Jets' Sanchez Ready For Cerebral Patriots

floridajet

Rookie Quarterback Says He's Doing His Homework As He Crams For Major Exam Against Belichick & Co.

FLORHAM PARK, N.Y. (AP) ―

Mark Sanchez received a game ball and plenty of praise after winning in his NFL debut.

The New York Jets' rookie quarterback enjoyed it all for a few hours, and then got back to work. No time for complacency, not with the New England Patriots up next.

"The biggest thing about last week is that it's over," Sanchez said Wednesday. "Last week seems like a millennium ago."

It's only been a few days, of course, but preparing for a defense coached by Bill Belichick can certainly make the hours of studying and watching film add up. Add in the fact that New England has traditionally been tough on rookie quarterbacks, and Sanchez knows he's in for another major test.

"I've heard plenty of that, and I know that this is a well-coached group, a disciplined group, a team that has great technique up front, in the secondary, their linebackers, they all play well together," Sanchez said. "It's important for me to be smart with the football and be on my game and know where our routes are, know where my hots are, and really just play smart. I know this is going to be a tough challenge for us."

That's not to say Houston wasn't, but Sanchez was certainly impressive in the 24-7 victory last Sunday. He went 18 of 31 for 272 yards and a touchdown, with one ill-advised pass picked off and returned for a touchdown. Sanchez wasn't sacked and routinely bought himself time with his feet.

On one play in the third quarter, Sanchez backpedaled to avoid the rush and completed a pass to Jerricho Cotchery.

"Feeling Mario Williams rushing on the outside, he backpedals," said former NFL coach Steve Mariucci on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Final." "I've never seen this before."

Sanchez's teammates raved about their new quarterback's confidence and his ability to lead, even as a rookie. The performance against the Texans cemented those beliefs.

"We saw Sanchez work his tail off in the offseason and prepare the way he needed to prepare," Cotchery said. "To see that translate into some success on the field, it was just a great day overall."

Sanchez was particularly impressive on third downs, completing nine passes for first downs.

"It's only one game and we've got a long road to go, but he definitely did impress," wide receiver Chansi Stuckey said. "He put us in the places we needed and did a great job."

Sanchez still saw room for improvement while watching the game film.

"There's plenty of mistakes in that game," he said. "It's riddled with mistakes and I've got a lot of work to do."

The fifth overall draft pick out of Southern California realizes things could turn out a lot different against New England on Sunday.

"It seems like each week in this league, there's obviously no slouches," he said. "Maybe in college, and Coach (Pete) Carroll will kill me for saying it, but you play a team, a program, that might not be as strong one week. And you don't change your preparation at all, but you kind of have that in the back of your head. You know. But in this league, there's nobody that you can take a week off for. Especially this group."

The Patriots have won three Super Bowls this decade in large part because of the aggressive defense complementing Tom Brady's high-scoring offense.

"We could see anything," Sanchez said. "And they're capable of playing anything, because of their athletes, because of the guys they have, their personnel. They can do it all."

Jets coach Rex Ryan isn't concerned about any added pressure Sanchez might feel going up against such a strong opponent so early in his career.

"No, this is an NFL quarterback," Ryan said. "Mark is an NFL quarterback and all he has to do is just play. This is a regular game for him, too."

That said, Sanchez knows the Patriots have beaten the Jets at the Meadowlands in eight straight games.

"This is our first divisional opponent, it's a home game. This is huge, for our fans, for us personally," he said. "At the same time, we don't want to blow this game up and make it bigger than it is, but we need to understand that it's important."

NOTES: LB David Harris was voted AFC defensive player of the week after getting 12 tackles, a sack, two quarterback hurries and a pass defensed against Houston. ... NT Kris Jenkins was limited with a sore lower back he got from playing with his kids. He should be fine for the game Sunday. "I get more bumps and bruises playing with my kids than on the football field," he said. ... DE Shaun Ellis was back at practice after missing the win Sunday because of a one-game suspension by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

http://wcbstv.com/local/jets.mark.sanchez.2.1188903.html

Archived