Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

New York Mick

Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should It Be Illegal For A Job To Require You To Speak Spanish?

If I own a business in an area of the country with a high population of Spanish speaking people (Florida, Texas, Arizona, California), I would want to hire some employees with Spanish speaking skills. If you ignore the demographic realities of the area where your business is located, then your company will suffer.

Some is not the problem, all is. Spanish people aren't trying to find someone who speaks Spanish, Americans are trying to find someone who speaks English.

I have no problem with places that have people that speak Spanish but if they all do and you can get hired there unless you do I think it's wrong.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some is not the problem, all is. Spanish people aren't trying to find someone who speaks Spanish, Americans are trying to find someone who speaks English.

I have no problem with places that have people that speak Spanish but if they all do and you can get hired there unless you do I think it's wrong.

I understand your frustration but you are asking for a law that imposes on individual business owners rights. If you don't like that you can't get get hired because you can't speak Spanish than you need to do something about.

This isn't an issue the government should get involved in.

I still think that if you come to this country and REFUSE to learn English it is close to impossible to truly make a comfortable life for your family. I see those examples a lot from my parents who are now US Citizens, and some of their friends who still live in Paterson (no offense to anyone from there) in an apartment.

Oh and my kid will be going to a Spanish Immersion school and I plan on speaking Spanish to him. For the reasons of being connected to his Chilean heritage and for the fact that it is an advantage to be bilingual.

What if part of your job is dealing with Spanish speaking people in Spanish speaking countries?

Have you ever considered improving your job skills by, I dunno, learning spanish?

Did the Latins that move here ever think about I dunno learning English?

Klecko, this has nothing to do with me working, I know enough Spanish for my job, Portuguese no. I'm talking about in general. I've dealt with it the past and I know a lot of Americans are still dealing with it.

The problem is the neighborhood isn't just a neighborhood anymore it's a whole ****ing city and county and it's starting to take over the next county. Where does it stop?

It stops no time soon. Latinos are easily the largest growing segment of the population. I've read studies suggesting that whites will no longer be the majority of Americans by 2050. This is the way things are going. It's up to you whether you want to adapt, move, or sit there and complain. My feeling is that choice C is the least productive.

As Vic said, it will benefit these immigrants to learn to speak English, and those who wish to prosper will. Their children will be taught English in school, just like the children of immigrants always have been, and your beloved English will eventually prevail.

In the meantime....

rosetta-stone-spanish-big.jpg

It stops no time soon. Latinos are easily the largest growing segment of the population. I've read studies suggesting that whites will no longer be the majority of Americans by 2050. This is the way things are going. It's up to you whether you want to adapt, move, or sit there and complain. My feeling is that choice C is the least productive.

As Vic said, it will benefit these immigrants to learn to speak English, and those who wish to prosper will. Their children will be taught English in school, just like the children of immigrants always have been, and your beloved English will eventually prevail.

In the meantime....

As I already said they have schools in Dade school were kids graduate that can not speak English.

As far as me learning Spanish, I know enough for what I do but I shouldn't have to learn any.

I wont be alive by 2050 and there was an article or something I read called the Great White Flight. It was about whites moving out of S Florida and Latins and blacks moving in. I'm not sure but I think Broward (where I live) is about 45% white.

Dade (where I did live) is around 18%.

It looks like they have already left Dade.

OH NO WHITE PEOPLE AREN'T THE MAJORITY, WHAT DO WE DO.

If there are people graduating HS it still will not do anything to further the careers and will ultimately make life harder without pursuing a college education. I highly doubt someone will be able to go to a college without knowing ANY English, getting a degree and THEN getting a job without knowing English.

That in itself is asinine.

Pretty soon, we'll need to post in Spanish and watch the games in Spanish. And when you buy season tickets they'll require you to be proficient in Spanish.

That's what I though Max's big announcement was. A spanish version of JN..

In the meantime....

we should all go and move to Mexico and Central America and see how they like it...

:D

As I already said they have schools in Dade school were kids graduate that can not speak English.

As far as me learning Spanish, I know enough for what I do but I shouldn't have to learn any.

I wont be alive by 2050 and there was an article or something I read called the Great White Flight. It was about whites moving out of S Florida and Latins and blacks moving in. I'm not sure but I think Broward (where I live) is about 45% white.

Dade (where I did live) is around 18%.

It looks like they have already left Dade.

whitey dont like non-whites and we are scared and we flee. look at rosedale queens...

This thread reminds me of a show idea I had...

The Pitch:

Two Mexicans stand in front of a 40 foot fence at the Texas border. On the other side, America, and a Judge waiting, to pronounce them legal citiczens. The first one over the top, with his feet on American soil, will earn his citiczenship. The second, will be forced return to Mexican soil.

In front of them, a fence and their freedom, behind them, Nitro and Turbo of the American Gladiators, in their Stars and Stripes Unitards, will chase these would-be citiczens up the wall, trying to prevent both from reaching their goal of landing on American Soil.

Would you watch?

The Pitch:

Two Mexicans stand in front of a 40 foot fence at the Texas border. On the other side, America, and a Judge waiting, to pronounce them legal citiczens. The first one over the top, with his feet on American soil, will earn his citiczenship. The second, will be forced return to Mexican soil.

In front of them, a fence and their freedom, behind them, Nitro and Turbo of the American Gladiators, in their Stars and Stripes Unitards, will chase these would-be citiczens up the wall, trying to prevent both from reaching their goal of landing on American Soil.

Would you watch?

If it were females, could the requirements be making out with Crush? I think lesbian implications would drive the ratings with the targeted demographic.

The Pitch:

Would you watch?

Hahahahahhaa...I would! It's so politically incorrect - and AWESOME.

And V, you would have female Gladiators going after Maria and Carmalita....so there is your lesbo angle.....and if the lady Galdiator looks like this one:

Raye+Hollitt.bmp

you would attract gay men, cross dressers, transgendered, transsexuals, bisexuals, the overall confused, and hermaphrodites. It would be Ratings nirvana. ;)

Archived