foreign languages would be spoken here if all the immigrants that came here didn't learn English, around 322, that wouldn't hurt the country at all.

And that would mean the US would be able to do business in 322 different places in the world. Which mean you would be able to go to Wal Mart and get your lamp shade for the cheapest price on the world market. Those countries who do not adapt will fall behind the crowd.

Yeah, I see so many people on this thread suggesting that immigrants stop learning English that that's an extremely relevant point.

I'm guessing, Mick, that you're a guy who thinks he believes in freedom. So why not the freedom of an employer to set the requirements for employment in his establishment?

And that would mean the US would be able to do business in 322 different places in the world. Which mean you would be able to go to Wal Mart and get your lamp shade for the cheapest price on the world market. Those countries who do not adapt will fall behind the crowd.

Dude have you ever been to Wal Mart? It's a ****ing 3rd world country.

Yeah, I see so many people on this thread suggesting that immigrants stop learning English that that's an extremely relevant point.

I'm guessing, Mick, that you're a guy who thinks he believes in freedom. So why not the freedom of an employer to set the requirements for employment in his establishment?

Immigrants can stop learning English, but they'll never thrive here. They'll just get by. So whats the difference.

Dude have you ever been to Wal Mart? It's a ****ing 3rd world country.

I was half joking. But seriously dude if you owned a business you would hire the best person for the job. You aren't going to hire Roseanne Barr to work as a nude dancer at your strip club. If that guy is hiring spanish speaking employees and its hurting his business then he is a moron who won't be in business for too long.

You do know that there are classes in Spanish in Miami so that the Spanish kids can graduate even though they can't speak English. The problem is is they're not learning English that's my point.

I don't believe in freedom, because this country isn't free other then having the right to speak your mind and worship what ever god you choice.

So you think it's OK for illegal immigrants to take jobs of US legals?

My x wife was from Romania and my current gf is from the Philippines and both as well as their families learned English and they think it is retarded that no one around Miami speaks English.

I was half joking. But seriously dude if you owned a business you would hire the best person for the job. You aren't going to hire Roseanne Barr to work as a nude dancer at your strip club. If that guy is hiring spanish speaking employees and its hurting his business then he is a moron who won't be in business for too long.

You would pay to see Roseanne Barr naked?

It's not the point the point is illegals are getting jobs and making it so you have to speak Spanish to get a job. There is nothing wrong with knowing two languages and I think we should start doing a better job teaching kids here. And give them more then one choice as a language to learn.

If you are going against an illigal, non-english speaking person for a job, then I think it is time for a skills upgrade.

Lol, funny but way off.

A bunch of jobs that use to go to younger people starting out in the career world are now given to illegal. How are they suppose to learn a trade unless they go to college? You think all welders, equipment operators, electricians, plumbers, machinist, mechanic, ect should all look for a skill upgrade?

The US has made a ton of money in Latin America? What products do we sell there? I could be wrong on this on because I haven't ever done any research so this is a question.

I'm not entirely sure about Latin America, but my job deals alot with Central America. I'm pretty sure the US Exports roughly 15.7 Billion dollars to just Central America.

As for the OP- I have to agree with what Doggin said; if a business owner chooses that having a spanish speaking employee creates a business advantage then they have the right to. I'm pretty sure that China has over 20 languages as well, and they're doing ok.

I'm not entirely sure about Latin America, but my job deals alot with Central America. I'm pretty sure the US Exports roughly 15.7 Billion dollars to just Central America.

As for the OP- I have to agree with what Doggin said; if a business owner chooses that having a spanish speaking employee creates a business advantage then they have the right to. I'm pretty sure that China has over 20 languages as well, and they're doing ok.

Their National Language is Standard Mandarin for speaking and Simplified Chinese for writing.

You do know that there are classes in Spanish in Miami so that the Spanish kids can graduate even though they can't speak English. The problem is is they're not learning English that's my point.

Really? Because your original point seemed to be some whine about not being qualified for a job because you don't speak another language.

I don't believe in freedom, because this country isn't free other then having the right to speak your mind and worship what ever god you choice.

So you think it's OK for illegal immigrants to take jobs of US legals?

My x wife was from Romania and my current gf is from the Philippines and both as well as their families learned English and they think it is retarded that no one around Miami speaks English.

Did they teach straw man arguments where you went to school? Nowhere did I say that illegals should be able to take your job.

IMG_01044.JPG

I'm saying that an employer should have every right to set the requirement level for any position he's looking to fill.

Really? Because your original point seemed to be some whine about not being qualified for a job because you don't speak another language.

Did they teach straw man arguments where you went to school? Nowhere did I say that illegals should be able to take your job.

IMG_01044.JPG

I'm saying that an employer should have every right to set the requirement level for any position he's looking to fill.

But a lot of jobs are taken by illegals which cause more jobs to have Spanish speaking people to work with them and then it requires more Spanish speaking people to work with them and so on until everyone speaks Spanish and then no one who doesn't speak Spanish in a state where English is the official language can get a job related to theirs.

Being bilingual will make you $$$ in this world.

Not sticking with a 2nd language is a big regret of mine. I dabble in Spanish/French but never stay with it long enough.

I spent a couple years at a company that had a plant in Mexico. I called down there and almost everyone spoke english.

It's fine to get all patriotic and talk tough about speaking only english, but in my opinion you're shooting yourself in the ass by doing it.

Lol, funny but way off.

A bunch of jobs that use to go to younger people starting out in the career world are now given to illegal. How are they suppose to learn a trade unless they go to college? You think all welders, equipment operators, electricians, plumbers, machinist, mechanic, ect should all look for a skill upgrade?

Look this is where it gets political and I don't want it to. I'm just going to say that the largest growth our economy has ever seen in its history was also the same time period that there was the largest amount of immigrants coming into this county. Those two facts are related and if the US really wanted to fix this economy they could look no further than immigration. Illegals are bad for a lot of reasons. But that is a different issue than speaking spanish. You should be able to speak whatever you want. This is a free country.

Their National Language is Standard Mandarin for speaking and Simplified Chinese for writing.

And English IS the standard language of this country.

It's not legal but if you ever want to truly get ahead here you need to learn English. I believe this cause my parents have friends who basically speak no English. They work the dead end jobs a lot of people don't want to do. Washing dishes, cleaning your office etc. My parents on the other hand dedicated themselves to speak English. In return my parents have benefitted from doing that because they've succeeded from staying away from those types of jobs.

It behooves people to learn English for non-native speakers. If you own a business and you need to communicate with non-english speaking people then you can choose what's a requirement or not. Just like dress code.

Check it out, DLJ. There is brief mention of the english requirements:

http://www.requirementsforuscitizenship.com/

Part of the requirements for US citizenship is to learn English vocabulary. It is requires that applicants demonstrate a general understanding of written, spoken and read English in order to obtain US citizenship. Additionally, in order to take the citizenship exam you will need to know English to read the exam and make the appropriate answers. There are different ways that you can learn that will help you to pass your citizenship exam.

Now, it is ADVANTAGEOUS to speak english if you're living in America (and part of the reason many countries have citizens who learn english), but its not required.

And English IS the standard language of this country.

It's not legal but if you ever want to truly get ahead here you need to learn English. I believe this cause my parents have friends who basically speak no English. They work the dead end jobs a lot of people don't want to do. Washing dishes, cleaning your office etc. My parents on the other hand dedicated themselves to speak English. In return my parents have benefitted from doing that because they've succeeded from staying away from those types of jobs.

It behooves people to learn English for non-native speakers. If you own a business and you need to communicate with non-english speaking people then you can choose what's a requirement or not. Just like dress code.

It's called Standard Chinese, China has a National Language.

Check it out, DLJ. No mention of speaking english in there:

Now, it is ADVANTAGEOUS to speak english if you're living in America (and part of the reason many countries have citizens who learn english), but its not required.

Um, before you can become a citizen you have to take a test to show proficiency in English.

Check it out, DLJ. There is brief mention of the english requirements:

My x wife needed to and it says it on the website you posted.

http://www.requirementsforuscitizenship.com/learn-english-vocabulary.php

Archived