Jet's aquire O'Connell from Lions

NYJ553

Per Rotoworld...

Jets acquired QB Kevin O'Connell from the Lions in exchange for undisclosed compensation.

Detroit did a nice job of getting something for nothing here; GM Martin Mayhew is using his No. 1 waiver priority wisely. From the Jets' perspective, the move may signal the end of the Kellen Clemens experiment. Erik Ainge was more productive in preseason games. O'Connell will likely be third string.

Rotoworld is reporting the Jets have made a deal with the Detroit Lions to acquire ex Patriot QB Kevin O'Connell. Whats up with this deal? Is a trade imminent to Denver who is supposedly shopping Marshall for a QB and next years #1 draft pick. Could Kellen Clemens be headed to Denver.

Why not this is the same team who traded Cutler for Orton and took D-Rob off our hands. Never say never.

If they wanted David Harris and a draft pick a couple days ago, they aren't going to say "Oh, ok...nevermind. We'll take Kellen Clemens and a draft pick instead!".

If they wanted David Harris and a draft pick a couple days ago, they aren't going to say "Oh, ok...nevermind. We'll take Kellen Clemens and a draft pick instead!".
They try not to look desperate, if they feell they are going to get nothing out of him, they'll take what they can get.

I'm not saying KC and a 1 will get him, but they are going to have to come down in their asking price, IMO.

They have no QB right now... and they did not say they wanted Harris... ESPN said they did...

Understood but I dont see any other team making a play for Marshall either. Denver im sure wants him gone by the opener. And Orton just got hurt and maybe the finger injury is worse than originally anticipated.

Just a thought.

It seems a team putting a claim in for a waived player shouldn't be doing it just to trade him. I'd like to see a 4-week no-trade period so teams have to be serious about pickup up a player off waivers. This isn't because of this specific move, but it made me aware of the practice and it seems a bit odd.

Just a thought.

It seems a team putting a claim in for a waived player shouldn't be doing it just to trade him. I'd like to see a 4-week no-trade period so teams have to be serious about pickup up a player off waivers. This isn't because of this specific move, but it made me aware of the practice and it seems a bit odd.

Why? A bottom feeder should be able to make such moves... there is a risk involved with picking up a player just to trade them if you cannot move them as well.

Why? A bottom feeder should be able to make such moves... there is a risk involved with picking up a player just to trade them if you cannot move them as well.

Because it allow for manipulation through collusion where a top team can make a deal with a bottom team to snag a guy ahead of one in between.

Extreme case: Say IND waives a player and PIT wants him. Is there any rule in place to prevent them from saying to DET "claim him and we'll pay you a 7th round pick for him tomorrow"? Maybe there is but it's probably impossible to prove anyway.

Because it allow for manipulation through collusion where a top team can make a deal with a bottom team to snag a guy ahead of one in between.

Extreme case: Say IND waives a player and PIT wants him. Is there any rule in place to prevent them from saying to DET "claim him and we'll pay you a 7th round pick for him tomorrow"? Maybe there is but it's probably impossible to prove anyway.

You make a good point.

And it is possible that the Jets worked out this deal in advance. However, being it doesn't happen very often I don't think it is much of a problem.

Kinda like when folks were calling for a change in the playoffs when an 11 team missed, if it starts happening on a regular basis we can discuss fixes, if it is a rare occurance then there is no reason to tweek.

You make a good point.

And it is possible that the Jets worked out this deal in advance. However, being it doesn't happen very often I don't think it is much of a problem.

Kinda like when folks were calling for a change in the playoffs when an 11 team missed, if it starts happening on a regular basis we can discuss fixes, if it is a rare occurance then there is no reason to tweek.

Agreed. It's not like superstars will be waived this way, but it does seem like it will eventually cause a stir if left unchecked. BTW, an 11-win team missing the playoffs bothered me a lot less last season than in the past for some odd reason :).

If they gave up anything more than a 7th round pick Tanny should be shot.

Rex must really want that playbook.

It has to be the playbook...but still think its not worth the pick...yeah...I know 7th rounders are pretty much worthless but they could have contacted Walter for the playbook.

This makes zero sense unless KC is traded and Ainge has some kind of injury...even then is O'Connell the best we could find?

Have you been watching this season? Ainge is pretty good and O'Connell got beat out by Brian Hoyer.

you mean this pre-season! yes Ainge is pretty good in a system he's been in for 2 yrs and against other teams 3rd string! And I wouldn't say O'Connell got "beat out" by anybody, simply the Pats have someone in mind (AJ Feeley?)

Archived