Will the Jets \ Pats game be blacked out in NY?

Maxman

Is this possible? I have been writing and half joking about this possibility for awhile, mostly in reference to 2010. But anyone who was at the game the other night vs the Eagles saw a LOT of ads about 2009 tickets.

The Jets won't say how many seats are left for 2009. I think it is safe to assume that if it is a small amount Woody would just "buy them" to save face and have the game be shown. A black out would hurt 2010 sales I think because people would be pissed even more and would realize they can live without the Jets.

What if there are 8,000 seats available? I am not saying there are or there will be but if the # is higher than the Jets are willing to purchase, is it actually possible that they will be blacked out locally?

Scary thought...what do you think?

im going to a handful of games but not this one. if it was blacked out im pretty sure there would be a flipping mutiny against woody and the jets.

blacking out games in the biggest market in the world, especially a game like this is absolutely rediculous.

I think there is a possibility a game will be blacked out i went to ticketmaster and requested 10 tickets just to see what happens that is the most u can request and to my shock 10 tickets were available in the same section same row all together i think it was section 337 row 21 seats 17-26 if i remember correctly but i do think the jets pats game will be sold out but i also think there will be a blackout later in the year if this team starts 2-6. If this happens woody would have to cancel the psl's cause if he doesnt blackouts will be the norm in 2010.

I would be utterly shocked if the game was blacked out. Stands will have more folks wearing red or blue instead of green then you are use to, but the game will sell out.

If the Jets have a blackout it will be later in the season when J-E-T-S spells Just End The Season, if the Jets are in in until the end there won't be a black out.

I hope there are blackouts this year. Because if what everyones saying is true, that they'll drop the PSL's next year - I'll be able to afford season tickets again. And since everyone lost their spot on the waiting list, Getting season tickets for just this year may have been the best thing I've ever done.

So long as it works like that.

you guys will be hearing of a lot more "free tickets to the Jets game!" ads on TV stations and radio stations...Miami has been doing this for years. No WAY does Woody let the Jets be blacked out....Also there will be a lot of poorer inner city youths watching football this year

but would it still be shown in the new york area

no, it won't happen Gr, as I said the media will buy up all the tickets so as NOT to let it. As bad as Miami has been for most of this decade we can't recall one instance when a game WAS blacked out-and you guys have seen the orange seats switching over to check the score. I'm sure the same would happen up in the Metropolitan Area.

I usually go to Stowe, VT in Oct. for a few days and plan it based on an away game. I can't tell you how many times I couldn't get the Jets game on TV - and I'm basically in NE. More often than not I'd get the Buffalo game, but blacking out a Jets game in NY? I can't see it. Heh.

If the Jets start out slow this could be a real problem towards the end of the season...Jets fans are notorious for not showing up when the team is bad, and that is when they already bought the tickets..imagine the ones that have not been sold...

Is this possible? I have been writing and half joking about this possibility for awhile, mostly in reference to 2010. But anyone who was at the game the other night vs the Eagles saw a LOT of ads about 2009 tickets.

The Jets won't say how many seats are left for 2009. I think it is safe to assume that if it is a small amount Woody would just "buy them" to save face and have the game be shown. A black out would hurt 2010 sales I think because people would be pissed even more and would realize they can live without the Jets.

What if there are 8,000 seats available? I am not saying there are or there will be but if the # is higher than the Jets are willing to purchase, is it actually possible that they will be blacked out locally?

Scary thought...what do you think?

Max, I believe I read two days ago that season tickets finally sold out this week, which leaves less than 5000 seats unsold per game.

According to the NFL Blackout rules, as long as this tickets are sold by 72 hours prior to kickoff, the game will be televised locally.

Another thing people don't realize is that preseason games are subject to blackout as well (neither Jags game was on locally) so if the preseason games were not blacked out I sincerely doubt a regular season game will be blacked out.

Max, I believe I read two days ago that season tickets finally sold out this week, which leaves less than 5000 seats unsold per game.

According to the NFL Blackout rules, as long as this tickets are sold by 72 hours prior to kickoff, the game will be televised locally.

Another thing people don't realize is that preseason games are subject to blackout as well (neither Jags game was on locally) so if the preseason games were not blacked out I sincerely doubt a regular season game will be blacked out.

The reported attendance for the Jets - Eagles game was: 73,597.

That puts them right around 5,000 seats unsold. But I believe they were unsold, so I am not sure why the game wasn't blacked out. I could be wrong but I don't think it was sold out.

Maybe the Jets gave the tickets away? Maybe that was the reason for the Jets Twitter ticket give away campaign? I don't know the answer, just speculating.

The reported attendance for the Jets - Eagles game was: 73,597.

That puts them right around 5,000 seats unsold. But I believe they were unsold, so I am not sure why the game wasn't blacked out. I could be wrong but I don't think it was sold out.

Maybe the Jets gave the tickets away? Maybe that was the reason for the Jets Twitter ticket give away campaign? I don't know the answer, just speculating.

I read on another blog (of questionable accuracy) that there are some slight differences in the accounting rules for pre-season and regular season blackouts that makes it easier for a team to avoid a pre-season black out. Not enough for a team like Jacksonville. It is not unheard of for a team to not blackout in the pre-season but to have a blackout in the season, particularly if the team fails to meet expectations.

Archived