Got Blackouts?

ECURB

IIRC, if you have Sunday Ticket and you are not in the NY area, you can still get the game (from the New England feed, for example).

Or am I wrong here?

I just realized it doesn't matter for me, I live in Ft Lauderdale so none of the Jets games are going to be blacked out and I go to the Jets Fin game but I still don't want to have to order DTV which I can't use at my apt and then pay for the Sunday Ticket and then pay for the Super Fan. If they had a price just for the online Sunday Ticket I'd do it.

IIRC, if you have Sunday Ticket and you are not in the NY area, you can still get the game (from the New England feed, for example).

Or am I wrong here?

Games are only blacked out within a 75-mile radius. If you live anywhere outside 75 miles, you can see the game on Sunday Ticket.

What's really funny about that is my boss's neighbor's billing address for Direct TV is in Tennessee even though he lives in Jacksonville and two years ago when the Jags game was blacked out, he could see the game but my boss, who's billing address is Jacksonvile, could not.

Games are only blacked out within a 75-mile radius. If you live anywhere outside 75 miles, you can see the game on Sunday Ticket.

Gotcha, thanks Kleck.

I just realized it doesn't matter for me, I live in Ft Lauderdale so none of the Jets games are going to be blacked out and I go to the Jets Fin game but I still don't want to have to order DTV which I can't use at my apt and then pay for the Sunday Ticket and then pay for the Super Fan. If they had a price just for the online Sunday Ticket I'd do it.

Ditto for me (I'm in IL)...since they won't be blacked out I can still see them, but I'll be heading to a bar or a buddy's house because there's no way I'm paying $400 a month for Sunday Ticket.

couldn't the jets just decide to give the tickets away for free? like to a charity or something?

Yes and no. Woody can buy the tickets and then give them away.

"Wait" you say, "buy them? He already owns them."

Yes and no. For the purpose of both computing revenue sharing and the salary cap the tickets that given away are treated as "revenue." So it would cost him some money to give away the tickets.

Owners do often do this with the military being the most common recipiants of the donations. But only if the number is close. If the stadium is 100 tickets shy of being sold out -- absolutely. 5000 tickets shy -- probably not.

Owners do often do this with the military being the most common recipiants of the donations. But only if the number is close. If the stadium is 100 tickets shy of being sold out -- absolutely. 5000 tickets shy -- probably not.

There is also the question of ad revenue...I've heard there's a chance that some corporation (or even CBS themselves) will buy the tickets so they can run the ads they want in the NY area.

There is also the question of ad revenue...I've heard there's a chance that some corporation (or even CBS themselves) will buy the tickets so they can run the ads they want in the NY area.

What also doesn't hurt is that the Jets generate big local ratings for WCBS so it actually behooves the network to buy up the tickets and carry the game as they lose significant ad revenue if they don't air it.

What also doesn't hurt is that the Jets generate big local ratings for WCBS so it actually behooves the network to buy up the tickets and carry the game as they lose significant ad revenue if they don't air it.

Exactly...I know nothing about TV or advertising, but it seems like they'd lose a lot more money in NY blacking out the Jets game and switching to, say, Jacksonville @ Indy than they would just buying up a thousand or so tickets and showing the game.

That certainly would be a possiblity as well. Either one requires that the number of unsold tickets be realitively small. Have a blackout out over 11 tickets -- no effing way. Buy 5000 tickets to avoid one -- cost prohibitive.

I really would be surprised if the Jets have a blackout this year.

Yes and no. The price for the ads is pretty much set. And many football fans would just watch whatever game is aired if for nothing else the cut in hightlights of the Jets game.

Yes and no. The price for the ads is pretty much set. And many football fans would just watch whatever game is aired if for nothing else the cut in hightlights of the Jets game.

Having experienced blackouts in Jacksonville, there is no guarantee they will show a game at all. Most weeks the Jags were blacked out in the past there was no game on in it's place.

And the price for the local ads is not set, it is completely market driven. In NY this is significant as they know the Jets will get better ratings than any game they could show in its place as on Jets bye weeks in the past the CBS rating for whatever game shown in its place are significantly lower than what the Jets draw. During a typical NFL game, there is approximately 1 hour of advertising, one-third of that is local. Ad rates for the Jets and Giants on CBS and Fox in NY are the highest in the league.

Having experienced blackouts in Jacksonville, there is no guarantee they will show a game at all. Most weeks the Jags were blacked out in the past there was no game on in it's place.

And the price for the local ads is not set, it is completely market driven. In NY this is significant as they know the Jets will get better ratings than any game they could show in its place as on Jets bye weeks in the past the CBS rating for whatever game shown in its place are significantly lower than what the Jets draw. During a typical NFL game, there is approximately 1 hour of advertising, one-third of that is local. Ad rates for the Jets and Giants on CBS and Fox in NY are the highest in the league.

good info Kleck. it would really suck if they blacked out the games

didn't see this posted

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4462104

Blacked-out games available online

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free -- though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during "Monday Night Football."

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The Bengals and Cardinals each received 24-hour extensions Thursday as the teams tried to sell out their openers and avoid blackouts. Cincinnati plays the Denver Broncos and Arizona faces the San Francisco 49ers.

The defending NFC champion Cardinals said they had about 1,700 tickets remaining. They have sold out all 34 games played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which opened in 2006. But last January the team needed two extensions from the league to sell out its first home playoff game in Arizona.

The Bengals are coming off a 4-11-1 season that left many fans disgruntled about the direction of the franchise, which has one winning season in the last 18 years. The last time Cincinnati failed to sell out a game was November 2003.

1,700 seats ? at $100 per, that's 170,000

if a player put that up and donated the seats to charity he would make it back in endorsements down the line, have a nice deduction, and never pay for a meal in that city again

Just got an email from the Jets that only 50 season ticket seats are available. Somehow, I don't believe this.

It is possible but it does not account for the seats they broke up already and are not available for all 8 games...

Just got an email from the Jets that only 50 season ticket seats are available. Somehow, I don't believe this.

Down here in Houston they offer us a chance to get on 'the waiting list' every year.

I'm a season ticket holder (non psl) & am getting sick of the NFL's greed.

Parking going from $10 to $18 in 3 years, as well as the ticket price creeping up - I'd hate to think what might happen when we ever make a playoff appearance!

Hoping for a good game Sunday, unfortunately that will include you guys coming out on the losing end.

You can still get 10 seats together, section 338, Row 24 - $1,012.50.

What a bargain!!!!

Aren't we within 72 hours before kickoff?

Game is not blacked out.

Two most likely possibilities.

1. Exempt tickets...eg return from the Patriots.

2. Woody/CBS/someonelse bought them to avoid the blackout...but are still trying to sell them before game day to recup costs instead of eating it.

Game is not blacked out.

2. Woody/CBS/someonelse bought them to avoid the blackout...but are still trying to sell them before game day to recup costs instead of eating it.

where do you get the blackout info?

Game is not blacked out.

Exactly, it is # 2 though.

Someone has committed to buying all the seats that is why there is no rumbling about this. They did a pretty good job of covering it up actually.

6 days to go, can still buy 10 seats together for Sunday's home opener.

Section: 339

Row: 12

Seats: 5 - 14

Price Level 4

UPPER LEVEL SEATING

Cost: $101.25/seat.

:bag:

Two days left and you can still get 10 seats in a row. I'm sure it won't be blacked out, but there will be empty seats.

Section

Row

Seats

Description

15 - 24

Price Level 4

UPPER LEVEL SEATING

Type

FULL PRICE TICKET

Ticket Price

US $90.00 x 10

icn_close.gifPrice Details