Jets Preseason Power Ranking - Mike Florio - PFT.com

PS17

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/01/preseason-power-rankings-no-23/#comments

Preseason power rankings: No. 23

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2009 12:27 AM ET

At this time of year, the fans of every team can come up with a list of reasons for eventually transforming that 0-0 record into enough wins to qualify for the playoffs.

But the NFL is the ultimate zero-sum game. For every good team, there's a bad team. For every win, there's a loss.

For the New York Jets, the past two years have seen not enough wins and too many losses to justify an extension of the football season beyond 16 games.

Last season, back-to-back road wins at New England and Tennessee sparked talk of plans for playing both conference championship games at Giants Stadium. Indeed, at 8-3, the Jets looked to be in prime position to secure not only a postseason berth, but also a high seed.

The Jets then collapsed down the stretch, with ugly losses to the Broncos, 49ers, Seahawks, and Dolphins.

The outcome was bad enough to get coach Eric Mangini fired, but to save the job of G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, who foisted Brett Favre on Mangini in the middle of training camp.

This year, Tannenbaum made another big move at the quarterback position, jumping up a dozen spots to select USC signal-caller Mark Sanchez, who was groomed for the NFL by a man who was once fired by the Jets after only one year on the job.

And one more year might be all that Tannenbaum gets. Millions of dollars have been spent in an effort to compete with the Patriots in their own division, and with the Giants in their own backyard.

Some of the money (Dewayne Robertson Kris Jenkins, Darrelle Revis) was well spent. Some of it (Vernon Gholston, Favre) wasn't.

But while the roster is generally solid, holes remain. Laveranues Coles was given his freedom, and they now have only one established receiver. The offensive line is good but not great, and an untimely breakdown could prompt Sanchez to mimic Joe Namath, primarily in the knee area.

The team has a glut of quality running backs, arguably too many. It would have been sense to move Thomas Jones for help at receiver. Though it still might happen, it's far too late for a new wideout to walk in and make a difference.

So while the Jets managed to beat the Giants during their annual preseason encounter, they'll still be chasing the Patriots -- and they likely won't be catching them this year.

Key Player: Mark Sanchez. He'll be expected to perform like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco, without the benefit of the low expectations that come from leading a below-radar team. With little more than a year as a starter in college, the learning curve could be steep.

Rookie to watch: Sanchez. He's the highest-profile rookie that the Jets have had since Namath, and his ability to thrive in his first year will be critical to the continued employment of Tannenbaum -- and to the sale of PSLs at a stadium that opens next year.

Best veteran acquisition: Bart Scott. The former Ravens "mad" 'backer gives new coach Rex Ryan a rock on which to build the Jets defense. Plus, it's guaranteed that there will be at least one player who periodically says things more outlandish than the stuff that will come out of his coach's mouth.

Key game: Week Two, vs. New England. Ryan already has ramped up the rivalry by proclaiming that he won't be kissing Bill Belichick's rings. And so Belichick will be looking to kick Ryan's ass at every opportunity. With games against the Texans and Titans on each side of the first game against the Pats, the Jets could start the Ryan era at 0-3, if they can't beat New England at home.

*Note how Florio said D-Fat was money well spent. Clown.

Key game: Week Two, vs. New England. Ryan already has ramped up the rivalry by proclaiming that he won't be kissing Bill Belichick's rings. And so Belichick will be looking to kick Ryan's ass at every opportunity.

So if Ryan hadn't said anything about kissing Belichick's rings, Belichick wouldn't be even attempting to beat the Jets?

Every time a reporter offers commentary on this they look dumber and dumber.

Well D-Fat did at least start for us for like 5-6 years. I can't really argue with his ranking, we are very much an unknown team at this point and their isn't much that can make one really argue we will be one of the top half teams in the league.

My only argument in his rankings is I believe he had the Bills ranked ahead of us but that was written before they fired Schonert and how much disarray they are in really hit most people in the country.

The offensive line is good but not great, and an untimely breakdown could prompt Sanchez to mimic Joe Namath, primarily in the knee area.

The team has a glut of quality running backs, arguably too many. It would have been sense to move Thomas Jones for help at receiver. Though it still might happen, it's far too late for a new wideout to walk in and make a difference.

Our OL is good not great...o.k.

We have too many RB's? 3 Rb's is arguably too many? And if we did traded TJ for a WR, we would then be running with Leon and a rookie.

Terrible article, horrible research, all around just not a very good breakdown of this team.

We have too many RB's? 3 Rb's is arguably too many? And if we did traded TJ for a WR, we would then be running with Leon and a rookie.

Terrible article, horrible research, all around just not a very good breakdown of this team.

That was more a build up of him ripping us for trading our picks for Shonne Greene instead of using picks to get a WR or depth which he has being doing all year since the draft.

I really don't understand why you guys get so pissed off about Florio. He never claims to be some football expert, he's just a fan who started a blog and has lots of connections with front office sources. The fact you all get so worked up about it is pretty laughable. PFT is a good site to find out what current news is going on in the NFL, not all of it ends up happening but Florio never acts like his word is the truth.

That was more a build up of him ripping us for trading our picks for Shonne Greene instead of using picks to get a WR or depth which he has being doing all year since the draft.

I really don't understand why you guys get so pissed off about Florio. He never claims to be some football expert, he's just a fan who started a blog and has lots of connections with front office sources. The fact you all get so worked up about it is pretty laughable. PFT is a good site to find out what current news is going on in the NFL, not all of it ends up happening but Florio never acts like his word is the truth.

If NBC sports wasn't touting Florio's blog as some kind of "insider" site I wouldn't mind so much.

I also wouldn't mind if I hadn't seen mine and EY's and CTM's and RutgersJetfan's and BergenJet's and JiF's and many other's post quoted almost verbatim as "anonymous sources" on PFT so many times.

Who's getting worked up?

Its a horrible article, a terrible write up, and its clear he gave no thought into this post, blog or whatever it is he does.

I could care less about the guy. His terrible article was posted, so I gave my criticisms...which IMO are just and this guy just wrote and posted a terrible article.

Just look at it again buddy, our OLine is good, not great. O.K? I would say we are little better then good with potentially 3 probowlers on that unit.

We have too many Rb's? I have actually never heard anything likes this before. We are carrying 3 Rb's and thats too many. Now if he would have said Qb's or CB's, I would have agreed. Rex has already said we are gonig to pound the rock.

Drob was money well spent? Where the F does this come from?

Sorry to offend you....but this was a terrible article.

Who's getting worked up?

Its a horrible article, a terrible write up, and its clear he gave no thought into this post, blog or whatever it is he does.

I could care less about the guy. His terrible article was posted, so I gave my criticisms...which IMO are just and this guy just wrote and posted a terrible article.

Just look at it again buddy, our OLine is good, not great. O.K? I would say we are little better then good with potentially 3 probowlers on that unit.

We have too many Rb's? I have actually never heard anything likes this before. We are carrying 3 Rb's and thats too many. Now if he would have said Qb's or CB's, I would have agreed. Rex has already said we are gonig to pound the rock.

Drob was money well spent? Where the F does this come from?

Sorry to offend you....but this was a terrible article.

That comment wasn't really about that article but a more of a general statement about this forums from whenever PFT is brought up. If Klecko's post is true I would understand it a lot more. I'm not really offended or care about the article at all.

So if Ryan hadn't said anything about kissing Belichick's rings, Belichick wouldn't be even attempting to beat the Jets?

Every time a reporter offers commentary on this they look dumber and dumber.

Apparently that's true. Damn! I hate losing out on a guarenteed win. :biggrin:

DRob was pretty bad during his years here. I understand some people want to defend him a little but lets not forget how much our D changed as soon as Jenkins stepped in. And I remember reading how people were wondering how Jenkins would fill in as an NT when he played DT all his life.

Jenkins is what made this defense respectable again.

DRob was pretty bad during his years here. I understand some people want to defend him a little but lets not forget how much our D changed as soon as Jenkins stepped in. And I remember reading how people were wondering how Jenkins would fill in as an NT when he played DT all his life.

Jenkins is what made this defense respectable again.

D-Rob was complete sh*t in the 3-4 but he wasn't drafted to be a NT. We drafted him when we ran a 4-3 and he was never amazing but he wasn't bad as a 4-3 DT.

:shock: If that's true I'd rather read something Klecko or JiF writes. They have more common sense.

If NBC sports wasn't touting Florio's blog as some kind of "insider" site I wouldn't mind so much.

I also wouldn't mind if I hadn't seen mine and EY's and CTM's and RutgersJetfan's and BergenJet's and JiF's and many other's post quoted almost verbatim as "anonymous sources" on PFT so many times.

Wow....your ego has no bounds.

It may not be easy being green, but being an egotistical maniac is. :)

LOL!

Wow....your ego has no bounds.

It may not be easy being green, but being an egotistical maniac is. :)

LOL!

Ego has nothing to do with it. I am sick of a guy who knows nothing more than the rest of us, you included, being treated as some kind of expert with inside info when nothing could be further from the truth.

Oh, and I've also seen TX quoted in Florio's blog so there's a Pats fan he's quoted in addition to the five Jets fans I mentioned other than myself.

Ego has nothing to do with it. I am sick of a guy who knows nothing more than the rest of us, you included, being treated as some kind of expert with inside info when nothing could be further from the truth.

Oh, and I've also seen TX quoted in Florio's blog so there's a Pats fan he's quoted in addition to the five Jets fans I mentioned other than myself.

You're pissed about how other people perceive someone? He really has not control over that and he never tries to claim to be an expert so maybe you should calm down a bit with the hate. I highly doubt he scours every teams fans message boards for info, he clearly has connections and he is generally a very good read when it comes to legal issues in the NFL.

You're pissed about how other people perceive someone? He really has not control over that and he never tries to claim to be an expert so maybe you should calm down a bit with the hate. I highly doubt he scours every teams fans message boards for info, he clearly has connections and he is generally a very good read when it comes to legal issues in the NFL.

Really? You've obviously never heard this jackass on the radio or seen him on NFL Network or apparently on NBC Sports as they are now touting PFT as their "insider" football site.

Really? You've obviously never heard this jackass on the radio or seen him on NFL Network or apparently on NBC Sports as they are now touting PFT as their "insider" football site.

Have you read PFT? He insults his so called expertise more than any of the running jokes he does. Insider would mean inside info, which would mean he gets info from sources on teams which would be true. It doesn't mean Florio is an expert and that would also be an issue you have with NBC not Florio.

it's true. we have a good o-line. it's not great.

Former probowler playing at a high level at RT.

Moore is a very good LG.

Mangold might be the best Center in the league and our best offensive player.

Faneca is one of the best RG in the league...though his pass blocking isnt great, he is still elite in the run game.

Brick is a stud, who I predict to have a probowl year.

If we are not "great", we are better than good...and untill our D says otherwise, OLine is the strength of this team.

I don't see how he is any different than we are. Many of us post with purpose - and I'm sure we stand by our convictions. However, winning your fantasy football league once, watching the NFL channel and attending 4 games a year doesn't necessarily make one an expert.

I've seen a local tv sporst show host use material I've seen on Patsfans.com. So what. Good luck, hackorama...

Former probowler playing at a high level at RT.

Moore is a very good LG.

Mangold might be the best Center in the league and our best offensive player.

Faneca is one of the best RG in the league...though his pass blocking isnt great, he is still elite in the run game.

Brick is a stud, who I predict to have a probowl year.

If we are not "great", we are better than good...and untill our D says otherwise, OLine is the strength of this team.

Fine except Moore is RG and Faneca is LG.

disagree. this is the best Jets OL we've seen since the WInston Hill days.

total 4 first rounders, of that 2 current pro bowl starters, 1 pro bowl alternate, and Brandon Moore, maybe the strongest Jet in the weight room. plus their OL coach has head coaching experience at Oakland and Nebraska, and is known as one of the league's better OL coaches.

it's better than good or great. it's dominant, possibly best in the league (No exaggeration). all they need is more time to play together.

total 4 first rounders, of that 2 current pro bowl starters, 1 pro bowl alternate, and Brandon Moore, maybe the strongest Jet in the weight room.

it's better than good or great. it's dominant, possibly best in the league (No exaggeration). all they need is more time to play together.

Agreed, it may be the best line in the league.

Some of the money (Dewayne Robertson Kris Jenkins, Darrelle Revis) was well spent. Some of it (Vernon Gholston, Favre) wasn't.

Everyone's jumping all over this, but I'm willing to bet he meant D'Brick, not Dewayne.

Although I don't think D'Brick is worth the money either...

total 4 first rounders, of that 2 current pro bowl starters, 1 pro bowl alternate, and Brandon Moore, maybe the strongest Jet in the weight room. plus their OL coach has head coaching experience at Oakland and Nebraska, and is known as one of the league's better OL coaches.

This Jets OL is not a dominant OL. A dominant OL gets one yard on will alone, this line can't do that. Mangold's elite, but no one else on the line is. This is a very good group -which is nice to have- but that's it.

This Jets OL is not a dominant OL. A dominant OL gets one yard on will alone, this line can't do that. Mangold's elite, but no one else on the line is. This is a very good group -which is nice to have- but that's it.

Agreed. The Giants have a dominant OLine. Who watched the Giants punch the Ravens in the mouth last year? They threw that elite defense around like a rag doll. THAT is a dominant/elite/whatever you wanna call it OLine.

Archived