1984, 1985 and 1986

Blackout

1984 49ers: 15-1, Joe Montana and Bill Walsh

1985 Bears: 15-1, Monster defense and Walter PAyton

1986 Giants: 14-2, Bill PArcells + Bill Belichick + Lawrence Taylor

does anyone else think these three teams, who won Superbowls back to back to back, all have claims to be the best NFL team ever??

or have I been watching too much NFL Films lately??

Those Giants and Bears teams only one 1 super bowl, they both should have won more IMO, the Niners won like 3 out of 6 so they had more success.

Even the Redskins team that won in 87 won like 2 out of 3.

Those bears were the most impressive playoff team I have ever seen though, they shutout 2 teams in rout to the big game and killed the Pats.

Jaded, the Giants won the SB in 86 and 90 with Parcells/Beli/L.T.

the Giants offense had Phil Simms (not a great QB but certainly a "very good" qb), Mark Bavarro (one intimidating mofo) and a decent offense

but clearly the bread and butter of that team was the defense

Jaded' date=' the Giants won the SB in 86 and 90 with Parcells/Beli/L.T.[/quote']I know, I guess you can call that the same team, but there were allot of changes, like the starting QB for instance. Did Simms start that year?

I know the Skins had 2 different QB's in those super bowls, but that was due to injury, not age. Point taken though, the G-men did win 2 of 4.

I'd say the Bears were the best of the 3 you mentioned, they definitely should have won more IMO.

I know, I guess you can call that the same team, but there were allot of changes, like the starting QB for instance. Did Simms start that year?

I know the Skins had 2 different QB's in those super bowls, but that was due to injury, not age. Point taken though, the G-men did win 2 of 4.

I'd say the Bears were the best of the 3 you mentioned, they definitely should have won more IMO>

eh I like the 1986 LT team over the 85 bears because LT's defense won him the league MVP which we NEVER see anybody else do on defense.... but the 49ers over both because of their QB being the best

all 3 had legendary coaches ofcourse

eh I like the 1986 LT team over the 85 bears because LT's defense won him the league MVP which we NEVER see anybody else do on defense.... but the 49ers over both because of their QB being the best

all 3 had legendary coaches ofcourse

Yeah I agree the Niners, because they had more success, and then the Giants.

I think the Bears could have been better, but they got c0cky and sloppy so, I can't put them on top.

You're going to detract from the Giants because they had a losing record during the strike season? That doesn't exactly seem fair. IIRC for the '87 season opener they ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and then proceeded to lose 5 straight. I say you throw the strike season out.

Phil Simms did start for the '90 team and he was having a pretty good season. Hardly any INTs, but he got hurt and stuck with Hostetler through the playoffs.

- 49ers certainly belong in the discussion.

- The Bears didn't win enough. Their offense was very limited and the defense's success was based on utilizing an alignment that opposing offenses hadn't figured out yet. Kind of like the Dolphins and their Wild Cat offense last season. I can recognize them as one of the most dominant teams but not one of the best teams ever.

- The Giants had too many years and player turnover between their championships. They also lose points for going 6-9 following their title.

When we're talking best ever, it's a three team discussion. 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, and the 2000's Patriots. The Patriots are the only team to have back-to-back 17-2 championship seasons and their record 21 game winning streak is damn impressive. Add in the fact that they also had the 18-1 near miss at perfection and that they're still active and going strong and it's easy to see which side of the argument I fall on.

The problem I have with the Steelers is Bradshaw. He played his best football in the big games but he made awful lot of mistakes along the way. The guy was a turnover machine. I can't help but think he'd get chewed up by the complex schemes defenses have come up with since he played.

patriots were caught cheating so.....they are disqualified.

So were the 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers.

if you're referring to the 49'ers playing the cap...i'm pretty sure that happened with steve young and they were pretty much just getting creative with bonuses and such, iirc. were the steelers ever actually caught doing steroids? that one i'm not sure of......but the pats were def caught and imo BB was doing it the wholt time and everything they accomplished with him at the helm is disqualified.

if you're referring to the 49'ers playing the cap...i'm pretty sure that happened with steve young and they were pretty much just getting creative with bonuses and such, iirc. were the steelers ever actually caught doing steroids? that one i'm not sure of......but the pats were def caught and imo BB was doing it the wholt time and everything they accomplished with him at the helm is disqualified.

The Whiners and Broncos were both penalized for their creative salary cap economics.

That yu think Belichick was the only guy that was creative with the camera is funny bordering on pathetic.

The Whiners and Broncos were both penalized for their creative salary cap economics.

That yu think Belichick was the only guy that was creative with the camera is funny bordering on pathetic.

i never said i thought he was the only one...but he got caught. what's pathetic is your delusional defense of the cheating with that time honored "well he did it too" defense. what is this grade school?

There was no salary cap in 1984 you ridiculous homer. 49ers also didn't have the benefit of free agency to aid in building a team. They had to draft well or they were screwed.

I'd like to submit the 1989 49ers as the best team of all time. Their two losses were by a combined 5 points. They had the number one scoring offense and the number 3 scoring defense. They absolutely steamrolled the postseason, outscoring their opponents 126-26.

That team was just sick. I don't think I've seen football played at a higher level.

i never said i thought he was the only one...but he got caught. what's pathetic is your delusional defense of the cheating with that time honored "well he did it too" defense. what is this grade school?

It does not make them less guilty though.

Yeah, Belichick got caught and punished. Just like Rodney (i.e. other thread), but doing something illegal and not getting caught does not make you innocent.

There was no salary cap in 1984 you ridiculous homer. 49ers also didn't have the benefit of free agency to aid in building a team. They had to draft well or they were screwed.

I'd like to submit the 1989 49ers as the best team of all time. Their two losses were by a combined 5 points. They had the number one scoring offense and the number 3 scoring defense. They absolutely steamrolled the postseason, outscoring their opponents 126-26.

That team was just sick. I don't think I've seen football played at a higher level.

:rolleyes:

Obviously, if I am referring to the salary cap ERA it is not in reference to the 80s Whiners. Maybe, I am talking about the Young' Whiners of the 90s that neckdemon referenced you dork. :rolleyes:

PFSIKH = :rl:

Archived