Is it ever too early to teach sportsmanship?

Alk

So tonight was my son's first flag football game of the season. I'm one of the coaches. It was a pretty even game when the opposing coaches son broke one and took it to the house. As he hits the goalline he leaps and does a somersault into the endzone. Me and our other coach just look at eachother in disbelief. Then I hear this kid's dad chuckling on the sideline. Freakin' incredible. This is just a few days after I chewed my son's a$$ for highstepping into the endzone on a drill in practice. Am I overreacting here or is this just plain ridiculous? Even some of our kids looked at me and asked why that wasn't a penalty.

it was a salchow Okie and my son nailed it;)

lol. Hope this ends up costing you thousands in therapy bills.

I didn't lose any sleep over it. I guess I just need to stop being surprised by people's actions. On another not, my son threw a TD pass to one of his buddies in the same game. The kid ran into the endzone turned around and ran back to the huddle. The end.

You're here to talk down about the Jets, that's what you do. This is not about getting along, contrary to what you think, I don't really have a problem with you, or what you do, but face reality, your hobby is to be obnoxious. Regardless of the whether it's the internet or real life, if you're going to spoil people's fun, in this case by always finding something negative to say about their favorite football team, which they care enough about to spend their time posting and reading about on a daily basis, even all offseason, heed your own advice and toughen up.

Wait one second buckaroo! That's MY job!!! MY hobby!

LOL!

Then he better be able to rock out on the guitar.

Plus if he's half as competitive as me and my brothers I think he'll be alright.

And it sounds to me that Jimmy just wanted to win.

Nothing wrong with that but you can't do it all yourself -- another aspect of sportsmanship. :cheers:

Softies up there, starts at 5 down here. I can't wait to have a kid for this reason only. I'll have the mega camera, talk about little Jbro like hes in the NFL.

PeeWee football was the ****. Weigh ins and stuff. It was so legit. There would be more fans at those games then some highschool games.

I love Pee Wee Football. It's awesome. Hehe, buncha bobble-heads.

I don't agree with that hot dog type stuff at all, but at least they're KEEPING SCORE AT EIGHT YEARS OLD, ALK. Astounding, actually. They might be even more scarred for life if they didn't!

I love Pee Wee Football. It's awesome. Hehe, buncha bobble-heads.

I don't agree with that hot dog type stuff at all, but at least they're KEEPING SCORE AT EIGHT YEARS OLD, ALK. Astounding, actually. They might be even more scarred for life if they didn't!

I think the hotdogging kind of goes with the keeping score. Sometimes you'll win and sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you'll play against a classy team, other times jerks. I wouldn't worry about the other team and I would coach "my" team on how to deal with it. Get ready for the real world, don't regulate anything distasteful out of it.

As I said before, I never had a problem with hotdogging, but then again my godfather was a teammate of my dad and his nickname was 'boat. Short for showboat. None of us was ever particularly malicious about it. I don't know what happened in Alk's game, but if a little hotdogging is done in fun, who cares? Is this the NoFunLeague? I think being all proud of "acting like you've been there before" is kind of lame. Coach yourselves a bunch of robots Joe Pa. Show a little joy, just don't be a dick about it and shake hands and talk about it after the game.

I think the hotdogging kind of goes with the keeping score. Sometimes you'll win and sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you'll play against a classy team, other times jerks. I wouldn't worry about the other team and I would coach "my" team on how to deal with it. Get ready for the real world, don't regulate anything distasteful out of it.

As I said before, I never had a problem with hotdogging, but then again my godfather was a teammate of my dad and his nickname was 'boat. Short for showboat. None of us was ever particularly malicious about it. I don't know what happened in Alk's game, but if a little hotdogging is done in fun, who cares? Is this the NoFunLeague? I think being all proud of "acting like you've been there before" is kind of lame. Coach yourselves a bunch of robots Joe Pa. Show a little joy, just don't be a dick about it and shake hands and talk about it after the game.

Well, I had a two-fold point. I think competetiveness in sports is not only good - it's psychologically healthy. Kids need to fail to gain strength of character. I just never liked smack. If we were to stretch things, gone are the days of Gayle Sayers and Walter Payton. Why do you think the media didn't have more to say about Curtis Martin? He wasn't a fatmouth.

And that is where we fail.

I agree with your point. We do not want robots or to regulate the fun out of sports.

I think there is a time and place for hotdogging like I think you alluded to.

An 8 year old though, should not be doing that. That was a teaching point for that coach/dad that he obviously failed.

You are not Adrian Peterson in Madden10 or unamed NCAA football player in a college video game. You are an 8 year old in Kansas who will likely never smell the NFL.

Live in the real world so you are able to deal with it when you get older. That way we do not have to read another article of an athlete that broke some law because they fell they are above the law.

Archived