BRAD PENNY ALERT: 8 shutout innings vs world champ PHILLIES tonight

Blackout

Brad Penny, John Smoltz, Vicente Padilla, Cliff Lee, etc. The list goes on.

The AL is so superior to the NL, that they can look terrible/mediocre in the American and go dominate in the National. It really is that much of a difference between the two leagues.

4 bad starts in a row. Yup. After months of dominance. I don't know why you would bring up Hanley Ramirez though. Sure they were traded for each other, but only one has won a World Series since the trade. And you still make that trade every day of the week. Mike Lowell was also a part of that trade and he's been great for the Sox.

As far as Brad Penny goes, it's just the little girl league showing it's true colors again. Maybe they'll figure out his straight as an arrow fastball and not much else soon.

While there is truth in that statement, the Sox need to look at the way they are doing things. That is the second straight guy, Masterson to a lesser extent, have performed drastically better after leaving.

4 bad starts in a row. Yup. After months of dominance. I don't know why you would bring up Hanley Ramirez though. Sure they were traded for each other, but only one has won a World Series since the trade. And you still make that trade every day of the week. Mike Lowell was also a part of that trade and he's been great for the Sox.

I wouldn't.

HOF caliber SS > All-star caliber SP.

As far as Brad Penny goes, it's just the little girl league showing it's true colors again. Maybe they'll figure out his straight as an arrow fastball and not much else soon.

1-1 in his last 5, how many HR's has he given up in that time? What's his ERA lately? Dominant! :rl:

Beckett carried the Red Sox to the title in 2007. Plus, I believe, he still under 30.

When that trade was made I thought the Red Sox were crazy. Trading a future all-star shortstop for an injury-prone pitcher and a oft-injured third baseman. I was wrong. I'd make that trade again in a second.

Batting avg / On-Base % / Slugging % + the average players OPS+ = 100

2006:

Red Sox leading SS: .255/.299/.397 and a 75 OPS+

Hanley: .292/.353/.480, 116 OPS+

2007:

Red Sox leading SS: .237/.294/.349, 65 OPS+

Hanley: .332/.386/.562, 145 OPS+

2008:

Redsox LEading SS: .268/.355/.330, 78 OPS+

Hanley: .301/.400/.540, 146 OPS+

2009 (so far):

Red Sox leading SS: .233/.300/.367, 69 OPS+

Hanley: .355/.417/.555, 155 OPS+

Hanley would DOUBLE the offense output of the Red Sox best shortstop each year but 2006, in which he's still a huge improvement

Beckett plays every 5 games and has those blister stints each year...I'll take Hanley

how was Beckett last year in the playoffs??

Hanley Ramirez is a once in a lifetime talent. he's the re-incarnation of John Henry Lloyd. and i bet you probably don't even know who that is so go do some googling before replying.

Having Hanley in your lineup 155 times is better than Beckett 30-35 times pitching.

pitching does not "win" all the time. i do not buy into that because if it did then the Braves would have won every year from 1993-2002

Ryan Howard and Chase Utley's badass pitching is obviously what brought the Phillies to the dance last year.

Who was the MVP of the WS?

Howard? No.

Utley? No

Hamels? Yes.

The Phillies title had nothing to do with the Philles shutting down the Brewers, Dodgers and Rays. :rolleyes:

If hitting was the answer, the Sox would not have gone 86 years between title 5 and 6. The Yankees would have more titles from this decade as well.

Pitching wins championships.

Babe Ruth

Mickey Mantle

Yogi Berra

Joe Dimaggio

Lou freakin Gehrig

Reggie Jackson

Roger Maris

Bill Dickey

Earle Combs

Jeter

Bernie