Got Blackouts?

ECURB

That's the new Stadium. You should have posted a pic of Giants Stadium.

Why are Jets season ticket holders not renewing their tickets for the last season in the Meadowlands? The tickets are cheap.

well, other than the people hit hard by the economy, losing jobs, taking pay cuts, I would say a lot of people feel if they won't be able to get seasons in the new joint next year, why invest in them this year.

That's the new Stadium. You should have posted a pic of Giants Stadium.

Why are Jets season ticket holders not renewing their tickets for the last season in the Meadowlands? The tickets are cheap.

People are backing out of season tix and just picking and choosing games... no sense in holding on to them when your going to dump them in a year...

In the past you bite the bullet and buy the entire season knowing you can only make half the games but you do it so that you do not loose your seats... now that does not matter... anyone can go to any game...

lol.....no 55 miles south about. if i went down past forked river i'd probably be ok i guess. idk if there are any good bars in the waretown/barnegat area though.

You could still come closer.

You only need to be 3 miles south of Lakewood, that's 75 miles away & out of the blackout restricitons.

-OR-

To the west: anywhere 5 miles beyond Nazareth/Palmer, PA

To the north: anywhere 2 miles beyond New Paltz, NY

Or somewhere in the mid atlantic.

I've paid the PSL (or what ever it is) for 2010. Still, the NFL doesn't get that they are taking it to the little guy. And recall the "big businessman" mortgage broker jerkoff(and is there any other kind of mortgage broker?but I digress) who won the ticket auction is now off to court and probably jail. NOBODY with functioning grey matter in this economy is buying top end tickets. I know for a fact that one of these NFL teams balked at buying it's old spot at the new Yankee Stadium. It's like they won't even take their own advice. The economy sucks,and they still don't get it.

Expect the NFL will redfine "blackout" for the NY market rather than admit that their ambitous and greedy new stadium plan was a huge mistake. Note that luxury boxes unsold are not the basis for a blackout. Also, they will sell out games a few days before. Watch Woody Johnson (or some "anonymous philanthropist") buy big blocks of tickets the week of given games and give them to local civic groups, and CBS or what ever network is showing a specific game, to do the same.

But one thing that's really underreported-watching football at home is more and more a better option. You probably have an HDTV-like almost half of Americans do. You are on your couch with you laptop, your family, your friends. You can cook or order what ever you want. You don't have to worry about DWI, nor rain nor snow nor heat nor cold. And your view is always better, with video replays and announcement that tell you why player X is out of the game. Joe Theissmann no longer does games.

All this is just as true if I go to one of the local gin mills within walking or stumbling distance to my house. And there, no one is charging me $9 for piss warm beer. The NFL wants to seperate you from your currency as quickly as possible. This new stadium has always been about money. The NFL, Johnson, Tisch and the Maras looked over those tailgate fires and were burned they got nothing from them more than a big parking fee(which will also go up). So we'll be herded into what is essentially an overpriced overcrowded bad mall chain restaurant come 2010.

Jerry Jones decries that the NFL is becoming a "studio sport". And then puts a huge ass HDTV that interferes with play to have his 100K plus crowd watch the game on the TV rather than the game underneath said TV. That ios the definition of re-Godamned-diculous.

Given how much better it can be at home,it's a wonder people go at all. The traffic has and always will be a total pain in the ass. I love the Jets, but the main reason to go is to enjoy the company of friends. But it's coming clsoe to being easier to meet up elsewhere or go to each other's homes than get ripped off.

You only need to be 3 miles south of Lakewood, that's 75 miles away & out of the blackout restricitons.

-OR-

yeah? lakewood? maybe you're right but i'm right north of lakewood and mapquest says i'm 55 miles away. must be a decent sports bar in toms river or bayville somewhere.

-OR-

Where is the 75 miles based from?

the 50 yard line.

If it is from the stadium I am over 75 miles away... but I watch the games on CBS2 NY... will that network just be blacked out in general?

This is stupid that it might even be an issue... complete bull****.

If it is from the stadium I am over 75 miles away... but I watch the games on CBS2 NY... will that network just be blacked out in general?

This is stupid that it might even be an issue... complete bull****.

My understanding is ..... For over the air transmissions it the station being 75 miles away. For cable and directv it is the tv being 75 miles away. But if CBS2 in NY is showing another game and that is who you watch it on with cable...then I would assume you are screwed.

But the only time I lived with 75 miles of a football stadium none of the game blacked out.

But I really doubt it will come to that. You know I am no Jets homer. But I can't see the Jets games not selling out unless the Jets suck really bad....I mean Lions last year bad or Raiders bad.

This is somthing.....

NFL partially waives blackout rule

Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2009 10:35 AM ET

Though the NFL has consistently said that it won't lift the rule preventing games that aren't sold out from being televised in the local market, the league has made a major concession in this regard.

All blacked out games will be available in the local markets on a tape-delayed basis, via NFL.com.

The free "re-broadcasts" (as the league is calling them) will be accessible at midnight on the game of the game, and they will remain available for 72 hours.

The re-broadcasts will not be available during the Monday Night Football broadcast.

Also, the Red Zone Channel on DirecTV and the similar NFL RedZone product that has been purchased by Dish Network, Comcast, and other providers will include look-ins featuring the blacked-out games. This means that folks who have the Red Zone Channel or NFL RedZone in the markets where the games won't be shown will be able to see snippets of the game long before midnight.

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a release. "These free re-broadcasts on NFL.com will allow our fans that can't get to a blacked-out game an opportunity to see the entire game."

Though some will still claim that the NFL should remove the blackout rule entirely, the significance of this concession should not be underestimated. The league zealously guards its game footage; the fact that the NFL is willing to re-broadcast the blacked-out games via NFL.com at no charge represents an unprecedented gesture.

Meanwhile, we predict that a rash of fans in the blacked-out markets will be avoiding all forms of media until midnight, at which time they can watch the game involving the home team as if it's happening live.

This is somthing.....

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a release.

This is the problem right here, Goodell is a nitwit with blinders on. Has the economy had an impact on tickets sales? Yes, to an extent especially on the high end seats. The biggest impact however, comes from having an overpriced product that essentially amounts to a rip off, especially when PSL's are involved. People do not like to get ripped off and the only way to fight back is to not buy the product, which is what is happening now. Football was a money printing enterprise for many years, but they have pushed people to the point where there are diminishing returns on the money laid out. Greed is going to drive football into the ground.

Can't you order the Sunday Ticket and watch it online even if it's blacked out in your area?

**** that, it will still be blacked out and they want $400 plus dollars to watch it online.

IIRC, if you have Sunday Ticket and you are not in the NY area, you can still get the game (from the New England feed, for example).

Or am I wrong here?

Archived