New England signs a 3rd QB...

:Typotux:

Stanback join Patriots as quarterback

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 6, 2009 11:26 PM ET

When Isaiah Stanback was drafted in the fourth round of the 2007 draft by the Cowboys, the team wasn't sure exactly what it had. But they were excited.

After two years of injuries and virtually no production from the former Washington quarterback-turned-receiver, the Cowboys quietly cut him Saturday in favor of undrafted rookie Kevin Ogletree.

Now he's got a new team and a new position.

The Patriots picked up Stanback for their practice squad, and they will let him exclusively focus at the quarterback position. For now, he's essentially the team's third quarterback behind Tom Brady and undrafted rookie Brian Hoyer.

There is a lot of speculation the Patriots will add a veteran arm to help out the situation, but New England has us guessing at this point. Which is just how they like it.

Stanback is a logical candidate for some Wildcat formation fun, but Patriots owner Robert Kraft didn't sound too enamored with the idea when the Michael Vick rumors reached his ears last month.

"We've got the No. 1 player at that position in the world as far as I'm concerned," Kraft said. "Why would we ever want to do anything that would take him off the field for one play?"

"We've got the No. 1 player at that position in the world as far as I'm concerned," Kraft said. "Why would we ever want to do anything that would take him off the field for one play?"

I don't know, Robert, maybe to give him a hummer behind the bleachers? Hell if we know what goes on behind closed doors.

Archived