Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

New York Mick

Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

Noone told me anything, I have a family of immigrants who went through the process/are going through the process of becoming citizens.

Well based on the last person that checked me out at Wal Mart, I can't imagine it is THAT much english.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you even know if that person is a citizen lol

It was a failed attempt at humor DLJ. Seriously though it is not much english. I know because my best friends wife is Columbian and went through the whole thing. I'm not an expert - but I believe they must learn some basic english and facts about the US. It's more for goverment reasons then social reasons.

In Italy they can make anything a requirement. A typical sign will ask for a good looking woman between 18 and 28. I posted this in another thread. The sign says "Searching for female shop clerk, dynamic and good looking"

3059990182_9b6ff2c268.jpg?v=0

Um, before you can become a citizen you have to take a test to show proficiency in English.

Only if you naturalize, but not if you are born a citizen. Plenty of people are born citizens overseas, get their passports without ever setting foot on U.S. soil. They never learn English. They don't have to take a test.

I think every school should uphold the state standards for english. In Europe they all know two or three languages atleast. But if they want to teach kids to be fluent in spanish too, then I think that would be a good thing.

Yep. In Europe they all know two or three languages and one of them is English. Thanks to the internet people use English in day to day conversation. It actually sounds quite odd.

Other then translator or out of country business what job requires you to speak Spanish?

A job where your clientele is mostly Spanish speaking?

If Latinos would learn English just like every other group of immigrants that moved here that wouldn't be necessary.

That doesn't change the reasoning as business practice. In Bensonhurst in the 1970's there were tons of Italian owned business where the workers spoke only Italian. Today there are still a few left on 18th Avenue, but you will find plenty of Russian and Chinese speaking establishments. I'm all for having immigrants learn English, but I don't have a problem with people preferring to deal with those that speak their mother tounge. It's just good business to have bi-lingual personnel.

I've been here for four years and while I can order my coffee and pannino in Italian I speak English 95% of the time. Even when I speak with Italians. There are plenty of ex-pats wandering around here and many don't speak English. Same in Prague.

That doesn't change the reasoning as business practice. In Bensonhurst in the 1970's there were tons of Italian owned business where the workers spoke only Italian. Today there are still a few left on 18th Avenue, but you will find plenty of Russian and Chinese speaking establishments. I'm all for having immigrants learn English, but I don't have a problem with people preferring to deal with those that speak their mother tounge. It's just good business to have bi-lingual personnel.

I've been here for four years and while I can order my coffee and pannino in Italian I speak English 95% of the time. Even when I speak with Italians. There are plenty of ex-pats wandering around here and many don't speak English. Same in Prague.

I agree 100% but they're not bi-lingual down here, if you go to Home Depot and try to ask for something you have to find a customer or if you're lucky an employee that speaks English so they can translate. As far as the small cafes good luck on finding anyone.

I agree 100% but they're not bi-lingual down here, if you go to Home Depot and try to ask for something you have to find a customer or if you're lucky an employee that speaks English so they can translate. As far as the small cafes good luck on finding anyone.

complain to the store and their corporate office.

find someplace else to shop.

if you cant, move somewhere where you can find businesses that speak your preferred language.

Great idea, lets have all of the legal English only speaking Americans move so that can make way for illegals.

illegals shouldnt be here to begin with. thats a totally different argument.

but if a store i shop in doesnt have someone speaking english when i need help, i shop somewhere else. if my area doesnt speak english, i move. i stay with the people im comfortable with.

I dont care what language anyone speaks.

But dont expect me to get you a translator because you dont speak english.

If you choose to not learn the dominant language, dont expect us to roll over and kiss your ass... stay with your people. stay in your neighborhood.

The problem is the neighborhood isn't just a neighborhood anymore it's a whole ****ing city and county and it's starting to take over the next county. Where does it stop?

The problem is the neighborhood isn't just a neighborhood anymore it's a whole ****ing city and county and it's starting to take over the next county. Where does it stop?

you need to get out more if you think its the whole country. I do a pretty good job avoiding non-english areas.

and if our country turns spanish, TFB. They win. And we'll need to learn their language.

illegals shouldnt be here to begin with. thats a totally different argument.

but if a store i shop in doesnt have someone speaking english when i need help, i shop somewhere else. if my area doesnt speak english, i move. i stay with the people im comfortable with.

So like I said you think all English only speaking Americans should have to move to accommodate Spanish only speaking legals and illegals.

I agree that illegals shouldn't be here but there are millions here.

So like I said you think all English only speaking Americans should have to move to accommodate Spanish only speaking legals and illegals.

I agree that illegals shouldn't be here but there are millions here.

did i say move to accommodate Spanish only? Nope. I said move if you have a problem that there are no english people. Its your choice. Either deal with it or move someplace that is more suitable to your needs as an english speaking american.

You complaining on a message board does nothing except make you look foolish. You're the grouchy old man we all despised as kids.

Perhaps you could put in a call to Bob Barker. He did wonders for the out-of-control domestic animal population. Of course, someone might accuse you of being a racist, but that is the price of responsibilty. I think.

If I own a business in an area of the country with a high population of Spanish speaking people (Florida, Texas, Arizona, California), I would want to hire some employees with Spanish speaking skills. If you ignore the demographic realities of the area where your business is located, then your company will suffer.

County not country

Dade County

sorry...

still. if they are taking over like c0ckroaches, get out.

plenty of other places to go.

as aerosmith once said

we gotta move out

'Cause the city's movin' in

I said we gotta move out

'Cause the city's movin' in

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVTfDAxxu4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVTfDAxxu4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Archived