Is it ever too early to teach sportsmanship?

Alk

So tonight was my son's first flag football game of the season. I'm one of the coaches. It was a pretty even game when the opposing coaches son broke one and took it to the house. As he hits the goalline he leaps and does a somersault into the endzone. Me and our other coach just look at eachother in disbelief. Then I hear this kid's dad chuckling on the sideline. Freakin' incredible. This is just a few days after I chewed my son's a$$ for highstepping into the endzone on a drill in practice. Am I overreacting here or is this just plain ridiculous? Even some of our kids looked at me and asked why that wasn't a penalty.

Why can't kids celebrate and enjoy themselves?

You can enjoy yourself and show good sportsmanship at the same time without being a complete attention whore. I told my son that he could pull that crap if and when he's making millions in the NFL.

This is f#cking flag football not the NFL you f#cking douchebag.

Welcome to youth sports. I was coaching fall baseball a few years back and had a kid like that on my team. He was at 3rd and we were beating the undefeated team 6-3 in the 5th (only 6 inning games). This kid told the other coach that he "better mail this one in". Well the other team came back and beat us. These kids watch pro sports and follow these guys. The only kid you can control is your own. If you want to keep him from celebrating then stop him from scoring and/or beat him.

He's 8 and they don't start tackle football here until the 3rd. grade.

Softies up there, starts at 5 down here. I can't wait to have a kid for this reason only. I'll have the mega camera, talk about little Jbro like hes in the NFL.

PeeWee football was the ****. Weigh ins and stuff. It was so legit. There would be more fans at those games then some highschool games.

So tonight was my son's first flag football game of the season. I'm one of the coaches. It was a pretty even game when the opposing coaches son broke one and took it to the house. As he hits the goalline he leaps and does a somersault into the endzone. Me and our other coach just look at eachother in disbelief. Then I hear this kid's dad chuckling on the sideline. Freakin' incredible. This is just a few days after I chewed my son's a$$ for highstepping into the endzone on a drill in practice. Am I overreacting here or is this just plain ridiculous? Even some of our kids looked at me and asked why that wasn't a penalty.

I can't responded to this post due to recent restrictions on what I am allowed to post.

The irony of a guy who spends his time trolling another teams message board looking to irritate their fans getting upset when his son gets his nose rubbed in it a bit is pretty priceless.

:rl::rl::rl:

Seriously though... where I am from that is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty... I am torn on the issue... a little is fine... it is exciting to score.

The irony of a guy who spends his time trolling another teams message board looking to irritate their fans getting upset when his son gets his nose rubbed in it a bit is pretty priceless.

Well there's a shock. A guy who can't seperate the internet from real life. I'm not looking to irritate anybody. I got along with pretty much everybody just fine until the JI rejects showed up.

And to answer your question about the dancing. Tell your kid to remember how it feels and thats why you should never do it to anyone else. High Five your teammates on the way back to the sideline/huddle. Thats all.

It's not even about my kid. He didn't even care. He did know it was wrong but it didn't upset him in the least. It just baffled me that this kid's dad was over there chuckling about it when I would have set my son out for the rest of the game for pulling that.

It's not even about my kid. He didn't even care. He did know it was wrong but it didn't upset him in the least. It just baffled me that this kid's dad was over there chuckling about it when I would have set my son out for the rest of the game for pulling that.

Thats when you meet the guy in the parking lot.

Assuming he was a NE fan aswell, it would have been like a cripple fight.

That's an incredible story. The other coach must be a real winner , too bad his kid will wind up paying for it later in life. I'd complain or at least mention it to the league board or whoever. At Grant's age there is no call for for this kind of crap. I wonder if snapperhead would be chuckling if his kid broke his neck doing the somersault. ;)

They're kids. I've been highstepping for ages. I played on tons of teams, both organized and disorganized and I never had a problem with a little hotdogging, as long as it wasn't directly aimed at another player. The real problem is that it's the coaches kid. He's probably the only one that should know better.

I see your point Dom but I NEVER allowed any of my kids I coached to do it. It really never was a problem. I told them what my old coach told me "Act like you've been there before" .

Well there's a shock. A guy who can't seperate the internet from real life. I'm not looking to irritate anybody. I got along with pretty much everybody just fine until the JI rejects showed up.

You're here to talk down about the Jets, that's what you do. This is not about getting along, contrary to what you think, I don't really have a problem with you, or what you do, but face reality, your hobby is to be obnoxious. Regardless of the whether it's the internet or real life, if you're going to spoil people's fun, in this case by always finding something negative to say about their favorite football team, which they care enough about to spend their time posting and reading about on a daily basis, even all offseason, heed your own advice and toughen up.

depends......my son plays flag but he just turned 5, it's only instructional and they don't keep score. over here they start tackle at 7 but even that league (tiny-mites) is instructional and i don't think they keep score. once they hit mighty-mites which is 8 and 9 year olds.....things change. excessive celebration is definitely not something i'd think they should let occur at games like this though. but like someone said...that's the culture the nfl is breeding.

u r right to be pissed. its society. Kids learn from what they see and if its tolerated by parents they continue it. Parents make same mistake by always giving kids footballs, nba jerseys , ball caps etc , as opposed to the occasional astronomy book, chemistry set, trip to a historical site like Gettysburg etc etc.

You reap what you sow.

That's an incredible story. The other coach must be a real winner , too bad his kid will wind up paying for it later in life. I'd complain or at least mention it to the league board or whoever. At Grant's age there is no call for for this kind of crap. I wonder if snapperhead would be chuckling if his kid broke his neck doing the somersault. ;)

Oh he is. I've played softball against the guy and he's something else. It just pi$$es me off because he's raising his kid to be the same exact way. On one play his kid broke it to the outside and Grant pulled his flag. He fell on the ground and you could see the tears welling up. Then he looked up at the ref and told him that his head was tingling. He does that crap all the time when things don't go his way.

Thats funny, but Alk's right. That should be a penalty. At this age, playing fotball should be just as much about learning sportsmanship and how to be a part of a team as it is about just having fun playing the game. When I played little league 100 years ago, it was a against the rules to spike the ball. And it was a good rule.

I'd've spoken to the coach/dad after the game, and told him what I thought about that display.

Am I overreacting here or is this just plain ridiculous? Even some of our kids looked at me and asked why that wasn't a penalty.

I'm with you Alk. BS on encouraging the showboat activity and you're encouraging it by not stopping it as a coach. It draws a penalty in the highest form of the sport and many other intermediate levels so allowing it says it's ok for an individual to put his team at a disadvantage so he can feed his ego. His "fun" should come from scoring and if he doesn't see it that way then the effort needs go toward lessons in being grateful for opportunity's, his line, etc...

But the real point is lack of humility will give any person a good part of the problems they have in life. When coaching kids who don't know any better, if you've got a life lesson you can incorporate into the skills of the sport, I think you're obligated to do it.

I remember showing up to an all-star little league game with brand new spikes my mom got for me that were so shiny it almost hurt your eyes to look at 'em.

My coach told me baseball had nothing to do with high fashion and made me take them off and go rub dirt on them so I didn't stand out above or away from the rest of the team. I was pissed and didn't understand and was proud of those new spikes but I did it because he told me to. Now I understand why - in a big way and consider him one of the best coaches I ever had.

Thats funny, but Alk's right. That should be a penalty. At this age, playing fotball should be just as much about learning sportsmanship and how to be a part of a team as it is about just having fun playing the game. When I played little league 100 years ago, it was a against the rules to spike the ball. And it was a good rule.

I'd've spoken to the coach/dad after the game, and told him what I thought about that display.

Oh, I completely agree. I used to play hockey, and one time after scoring a goal I celebrated way over the top. My father just came up to me and said, 'Act like this wasn't the first goal you've ever scored'. I got it.

Softies up there, starts at 5 down here. I can't wait to have a kid for this reason only. I'll have the mega camera, talk about little Jbro like hes in the NFL.

PeeWee football was the ****. Weigh ins and stuff. It was so legit. There would be more fans at those games then some highschool games.

Jbro just a question -- What if your kid does not want to play sports - not all kids do.

Mine did at a young age but after he turned 9 he had no more fun with so that was it much to my disappointment but I refuse to be one of those a-hole parents that force their kids into it . I have seen it enough times and I just can't stand them.

One time when my son was seven and playing baseball. The opposing pitcher was a complete hog. No matter were the ball was hit he would run in front of the other kids and not throw the ball to first but would run to the bag. Now I knew this came from the kids parent (Look Jimmy the other kids stink you have to do it all.)So this huge kid on my sons team comes to bat and hits one down 3rd base way well Jimmy grabs the ball and starts running to first base. Well it was a tie and big boy crashed into Jimmy sending him flying when he landed the wind was knocked out of him and was crying like a baby. I felt a bit guilty but a big smile came over my face and I thoght 'That will teach him". :rolleyes:

I don't see the harm in celebrating a big play

winning is fun. losing is embarassing and stinks. Whether the other team celebrates or not you should feel bad about it.

oh i know they are just kids

BS the world waits on no one. and no one likes a tattle tale.

consider it a lesson learned

Jbro just a question -- What if your kid does not want to play sports - not all kids do.

Mine did at a young age but after he turned 9 he had no more fun with so that was it much to my disappointment but I refuse to be one of those a-hole parents that force their kids into it . I have seen it enough times and I just can't stand them.

One time when my son was seven and playing baseball. The opposing pitcher was a complete hog. No matter were the ball was hit he would run in front of the other kids and not throw the ball to first but would run to the bag. Now I knew this came from the kids parent (Look Jimmy the other kids stink you have to do it all.)So this huge kid on my sons team comes to bat and hits one down 3rd base way well Jimmy grabs the ball and starts running to first base. Well it was a tie and big boy crashed into Jimmy sending him flying when he landed the wind was knocked out of him and was crying like a baby. I felt a bit guilty but a big smile came over my face and I thoght 'That will teach him". :rolleyes:

Then he better be able to rock out on the guitar.

Plus if he's half as competitive as me and my brothers I think he'll be alright.

And it sounds to me that Jimmy just wanted to win.

Archived