Will the Texans run right at Gholston?

::GoJets:

Will the Texans run right at Gholston?

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 11, 2009 2:07 PM ET

With Jets linebacker Calvin Pace suspended (not to mention defensive end Shaun Ellis), Rex Ryan isn't playing with a full deck in his first game as Jets head coach.

So Ryan is forced to turn to a wild card: last year's first-round pick Vernon Gholston. Despite some numbers in the preseason, most folks around the Jets aren't convinced Gholston is up to the challenge.

New York Daily News writer Rich Cimini expects the Texans to run right at Gholston, who struggled in the preseason to shed blocks and show natural football instincts. (Which is somewhat important when you are, um, a professional football player.)

Matt Schaub has declared himself ready for the season opener, but we have suspicion that Florio favorite Steve Slaton will be a bigger key in the game. And the presence of Gholston may make life a lot easier on the entire Houston running game.

They will not only run at him they might audible to do it, Vern will have the chance to show he is not the bust many make him out to be. I remember M Williams on the other team called a bust, booed, and labeled all before he became the rusher he is.

Look Vern's got the coaching and the work in, he's got to show it on the field these next 4 games because if he don't Rex will bench his ass and put in the undrafted guy. After Sunday we will know where Vern's at and I think we will like the results.

He gets a sack this Sunday

I think year will be good for him.

They will not only run at him they might audible to do it, Vern will have the chance to show he is not the bust many make him out to be. I remember M Williams on the other team called a bust, booed, and labeled all before he became the rusher he is.

Look Vern's got the coaching and the work in, he's got to show it on the field these next 4 games because if he don't Rex will bench his ass and put in the undrafted guy. After Sunday we will know where Vern's at and I think we will like the results.

He gets a sack this Sunday

I think year will be good for him.

If he showed he could make plays against the 3rd and 4th teams during pre season I'd agree with you but I really think we're in for a long couple of games until Pace gets back.

I'm guessing they're not going to run at Jenkins, Scott and Harris. They should move Harris to the outside and VG to the inside so they have to get though Jenkins before VG has to do anything.

Then all they have to do is lob the ball over the middle to the TE while Gholston is running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

So are you saying that I'm completely wrong and that Gholston's strength is his spectacular pass coverage? :roll:

Dude, he's just gonna get in front of the receiver and FLEEEEEXXXX those guns, the receiver will just be stopped dead in his tracks in awe of his stunning physique. It's a pacifistic defensive technique.

if you think Rex Ryan and Pettine haven't made a game plan for the fact that Ellis and Pace are out, and at the same time, that they have this unproven talented pass rusher, then....

THINK AGAIN!!!

You haven't seen anything with regards to the complex blitz packages of Rexxxyy, there is going to be so much movement before the snap of the ball that the Texans aren't going to be able to key in on where anyone will line up. Also, expect Bart Scott to basically play/blitz right behind Gholston and have Harris play man coverage on the Tight End, Daniels.

Gholston will get his first sack by the 3rd Quarter.

And even funnier, some people will find a way to diminish the good game that I KNOW he is going to have. Much more importantly however, is Kris Jenkins. Our defense goes as far as Jenkins can carry us.

if you think Rex Ryan and Pettine haven't made a game plan for the fact that Ellis and Pace are out, and at the same time, that they have this unproven talented pass rusher, then....

THINK AGAIN!!!

You haven't seen anything with regards to the complex blitz packages of Rexxxyy, there is going to be so much movement before the snap of the ball that the Texans aren't going to be able to key in on where anyone will line up. Also, expect Bart Scott to basically play/blitz right behind Gholston and have Harris play man coverage on the Tight End, Daniels.

Gholston will get his first sack by the 3rd Quarter.

And even funnier, some people will find a way to diminish the good game that I KNOW he is going to have. Much more importantly however, is Kris Jenkins. Our defense goes as far as Jenkins can carry us.

You got lotto numbers to go with that crystal ball of yours?

Archived