****TITANS vs. STEELERS Official Game Thread****

PS17

"10. NFL -- Heads we win, tails you lose. For such a detail-oriented league that demands perfection, from how players wear their socks to constantly tweaking rules, to leave the overtime system as is remains a mystery.

Last season the system left Peyton Manning's Colts and Tom Brady's Patriots out of the Super Bowl race. The Patriots, you'll recall, lost a 34-31 regular-season game to the Jets, with Brett Favre leading his team to the winning field goal on the extra period's first possession. Patriots backup Matt Cassel, subbing for the injured Brady, could only watch from the sideline and the 11-5 Pats eventually missed the playoffs by a single game"

wtf - OMG BECAUSE IT'S BRADY AND PEYTON WE MUST EXTEND THE OVERTIME RULE!@!@!@

basically it's like going 1/2 an extra inning in baseball, no last licks for the home team if the away team scores first

is that fair ?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
basically it's like going 1/2 an extra inning in baseball, no last licks for the home team if the away team scores first

is that fair ?

no

it's more like going to an extra 1/2 inning in baseball for which team wins the coin toss

they had 60 minutes of football to settle it earlier

The OT rule I would like best is the team that recieves the ball first can not kick a field goal on its first possession, it must score a TD to win the game on its first possession. The kicking team can kick a field goal and the intial team that recieved the kick off can kick a field goal on any subsequent possession.

The team that wins the coin toss may elect to kick the ball instead of recieve the ball.

Now if you are thinking it might be advantageous to be the kicking team instead of the recieving team, but are unsure...well then we have a fair overtime rule, don't we?

I say, play a full period of football (or a shorter 10-minute period) until completion. The team that scored the most in OT wins. If the game remains tied after that, it goes into the books as a tie game.

I think the coin flip issue is a bit overrated, however. The team that wins the coin flip is not always the winner; in fact its about 50/50 the last time I saw numbers on it. SOME teams still play defense, after all.

Archived